Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Places you used to hang out as a kid

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2018
    We used to walk or cycle to a few pillboxes next to the site of a disused WW2 aerodrome. This picture is one of them, near Wellingore in Lincolnshire.

My mum used to tell me they had rats and rat poison in and never to go inside them. So we did. We also used to run around wheatfields.

We knew how to have a good time.
  • Options

Bursted Woods pitch and putt was at the bottom of my road. Used to play in the woods and also football on the green there. In the holiday periods would get paid by the ranger to put out the tee bollards and flags. In addition, got loads of free rounds whenever not busy.

Regularly played Football, cricket and tennis at North Heath rec.

Bursted Woods pitch and putt... the smell of baking bread drifting across. Also Starling's fish and chips on Brook Street.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Mid to late 60's it was Avery Hill Park, either playing football or just hanging around...also in the orchard that was opposite the now Sparrows Lane Training Ground. The New Eltham youth club by the Methodist Church on Footscray Road, always 'scraps' happening outside there. Then, early 70's under age drinking in Beehive, New Eltham, or The Crossways, sometimes The Royal and then The Royal Eltham. After 17 it was the New Eltham WMC, Carpenters Arms and Rising Sun on Eltham High St, moving onto the Old Kent Road and The Dun Cow, Lord Wellington, World Turned Upside down or The Price of wales. Yup had a few pints in the old days!!, and quite a few scraps......them were the days, just fists...no knives/guns!! Great memories...and some painful ones when I'd had a few hidings!!
  • Options
    Samuel Montague Boys Club, brilliant days.
  • Options
    Playing curbey outside my house and general hanging around in our cul de sac behind the William Camden

Riding our bikes (none of that wheelie shite) round Crook Log, Pickford Lane, Danson Park etc

Drinking, smoking and general naughtiness at the Cannon on Welling Corner them down to the Rock Gardens in Danson Park

Great memories
  • Options
    Summer time (early 80s) spent daylight hours in martens grove park, Bexleyheath either in the open air swimming pool or playing 20 a-side football for 3 hours each half.
  • Options
    The British Oak in Old Dover Road where the great Bob Curtis liked a pint.
  • Options
    Used to play football on the common behind the old Welcome Inn (Westmount Rd, Eltham) back in the late 70's....about 10 to 15 boys..jumpers as goal post...loved it
  • Options

The British Oak in Old Dover Road where the great Bob Curtis liked a pint.

My aunt used to work behind the bar, drank there a few times and remember seeing Bob.
  • Options
    The Court Disco in Welling as a 15 year old. The George pub in Greenwich then down to The Millers in my early 20s.

Eltham and Danson Lidos during my school summer holidays, along with getting up to mischief on Middle Park Estate, playing football in Peak Freens sports ground (now Colfes school sports ground)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Moatbridge youth centre in Middle Park, Eltham.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Brands Hatch, practice days, and Streatham ice rink on Saturday mornings.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    The Lovell.

For official youth centre stuff. Not even from Welling. I trained five nights a week at Bexley swimming so wasn’t allowed to hang out before that.
  • Options
    Avery Hill Park, Parish Park woods (Avery Hill estate) Avery Hill Youth Club. First drinking in pubs around 15 was at Jolly Fenman. Irish guv called John who let you stay if you behaved yourself. First 5 pint session (Sam Smiths) aged 16 down The Dive, student bar at Avery Hill Teacher Training College.
    I grew up in the Avery Hill area.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Curb_It said:

The Lovell.

For official youth centre stuff. Not even from Welling. I trained five nights a week at Bexley swimming so wasn’t allowed to hang out before that.

Never knew you were a swimmer. My daughter swam for Erith & District Swimming Club from age 5 to 14, represented Kent, London and had Team GB trials. I know all about the training nights and early mornings being dads taxi.

I thought she might go on to represent the UK at the Olympics but then she discovered boys and Smirnoff Ice.
  • Options
    Lamorby residents association disco on burnt oak lane. Swinging rope building or stepping stones across the shuttle river (stream) in goats field or willersley park. The ‘haunted house’ behind willersley park now the hollies. The oval pet shop. Dillons Sidcup station, kings fish and chip shop, the ‘moon’, Prince Albert, bull and Vic, Zens.
  • Options

Curb_It said:

The Lovell.

Never knew you were a swimmer. My daughter swam for Erith & District Swimming Club from age 5 to 14, represented Kent, London and had Team GB trials. I know all about the training nights and early mornings being dads taxi.

