Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite seaside town in England.

Comments

• Options

Rob7Lee said:

Winterton on sea, go every year and have for about 15 years. Was only about 5 years ago I found out it’s where my ancestors originated, ran the lifeboats there and at Caister.

Southwold has a lifeboat 'museum' (worth a look round, it's a tiny place) .. I believe that the Victorian era lifeboat on display is the old one from Caister ..
    The Lifeboat house at Southwold originally came from Cromer, and the lifeboat is the "John Corry" at one time stationed at Southwold. My favourite sea side town has got to be Southwold, Adnams brewery, the lighthouse,and pier, and of course, I live there. My second, would be my late wife's home town of Fowey, in Cornwall. I know she would have liked to move back there when I retired, but I told her, it was too far to come up to the Valley, for each game. The East Angilia coast has quite a few attractive coastal towns, Aldeborogh, Warberswick. Cromer, Sherrinham, Wells-next- the-Sea, and Burnham Quay. (I think thats what it's called) But we are very lucky, here in England, to have so many fine seaside resorts to choose from.
    Have been going to Southwold for about 25 years , and although still love the place I do feel it has lost a bit of it's charm over the years , closure of a few shops , the arrival of a tescos express etc , the revamp of the Sole Bay Inn a few years back removed a bit of it's character. Think it has lost it's hidden secret as it once was with more and more tourists and most homes being holiday homes. The pubs in general , the pier and the long walk to the Harbour Inn still have great appeal though , hopefully it can retain it's attraction for many a year. Be interested to hear your take of things as a resident.
    I do so agree, it has changed so much over the years, as, I suppose, do a lot of places. We have lost two more pubs, the Kings Head, and the Southwold Arms, the others, well, not what they used to be, including the Randolph, in Reydon. As for the new builds, the bloke who designed those, must have had a bad hangover when he drew them up. The little shop, opposite the Blyth Hotel, the garage and bike shop behind it are due for demolition, goodness knows what they have got planned to take their place. Well, the tourists do bring some welcome trade to the town, however, in the evening, and in the winter, we do get the town back to ourselves Basically, I still think it's a pleasant place to live, The seafront, the dunes down to the harbour, and the Adnams ale round at the Con Club will keep me there, and, taking some stick, from the Tractor Boys in town, for being a Charlton supporter, make it all worthwhile.
    Cheers Sole Bay , yep a great place to live still , hope to be up there at some point soon. Never met an Ipswich fan there though.
  • Options
    Shakespeare Beach, Dover. The only place I know with a handrail to get in and out of the sea.
  • Options
    Ashers said:

Lynton and Lynmouth on the edge of Exmoor are beautiful

Agreed

This thread is reminding me
    a) That I've visited a lot of seaside towns
    b) There are still plenty more to visit :smile:

Ilfracombe is a nice place too. Indeed virtually any seaside town in the Southwest is lovely
  • Options
    So many places to visit after reading this thread.
  • Options
    I like the hipster vibe of Frinton on Sea. It's the Brighton of Essex.
  • Options

Isn't it the most conservative place in Britain?
  • Options

And the driest isn't it, or is that neighbouring Holland-on Sea?
  • Options
    Stig said:

I think that Wakering is the driest place in England.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Going to put in a shout for Torquay. Never really fell into the doldrums and shabbiness experienced by many traditional English seaside resorts. As good a Marina and harbour as any English seaside and still lots of very good hotels. Has experienced big investment over last five years and more in the pipeline. Not much sign of the Kiss Me Quick brigade but because of its size and broad appeal it has some late night issues during the high season. Still a nice place to visit though.

Agree about Torquay, great place .. but good hotels ? .. what about Fawlty Towers ?
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited October 2018
    Stig said:

Been to Holland-on-sea a lot recently for work, see plenty of pubs etc , or do you mean weather?
  • Options

Or as the saying goes, Clacton for the continent, Frinton for the incontinent
  • Options

Going to put in a shout for Torquay. Never really fell into the doldrums and shabbiness experienced by many traditional English seaside resorts. As good a Marina and harbour as any English seaside and still lots of very good hotels. Has experienced big investment over last five years and more in the pipeline. Not much sign of the Kiss Me Quick brigade but because of its size and broad appeal it has some late night issues during the high season. Still a nice place to visit though.

Agree about Torquay, great place .. but good hotels ? .. what about Fawlty Towers ?
    Funnily enough I once stayed in the hotel that John Cleese based his Fawlty Towers on. Was different owners by this time. About seven years ago. Walls full of signed photographs of the series. Was demolished last year and the site now has an apartment block.

• Options
    Ashers said:

Lynton and Lynmouth on the edge of Exmoor are beautiful

Make sure you're car has got good brakes if you are driving down to Lynmouth.
  • Options
    Woolacombe in Devon is superb also.
  • Options
    Lunan beach between Arbroath and Montrose is lovely too, spent a few Saturday afternoons when not watching Cowdenbeath...up there with the Mrs.
  • Options

Stig said:

As a Wakering resident I can confirm that it has the lowest rainfall, but with four pubs, two clubs and Mrs Stig's wine stash it's not the driest in the sense I was referring to ;-)
  • Options

Eastbourne.

I live there and I really like the place. Working in Brighton is a fun place to drink and explore. Fiancée is from Hastings so I have spent many hours and days in that town. Old town is nice, but some parts are a hole.

I never really visit other seaside towns because I spend so much time near seafronts. However, I might visit some of these places next summer with all the great reviews you have given.

Why south west?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9 said:

Stig said:

Been to Holland-on-sea a lot recently for work, see plenty of pubs etc , or do you mean weather?
    I meant pubs, I thought it was one of those towns where the land was historically owned by the Salvation Army and they wouldn't allow drinking establishments. If not Holland maybe Frinton or somewhere around that way.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Stig said:

As a Wakering resident I can confirm that it has the lowest rainfall, but with four pubs, two clubs and Mrs Stig's wine stash it's not the driest in the sense I was referring to ;-)
    @Stig small world. I'm in Hullbridge. I often cycle out to Wakering.
  • Options

clb74 said:

Eastbourne.

I live there and I really like the place. Working in Brighton is a fun place to drink and explore. Fiancée is from Hastings so I have spent many hours and days in that town. Old town is nice, but some parts are a hole.

I never really visit other seaside towns because I spend so much time near seafronts. However, I might visit some of these places next summer with all the great reviews you have given.

Why south west?
    Use to live in South West London, moved back to the coast. Decided against changing my username because I felt I worked too hard building a strong brand, and levels of credibility as a top poster on here to throw it all away by changing my username and starting again as SouthEast_addicks.

I hope this clears up the matter.
    I'm even more confused I'd of had you down in Devon or Cornwall.
    Was wondering if I could get a 3 bed for 100k down there.
    South West London I'm getting a Wendy house for 100k
  • Options

Stig said:

Stig said:

@Stig small world. I'm in Hullbridge. I often cycle out to Wakering.
    Small world indeed, I rode my motorbike through Hullbridge today.
  • Options
    Carter said:

I think we are blessed in Kent, we've got some glorious beaches Jos Bay, Minnis Bay, Westgate are some of my favourites

Margate is nice too, the old town has some good pubs and is kept fairly clear of shitheads

Fine dining in Margate:

From the front this looks like a regular hot dog stand, but from behind you can see it's nothing but a plywood facia.
  • Options
    I live in Whitstable and still love walking along the beach, even in winter. It's not my favourite seaside town in England though. I have a soft spot for Broadstairs because I was born and brought up there. Salcombe was the nicest I've been to but that was about ten years ago and I'd imagine it's quite a tourist attraction now.
  • Options

Barmouth, N.Wales.

The town is not really anythingto write home about, but you can park at the station on the other side of the estuary and then walk across the railway bridge with some spectacular views, then grab some fish and chips and eat them out the wrapping down by the sea front or while you check out the tacky fun fair. Very pleasant on a warm summer's evening

Been there, as my cousin worked nearby. My god... The town is like something out of scooby doo. We went to a nightclub called the sand dancer... Hell's waiting room
  • Options
    As kids we were Hastings dymchurch and winchelsea. Mainly
    Now I live up north it’s Whitby Scarborough and skeggy Vegas.
    Scarborough probably favourite it’s got everything.
  • Options

As kids we were Hastings dymchurch and winchelsea. Mainly
    Now I live up north it’s Whitby Scarborough and skeggy Vegas.
    Scarborough probably favourite it’s got everything.

Hoping to visit Scarborough next year - definitely on my list.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Barmouth, N.Wales.

The town is not really anythingto write home about, but you can park at the station on the other side of the estuary and then walk across the railway bridge with some spectacular views, then grab some fish and chips and eat them out the wrapping down by the sea front or while you check out the tacky fun fair. Very pleasant on a warm summer's evening

Been there, as my cousin worked nearby. My god... The town is like something out of scooby doo. We went to a nightclub called the sand dancer... Hell's waiting room
    I know it well - my old man used to run a good sized hotel in the centre, long since sold off as apartments. The surrounding countryside and coast are staggeringly lovely, but the town itself is a scrappy little place. Scooby Doo hits the nail on the head.
    Im amazed the Sandancer is still going - I remember it opening back in the early 80s, and it was pretty grim even then.