Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Apple Computer

Going to buy an Apple Mac Computer,and advice as to who to buy from. I have seen on line that some stores are not always helpful, and after sales service is not tiptop. The three stores that I know of, Apple Sores,Stomfront, and John Lewis.

Comments

• Options
    Apple - I’ve only ever got macs from them.
  • Options
    I bought both my and my wife's MacBook Pros from John Lewis. No issues with setting them up.
  • Options
    I don’t think there’s much discount to be found on Apple products - so I’d go with either Apple directly or John Lewis.
  • Options
    JLP are currently knocking out 2017 MacBooks for £100 less then the 2018 additions at the moment. Buying from Apple in store is a pretty good experience
  • Options
    you'd be hard pressed to find a supplier with any kind of discount on apple products. I would buy directly from Apple.

Also recommended, spend a little extra on some extra RAM. Most imacs come with spare RAM slots easily accessible from the back. There's loads of youtube videos and doesnt require much technical knowledge above sliding in the stick of RAM til it clicks into place.
  • Options
    When I last bought one from John Lewis they were giving a second years warranty free. I think the normal warranty from Apple is one year.
  • Options
    My MacBook Pro was bought late 2012 from John Lewis. I later discovered it was an early 2011 version, so be savvy and make sure what exactly you are buying. Love my MacBook Pro and my iPhone!
  • Options
    Just find it easier to buy direct from apple tbh, you'll do well to find it cheaper anywhere else
  • Options
    Stormfront give 3years warranty,but some reports say their after sales is not always good.
  • Options
    Good advice re maximising RAM. I did mine myself, it was easy. As time goes on, programs, apps etc get more complicated, the more RAM you need
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2018
    spend out on Apple Care, these beauties only have 1 year warranty normally, I think you can also buy on Apple credit and get some kind of cover included (but check that)
  • Options
    Bought mine from Apple. If you use British Airways at all and are a member of their Executive Club - click thru from their website and you can get Avios (same with John Lewis).
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    The best Apple product by far. Only the iPad beats it's competitors as easily and that's failing to evolve whilst it's competitors get better and better.

I love our iMac. All other Apple products can feck off!
  • Options
    If you know a registered student or university/college staff with an ac.uk email address, buy it through the apple for education programme and you'll save anywhere between 10-15% on high street / online prices.

The student discount is administered through the unidays service.

Same applies to Dell through their education service.
  • Options
    Think the Logic Board has gone on my 20111 MacBook Pro.

It was a known issue apparently with that range (the eco replacement lead cracks under heat or something) and after a US lawsuit Apple were replacing the board, although that seemed to have stopped now.

I have yet to confirm that is the issue (starting in Safe, Repair, Internet Repair, Single User Modes and zapping the NVRAM hasn’t booted the Mac) but if it is, then I am looking at repairing it.

Any good recommendations? I’d rather go down the soldering route than board replacement. I have a few numbers but wouldn’t mind more.....

Unless I spend 2K on another one ( btw not getting a PC as use Mac for work purposes)
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Go direct through Apple. It will save you a lot of aggro if something does go wrong with the computer.
  • Options
    Waste of money..
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Waste of money..

Yeah computers will never catch on....
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

PopIcon said:

Waste of money..

I remember saying that when on the corner of Court Road and Sidcup Road in Mottingham the Apple Shop was there opposite the Royal pub
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

PopIcon said:

Waste of money..

I had a Mac for many years. Now have a PC. It's faster, cheaper and runs more software.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    EastStand said:

Apple - I’ve only ever got macs from them.

Agreed

• Options
    PopIcon said:

Fumbluff said:

PopIcon said:

Waste of money..

I had a Mac for many years. Now have a PC. It's faster, cheaper and runs more software.
    True, but you'd be hard pressed to find a pc that's got a look and feel anything like as good as an iMac. Also, what choice is there when it comes to having the base unit built into the screen? That's a massive bonus in a domestic setting.
  • Options
    Stig said:

PopIcon said:

Fumbluff said:

PopIcon said:

Waste of money..

True, but you'd be hard pressed to find a pc that's got a look and feel anything like as good as an iMac. Also, what choice is there when it comes to having the base unit built into the screen? That's a massive bonus in a domestic setting.
    I loved my iMac (2011, 27", i5), I loved Logic Pro, I loved the look. But I'll it's highly unlikely I'll ever buy one again.
    It's like buying a new car and realising how shite the old one was.
    Anyhoo, sorry to highjack the thread. As you were.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Stig said:

PopIcon said:

Fumbluff said:

PopIcon said:

Waste of money..

I loved my iMac (2011, 27", i5), I loved Logic Pro, I loved the look. But I'll it's highly unlikely I'll ever buy one again.
    It's like buying a new car and realising how shite the old one was.
    Anyhoo, sorry to highjack the thread. As you were.
    Yep still using mine as well mate, but mine is a little older circa 2008, udated the operating the OS system, had to have the usual hard drive replaced, but at 10 years old, amazing that it has lasted, expect the unhappy face anyday?.... now for the past 2 years I have disconnected it from the internet, and use it about 3 times a week for photoshop\indesign. As you say will not be replacing, not only because of price but the software, £30+ a month plus, for the creative suite. My Mac Book Pro laptop, showing signs of concern, only 8 years old!. I used to replace these machines every 3 years at work, as you can see I like a 'bargain'...... as the adverts go. Bought an external hard drive last month, 4tb, £84, from Curry's. I like to think having pissed away, literally thousands at my companies, on there overpriced stuff, it is payback time.....Apple at Bluewater described my laptop as "vintage'... which made me laugh, cheeky little git!..... he kept very quiet when I asked him what mac he had at his parents house!........
  • Options
    Thank you for all your advice. As my imac is also 10 years old which makes me think about buying another one. Altho it does not get a lot of use,but is used every day on and off. It has been upgraded to Snow Leopard,but as it so old I cannot improve on that.