I thought she might go on to represent the UK at the Olympics but then she discovered boys and Smirnoff Ice.
    I didn't know either @curbit. We must have been at galas together. I swam for Woolwich Training and Swimming Club from 1970-1980. Training schedule was bloody tough looking back now, early morning Eltham small pool Mon, Wed, Fri before school. Tuesdays evenings Eltham main pool, Thursday evenings Plumstead baths (I can still smell that place!) Sunday mornings Woolwich Baths and Galas on Saturday nights.
    Had some top coaches at WT&SC like Bill Penny and Dave Hicks.
  • Options

The Court Disco in Welling as a 15 year old. The George pub in Greenwich then down to The Millers in my early 20s.

Eltham and Danson Lidos during my school summer holidays, along with getting up to mischief on Middle Park Estate, playing football in Peak Freens sports ground (now Colfes school sports ground)

I used to go to the Court in Welling every Saturday night. Also Zoom Zoom in Sidcup. Used to drink under age in Ye Olde Black Horse, Sidcup.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

The Lovell.

Also at Bexley swimming @Curb_It ! Probably a decade before you
  • Options

Hilltop Cafe on the corner of Anglesea and Crescent Roads

I used to live on Anglesea Rd right across from the cafe I used they my tea and Sarnie and hang out With the GreenGrocer next door, if I remember right he guy used to cycle from Erith every day to open up. As I got older we moved to Kidbrooke and we would Caddie at The Royal Blackheath Golf Course at the end of the day we would all head up to the Wimpy Bar in Eltham for Burgers and Finish it off with a Knickerboker Glory Oh Boy Happy Days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And if course the Weekends it was always The Welcome Inn.
  • Options

And if course the Weekends it was always The Welcome Inn.

You need a bit of WD40 on your Caps Lock key fella...
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

In the early 70’s, disco in the ‘Crypt’ under Our Lady of Grace church in Charlton, then after to sit in the Blackheath Standard Shed ... not even sure now what it was but had quite a few seats covered by a roof facing the road, not far from the Standard pub. Wasn’t even by a bus stop.

Quite a few Covered Enders always used to be around.

Thinking back now, lots of Charlton from Cherry Orchard, Blackheath Village and Greenwich. Kev Hopkins used to do the disco occasionally.
    When you say he did the disco do you mean he DJ'd or roughed 'em up a little. :smile:

If DJ'd I knew him from the early 70s & never knew that.

Think he's in Spain now
  • Options

Along with most other kids when they got to 15 or 16..........the Moon & Sixpence by Welling station.

Or the Station Hotel as some of us will remember it :smile:
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    <.
  • Options
    Bickley arms chislehhf

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

In the early 70’s, disco in the ‘Crypt’ under Our Lady of Grace church in Charlton, then after to sit in the Blackheath Standard Shed ... not even sure now what it was but had quite a few seats covered by a roof facing the road, not far from the Standard pub. Wasn’t even by a bus stop.

Quite a few Covered Enders always used to be around.

Thinking back now, lots of Charlton from Cherry Orchard, Blackheath Village and Greenwich. Kev Hopkins used to do the disco occasionally.
    When you say he did the disco do you mean he DJ'd or roughed 'em up a little. :smile:

If DJ'd I knew him from the early 70s & never knew that.

Think he's in Spain now
    He is indeed in Spain now.
    We keep in touch regularly he is next coming over for Blackpool away.
  • Options
    The muddies down by the river in Charlton.
    Always a nicked bike/car to mess around on.
    Also Telfers & Lyons Maid to pop into for some food :-)
  • Options

Hilltop Cafe on the corner of Anglesea and Crescent Roads

I used to live on Anglesea Rd right across from the cafe I used they my tea and Sarnie and hang out With the GreenGrocer next door, if I remember right he guy used to cycle from Erith every day to open up. As I got older we moved to Kidbrooke and we would Caddie at The Royal Blackheath Golf Course at the end of the day we would all head up to the Wimpy Bar in Eltham for Burgers and Finish it off with a Knickerboker Glory Oh Boy Happy Days.
    I grew up in Conduit Rd, the GreenGrocer next door from the Hilltop, was Bill, he was a lovely man, he used to rent he's space from the guy who had the café Harold, you are right he used to cycle from Erith every day, if I was passing I used to get him a cup of tea from the café, you must have lived near the Robert Peel pub, where I had my first pint of bitter
  • Options

Bursted Woods pitch and putt was at the bottom of my road. Used to play in the woods and also football on the green there. In the holiday periods would get paid by the ranger to put out the tee bollards and flags. In addition, got loads of free rounds whenever not busy.

Regularly played Football, cricket and tennis at North Heath rec.

Pretty much the same including the waste ground behind mothers pride bakery, the pheasant, less ness abbbey and the quarry on Erith Rd
  • Options
    Charlton, Maryon and Maryon Wilson Parks were my playgrounds. I was never allowed to go to Hornfair Park after a young lad called Drew Bowman drowned in the Lido. It was off limits as far as my mum was concerned.