Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rochdale v Charlton | Sat 27 Oct | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Rochdale v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 27th October 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Andy Haines (Tyne & Wear)

Introduction

October for results has been rather mixed… With just one point from the first three games (which could easily have been nine) Charlton would host Barnsley not expecting much, yet a win would follow and all of a sudden confidence was back amongst the stands. On Tuesday, lowly Oxford would visit the Valley and once again topsy turvy form returned with the Addicks only managing a less than impressive draw…

This weekend they travel to Lancashire to face Rochdale for what is the last game of the month, lets hope (like the clocks the next day) Lee Bowyer and his men can spring back into form as we enter November!!

The Opposition
Name
: Rochdale | Manager: Keith Hill
Ground: Spotland

For our opponents this Saturday you'd hope that Charlton Athletic are a side that live long in their memory, seldom do fairy tales happen in real life yet sometimes they do - In May; Charlton travelled to Rochdale for the last game of the regular season not really needing the points whereas Rochdale did, only a win would keep them up and it would be fitting that their winning goal in the 1-0 victory would come from cancer survivor: Joe Thompson; Rochdale would live to fight another day, Oldham would be relegated to League Two!!

Much of last season was spent in relegation trouble, that was mainly due to FA Cup commitments and a poor pitch - This season has seen a bit more consistently from Keith Hill's side and another victory at Spotland on Saturday could see a healthy gap opening between them and the relegation zone...

Some things never change and once again Ian Henderson will be the main danger man and with nine goals already this term will be eager to add to his tally; Joe Thompson hasn’t played much this season (just the sole appearance in the League), yet if he were to return, you'd hope there will be no repeat of the fairy tale from May

Sorry Rochdale but its us who need maximum points this time round!!

Charlton Team News
When Charlton lined up against Barnsley last weekend there was one notable absentee from the bench; fresh from scoring twice against Stevenage in the Football League Trophy it was a surprise to hear of another injury befalling Igor Vetokele, post-match on Saturday; Lee Bowyer would confirm it was only a small issue and that the Angolan International should return for this Saturdays clash

Tuesday night saw Bowyer (unsurprisingly) rotating the team, firstly with Krystian Bielik dropping to the bench to avoid any repeat of his recent injury – You’d expect him to return to the heart of defence whilst Jamie Ward, who admitted cant play full matches anymore should return at the top of the diamond.

Steer
Dijksteel | Bielik | Pearce | Solly
Aribo | Cullen | Reeves
Ward
Grant | Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Sarr | Pratley | Lapslie | Fosu | Vetokele | Ajose

Prediction
When Lee Bowyer was nominated for the Manager of the Month award it was hoped that he’d lose out due to the managerial jinx that hangs over it – Instead it feels like he was jinxed anyway and I personally will be glad to see the back of October…

Rochdale are one of those nitty gritty teams at this level and wont be easy to beat, yet Charlton seem to be slipping back into the mid-table battle at the moment, its important we don’t let that gap back to the Play-Offs grow, regardless of any games in hand

Comments

• 2.1 Charlton and the start of another winning streak.
  • 2-1 to the addicks, will be a tough game as Rochdale aren't pushovers but feel we will get a result after dropping 2 in the week.
  • a win to keep us pushing along. 3-1
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • It's gonna be cold in the birthplace of the Co-op on Saturday .. we need to win this one but I don't think we will .. a draw is most likely ..
    Bielik back in defence (why did he not play on Tuesday ?) .. I am still concerned about Solly at left back (yes he's done a good makeshift job on the left and makeshift is the right word in this context) .. would like to see a back 3 with Solly on the right and Reeves on the left as wingbacks .. so ..
    Steer .. Pratley, Bielik, Pearce, … Solly, Aribo, Dijksteel, Cullen, Reeves .. Taylor, Grant with Ward on the bench

There is a nice club/pub/bar next to the ground, very comfy and nice and friendly .. I am looking forward to this one

Rochdale 2 v CAFC 2
  • 2-0 Charlton
  • It's gonna be cold in the birthplace of the Co-op on Saturday .. we need to win this one but I don't think we will .. a draw is most likely ..
    Bielik back in defence (why did he not play on Tuesday ?) .. I am still concerned about Solly at left back (yes he's done a good makeshift job on the left and makeshift is the right word in this context) .. would like to see a back 3 with Solly on the right and Reeves on the left as wingbacks .. so ..
    Steer .. Pratley, Bielik, Pearce, … Solly, Aribo, Dijksteel, Cullen, Reeves .. Taylor, Grant with Ward on the bench

