Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Chairman's Wife - Heather Alwen remembers the battle to take Charlton back to the Valley

2»

Comments

• Options
    Great piece of writing @Weegie Addick

We are all indebted to the Alwens. Had to smile at the comment about Carl Leaburn...I see him at work now and again...he’d certainly out-beast Akinfenwa these days!! A really lovely guy too.
  • Options
    As we have seen again this past 4+ years, PR is often the only weapon people have to right a wrong imposed by "the powers that be". It served its purpose during the clear up day, just as it is now in the fans' struggle to get back the club we all support.
  • Options
    Excellent article. Well done, Weegie.
  • Options
    Great article which only goes to prove what a special club it is to support
  • Options
    Excellent article.
    I remember those times well.
  • Options
    As good a read as everyone has said, cheers Weegie!
  • Options
    25May98 said:

There were two clear up days. Please tell me this is true. I went to both? I'm sure I did.

I've still got the blisters.

Yes, I'm pretty sure there were two clear up days on consecutive Sundays. I think the big fire was lit on the second Sunday.
  • Options
    Superb piece brought a tear to my eyes. How our club used to be. Do one Roland please.
  • Options

25May98 said:

There were two clear up days. Please tell me this is true. I went to both? I'm sure I did.

Yes, I'm pretty sure there were two clear up days on consecutive Sundays. I think the big fire was lit on the second Sunday.
    The fire was at the first one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

25May98 said:

The fire was at the first one.
    I was on the back page of The Mercury at the first one.
    One of my most memorable days, framed and in my bedroom to this day, now tarnished forever.
  • Options
    Lovely piece @Weegie Addick
  • Options
    I echo all the comments Heather. Really very good.
  • Options
    Pretty pissed off at hearing the clear-up at The Valley was a PR stunt, I went down there with some mates on the Sunday morning after we beat Boro 2-0 at Selhurst and ruined a nice pair of Nike trainers!
  • Options

Pretty pissed off at hearing the clear-up at The Valley was a PR stunt, I went down there with some mates on the Sunday morning after we beat Boro 2-0 at Selhurst and ruined a nice pair of Nike trainers!

Pretty sure they’d still be okay for our current owner to wear...
  • Options

Pretty pissed off at hearing the clear-up at The Valley was a PR stunt, I went down there with some mates on the Sunday morning after we beat Boro 2-0 at Selhurst and ruined a pair of plimsoles!

Fixed that for you Ormy… :wink:

The bit about boardroom sexism rings so true. I recall being lucky enough to be invited into the directors box at an away game at that famously hospitable northern bastion, Sheffield Wednesday, in 1989.

Male officials and directors only allowed in the boardroom. Directors wives were banished to an outer room, where there was no food on offer to anyone. Judy Ufton and Heather were unfazed, and just made their way down to the concourse and grabbed a couple of hotdogs off the stall down there. Before KO, Derek, Roger and Chris Parkes smuggled some grub out for the rest of us... :lol: