Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jazz clubs suggestions this Saturday 20th October

In town for a few days stopover on route from Tel Aviv to Perth, hoping to celebrate our Saturday romp over barnsley at a jazz club preferably not too far from my airbnb place (Kensington ), but all suggestions are welcome, open for lesser known clubs.

Come on Paddy...

Comments

• Bulls Head at Barnes has regular jazz but Saturday seems to be labelled blues, The Simone Craddock Collective.
  • Oliver’s Jazz Bar Greenwich
  • 606 club, Jazz and Blues @ 90 Lots Road, West Brompton.
  • Kensington .. got to be Ronnie Scotts .. Mingus Big Band is sold out Saturday evening .. there is a late show with the Laurence Cottle Quartet .. but how late is 'late' ?
  • Jazz Cafe Camden has Steam Down Orchestra !
  • I'd second Oliver's in Greenwich if you're south.

If you can get tickets though, you can't beat Ronnie Scott's.
  • Jazz Cafe Camden has Steam Down Orchestra !

• Oliver’s Jazz Bar Greenwich

Absolute +1 for Oliver's generally. Not sure who or what's on this weekend though - Sundays will be a 6-9pm jam session or thereabouts... Yeah.

If you're in Kensington then Ronnie's is likely best, but the Late show will probably be a 1am job.

My choice of what's on?

Clark Tracey is on at the Vortex, Shoreditch, on Saturday night at 8pm - worth checking out. The trumpeter Alex Ridout is a good mate's sister (said mate is a demon on sax and recorder) - she's really really good.

Then maybe go Ronnie's if you can stay awake afterward!
  • Thanks everyone, know all about Ronnie's of course, the Greenwich one is an interesting suggestion, use to go to the Bull's head sundays ages ago.

Will follow on all of them. Cheers
  • edited October 2018
    For whoever wants to know, I ended up at the Polish club in Hammersmith watching Janusz Kohut, followed by the Nigel Price quartet.
    Janusz Kohut began the evening with piano solo performance which was bizzarely wonderful.
    Tha man is so uneven his material ranges from sort of banal Clayderman lost brother on steroids to Stokhousen via shostakovich and chick Corea. Anyone who moves me without making sense is my kind of artist !!!
    Outstanding !!!

So on to the main act.
    Nigel Price really sing on his guitar, what more can you ask after your 4th Shiraz...
    And I have never seen anyone do walking bass under his right hand comping (or soloing) the way Ross Stanley does.
    During the break a few of us bidding pianists all came to check that there's only one of him.
    Vasilis Xenopoulus on tenor sax was brilliant but also sounded brilliant with the band (very rare amongst most modern day Coltranes)
    Drummer Steve Brown was tight and a brave syncopayer at times.

But most importantly, as a band they sounded fantastic and never alienated any of the audience.
    Wonderful !!!

Staggered back to my tube jurney humming their version of 'You don't know what love is'
    I beg to differ.
    Been to the Valley only a few hours before...
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2018
    ^^^^ glad that you found an unusual venue and you enjoyed the entertainment