There is a nice club/pub/bar next to the ground, very comfy and nice and friendly .. I am looking forward to this one

Rochdale 2 v CAFC 2

I like the look of the team but would have to replace Dijksteel in Midfield with Ward

We just dont look the same when we dont have that creative outlet at the top

Rochdale 2 v CAFC 2

I like the look of the team but would have to replace Dijksteel in Midfield with Ward

I was torn between the two .. went for Dijk as he doesn't deserve to be left out even though I just don't fancy him at right back.. perhaps Ward for Cullen ? .. it's good when it's hard to choose from a supposedly understrength squad

Rochdale 2 v CAFC 2

I was torn between the two .. went for Dijk as he doesn't deserve to be left out even though I just don't fancy him at right back.. perhaps Ward for Cullen ? .. it's good when it's hard to choose from a supposedly understrength squad
    Only thing I wonder if you were to leave out Ward (because its like Barnsley | Oxford where he's playing so many games on the trot) is if it were Reeves who was put at the top with Dijksteel out on the flank of the diamond, certainly gives the full back good cover seeing that he knows the requirements of playing in that position

Rochdale 2 v CAFC 2

https://www.castrust.org/2018/10/theres-a-welcome-in-rochdale/

• Sponsored links:

• Charlton Manager Lee Bowyer revealed Krystian Bielik and Igor Vetokele are fully fit and in contention to play in Saturday’s away game at Rochdale.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5bd1a1b92a6ea/bowyer-on-the-fitness-of-bielik-and-vetokele-ahead-of-saturdays-visit-to-rochdale
  • 2 -1 Charlton , hopefully a bounce back from the frustrations of Tuesday night and get us back on track. Taylor and Grant with the goals.
  • No Jesus this time... so we get the 1-0 win and the fans have to sweat it out for a loooong time
  • 3-0 to the Addicks. We need to impose our superior quality
  • I said we would have three wins this week and am disappointed about Tuesday, but still think we will win Saturday, 0-3 unfortunately this will not get us into the top 6
  • one of the few grounds where away fans are not seated behind one of the goals but sit parallel to the pitch near 1/2 way .. at least I hope this is still the case
  • We are slowly but surely slipping down the list of promotion hopefuls, despite all the "early days" nonsense, 1-1 draws at home to Oxford do not promotion hopefuls make.

Looking for Bows to pull out all the stops this weekend and brighten up my 5 o'clock but I think that we are too unstable to get promotion.
  • I think we will definitely take the lead in this game - the question will be who gets the next goal! Hopefully it is us.
  • one of the few grounds where away fans are not seated behind one of the goals but sit parallel to the pitch near 1/2 way .. at least I hope this is still the case

It certainly was the case for the last game of last season lincs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Was for the 3-3 game as well
  • ... I think that we are too unstable to get promotion.

We need five things to happen:
    1) Bielik and Clarke to get to match fitness quickly
    2) Bauer to get match fit within six weeks
    3) Fosu to get back to last season's form
    4) LB to pick up a competent left-back in the New Year, presumably a loan.
    5) RD not to sell any first-team regulars in the New Year

Given all that we have a good chance, but that is a lot of "ifs".

And even if they all come true, we could be hit by new long-term injuries.
  • Not a scooby.
  • edited October 2018
    clb74 said:

Was for the 3-3 game as well

Tex's two goal bonanza ((:>) when he came on after Thomson, the cancer recoveree had flattened Konsa ..
    still laugh at that game when Calvin Andrew wore a 'mask' to protect a facial injury .. my mate Keith yelled out 'here's Zorro' during the warm up, Andrew gave him a thumbs up and had a good laugh … didn't stop Andrew heading a goal though .. a good exciting game despite the loss of a point .. EDIT .. 2 points
  • I’ll be there, one of my favourite NW L1 grounds. Staying up north for the weekend with Southampton supporting friends, at least he will see some attacking football I hope.
    Unlike the Oxford game I feel positive about this one 1-3
  • I will be going to this one......fancy a win into the bargain.
  • Lose 2-0.

We try hard but nothing comes off as we look leggy and tired.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Lose 2-0.

We try hard but nothing comes off as we look leggy and tired.

Boo
  • If I finally make it there it will be a miracle.