Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why did we tap up Dowie ?

It has now come to light that we were being lied to, Dowie was in the frame all along - thoughts ?

Comments

• Options
    Sack The Board
  • Options
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
  • Options
    pretty damning to be honest... i'm very upset with this, not only as the board were so stupid as to see dowie as their main target, but also that he has been ajudged in a court of law (bear in mind it cannot yet be labelled fact as courts make mistakes) as lying, meaning we are effectively embroiled in the web as well
  • Options
    I blame Andrew Mills!!
  • Options
    If Billy Davies had accepted the contract, then this wouldn't be a issue, but he didn't so it is
  • Options
    1. because after Davies pulled out, we simply had no one else credible interested ?

2. Because there was a particular notion of getting one over Jordan at the time ?

90% No 1, with 10% of No 2 for me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]1. because after Davies pulled out, we simply had no one else credible interested ?

2. Because there was a particular notion of getting one over Jordan at the time ?

90% No 1, with 10% of No 2 for me.

Whilst i agree in the main with what you say, surely we, as a premiership club would've had decent people interested?
  • Options
    No one credible wanted to follow in Curbishley's footsteps.

Looks like we panicked, and made a bad decision for so many reasons.

Hate this all being dredged up now, it feels like a lifetime ago.
  • Options
    All the football managers in the world we couldnt get anyone - come off it.
  • Options
    ISawLeaburnScore - my thoughts as well.
    Rothko, AFKA - did the result of the court case, not indicate that we were after Dowie as early as May 17th and then he lies to get away from Palace - why ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    did i dream it, or did i read somewhere that if jordan won the case then murray would take jordan to court for something.
  • Options
    i would've thought it was more the other way around pbs... jordan winning this means our board are wide open for more action to ascertain their role in dowie's deceit?
  • Options
    I thought Murray was going to take Jordan to court if Dowie won.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]Rothko, AFKA - did the result of the court case, not indicate that we were after Dowie as early as May 17th and then he lies to get away from Palace - why ?

My view, not fact.

It had been known weeks beforehand there were serious issues at Palace, between Jordan and Dowie and it was clear that Dowie wanted away and Jordan wanted him out. But Jordan did not want to pay off Dowie, did not want to miss out on the release clause in Dowie's contract if he moved to another club, and in return Dowie did not want to miss out out on the clause in his contract entitling him to a cut in player sales.

The compromise agreement was exactly that, it got both Palace out of the deal without paying Dowie off, and it left Dowie free to get another job elsewhere. I suspect Dowie knew he had a chance of getting the Charlton job, he may of previously been whispered we were interested, and i'm sure this become very real to him after Davies pulled out.

Whether Dowie went begging to Jordan saying he missed his family up North and was finding it unworkable as the sole reason, i very much doubt. I reckon that this was one of 3 or 4 reasons given when agreeing the compromise, and Jordan very cleverly seized upon this during the release press conference. Dowie stupidly had not kept to himself possible Charlton interest, had told people he shouldn't, giving Jordan time to prepare for the stunt he pulled at our press conference.

If Davies had took the job, none of this would of happened. If Dowie had gone to any other club than us, none of this would of happened.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]I thought Murray was going to take Jordan to court if Dowie won.
    Wish he hadn't said that now, Jordan will be spitting it back at his face.
  • Options
    Murray was going after Jordan with a threat of defamation.
    Reg's comment "Contrary to all the media hype of recent months, Simon Jordan has decided not to proceed with his regular threats to take action against our club," said Varney.
    "Whatever the outcome of the case I know that we are absolutely innocent of the accusations we will face in court and I have no doubt that will be proved."
    Peter added: "It is to be hoped that when this happens we will receive the same level of newspaper column inches as the threats of legal action and foul-mouthed abuse that have been aired by certain tabloid newspapers since last May."

The result is now suggesting that we were not innocent and that Dowie was in contact with Charlton.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]The result is now suggesting that we were not innocent and that Dowie was in contact with Charlton.

But we all knew that. Like we know that with 99% of any moves in football. Certain etiquette is followed, but its extremely rare for it to be done when a club has no knowledge of whether a player or manager would be interested if officially approached, and whether they are likely to be able to be accomodated in their budget.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]The result is now suggesting that we were not innocent and that Dowie was in contact with Charlton.[/quote]

But we all knew that. Like we know that with 99% of any moves in football. Certain etiquette is followed, but its extremely rare for it to be done when a club has no knowledge of whether a player or manager would be interested if officially approached, and whether they are likely to be able to be accomodated in their budget.[/quote]

I agree AFKA, but I can't imagine that Dowie would have lied to get out of his contract unless he was our main target. I can't help but feel, that he was our first choice, hence the title to this discussion.