Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Woolwich Ferry boats....only 2 weeks left

12346»

Comments

• Options
    That has all the hallmarks of a Spanish builder.
    It was nailed on it wouldn't open at the start of January, but to not be able to give a revised date? Not even manana.
  • Options
    The new Woolwich ferries will not be operating for the foreseeable future as TfL has decided more testing is required.

It is unknown when the service will be up and running again after it was decided this morning that it still wasn't up to scratch.

The original unveiling and relaunch of the new and improved piers and boats was set for December 2018.

TfL apologised after it was delayed, before a limited run began last Friday (February 1).

The crossing was suspended in October last year, and it is now unknown for how long the service will be out of action.
    https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/17409441.new-woolwich-ferry-service-suspended-again-due-to-more-testing-needed/
  • Options
    TfL delivering projects late.
    Well I never.
  • Options
    You'd think they'd learn their lesson about making promises they can't keep
  • Options
    Why didn't they sign a replacement before selling him.

I mean, why didn't they trial the new ferry boat first, before withdrawing the old ones?

Sounds just like Roland to me.

• Options
    Sounds like a way for the mayor of London to end the Woolwich ferry service, they decide the design not suitable and that no more money left for new replacements. They then sell off these new boats and so minimise the expense.
  • Options
    msomerton said:

Sounds like a way for the mayor of London to end the Woolwich ferry service, they decide the design not suitable and that no more money left for new replacements. They then sell off these new boats and so minimise the expense.

I think I’m right in saying that ending the Free Woolwich Ferry would take an act of Parliament. Given the relative insignificance of the overall importance of TWF in national terms. No parliamentary time would be made available to end it.

I’m sure someone will know more.

• Options
    msomerton said:

Well, they've certainly ended the ferry service since October.

Authorities and councils are severely squeezed, starved or almost bankrupt.
    Infrastructure is falling apart in this country.

I just can't think why?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

I mean, why didn't they trial the new ferry boat first, before withdrawing the old ones?

The new boats probably aren't the problem.They can't be used straight away, as the ramps need to be modified to fit them, so there was always going to be a closure while this was happening
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Oggy Red said:

The new boats probably aren't the problem.They can't be used straight away, as the ramps need to be modified to fit them, so there was always going to be a closure while this was happening

"TfL apologised after it was delayed, before a limited run began last Friday (February 1)".

It would appear the modified ramps must already be in place, if "a limited run" had already begun last Friday.

Perhaps the new boats or something directly part of their operation, is the problem after all?
    Someone hasn't got the logistics or functionality right. Anyway, they are way behind schedule.

And still there's no ferry service.
  • Options
    Not sure if the delay is anything to do with this at all but.... the old ferries as far as I know, once docked onto the loading ramps were held in place by the action of the Diesel engines. I think the new boats are held in situ by electro magnets. Perhaps this is needing more tests ?
  • Options

Not sure if the delay is anything to do with this at all but.... the old ferries as far as I know, once docked onto the loading ramps were held in place by the action of the Diesel engines. I think the new boats are held in situ by electro magnets. Perhaps this is needing more tests ?

Yes, that is the problem. One of the boats was working last weekend.
  • Options
    Causing quite a long tail back towards Charlton from the roundabout too.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Causing quite a long tail back towards Charlton from the roundabout too.

That's all the free agents waiting to see Lee Bowyer
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Yes, that is the problem. One of the boats was working last weekend.
    It was only running on the north bound trips.
  • Options
    They ran a "service" yesterday. I went for a lunchtime walk along the Thames Path and they seemed to be having real problems docking them at the South pier. They were taking ages and seemed to be having two or three attempts to get lined up.

Went past today and lots of yellow jackets on board scratching heads.
  • Options
    At least they have ferries, unlike Seaborne Freight who are operating Ramsgate to Ostend services in 52 days with government handouts.
  • Options
    I'm gutted and had no idea this was happening. My mum's dad used to work at Woolwich Power Station and knew the ferrymen, he used to take me on the ferry's every week and we were allowed to watch the engines working from the engine room. Another piece of my childhood going.... I must try and get down there before the 5th.
    Ffs Wally, they replaced that one ages ago. ;)
    Where did you get that pic, Ray? That's the paddle steamer I remember when I was a little lad!
    I remember seeing that get destroyed by Behemoth.
    Somebody just posted this on FB, so here is Behemoth in action. 

https://youtu.be/USiDZVqqQcg
  • Options
    Remains of the old ferry.
    Image may contain sky outdoor and water
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Image may contain sky and outdoor
  • Options
    Should never have replaced them looking at the poor service the new boats are delivering.
  • Options
    I think I’m right in saying that ending the Free Woolwich Ferry would take an act of Parliament. Given the relative insignificance of the overall importance of TWF in national terms. No parliamentary time would be made available to end it. I’m sure someone will know more.
    If an act is required, the government would get a backbencher to move one of those Friday afternoon bills, get it through on the nod with no scrutiny.
  • Options
    Interesting - are those in France, Clive?
  • Options
    Paddy7 said:
    I believe so,i found the photos on a local Plumstead forum.
  • Options
    Cheers.
  • Options
    clive said:
    Paddy7 said:
    I believe so,i found the photos on a local Plumstead forum.
    Yes, I remember reading at the time that they're being scrapped in France