Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paraplegic man drags himself through airport

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45765767

Unsure what to think about this.

Must be awful to have your wheelchair left behind and to feel stranded like that. He should get some compensation for that.

That said, they offered him a wheelchair with an assistant but he denied it because it removed his independence. He suggests that he was left with no viable option other than to drag himself through the airport.

I can't help but feel he's trying to prove a point. Surely in this less than ideal scenario you have to make do with the help that is being offered to you. To drag yourself around an airport and then get on a luggage trolley surely isn't the best way to go about things.

Comments

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45765767

Must be awful to have your wheelchair left behind and to feel stranded like that. He should get some compensation for that.

That said, they offered him a wheelchair with an assistant but he denied it because it removed his independence. He suggests that he was left with no viable option other than to drag himself through the airport.

I can't help but feel he's trying to prove a point. Surely in this less than ideal scenario you have to make do with the help that is being offered to you. To drag yourself around an airport and then get on a luggage trolley surely isn't the best way to go about things.

He was just on radio 4.

Definitely making a point.

Sad story as coughed and dislocated a disc in his spine.

Corrective surgery went wrong leaving him a paraplegic but still takes part in martial arts and is an Olympic athlete.

He was making a point and trying to demonstrate why airports should the right equipment.
  • Glad it's not just me.

The way it's been reported made me question whether I was missing something.

He was just on radio 4.

Corrective surgery went wrong leaving him a paraplegic but still takes part in martial arts and is an Olympic athlete.

He was making a point and trying to demonstrate why airports should the right equipment.
    In this scenario where somebody's equipment has gone missing, is an assisted wheelchair not an adequate temporary replacement?

I saw the story on BBC news at 6 and seeing what he can do in the gym is incredible in light of what's happened, but can't help feel Luton airport tried to help him out (as is their duty) and he's made a story out of it by refusing.
  • Being disabled doesn’t excuse you from being a numpty like this bloke.

Maybe how he did it was OTT but he had his reasons.

I think if it was me I'd take the easy option and just use the other wheelchair but maybe that's why he's an Olympian.
  • Stig said:

Easy with the flags fellas, they aren't for signaling disagreements.

he started it boss ((:>) .. if we have to play childish games .. so be it
  • he wanted a self propelled wheelchair so he could maintain his independence yet asked if he could be taken on a motorised buggy. surely that would take away his independence in the same way as being pushed in a wheelchair
  • Sponsored links:

• attention seeker after a few quid .. he'll probably reach an out of court settlement to avoid Luton Airport going through expensive and time consuming litigation

I don’t get why that would be the first thing you think to write about this subject.

• attention seeker after a few quid .. he'll probably reach an out of court settlement to avoid Luton Airport going through expensive and time consuming litigation

I don’t get why that would be the first thing you think to write about this subject.

why worry about what I think of a disabled man refusing help for his issues and making a fuss by dragging himself along as if he were being persecuted .. instead, disclose what you think

He was just on radio 4.

In this scenario where somebody's equipment has gone missing, is an assisted wheelchair not an adequate temporary replacement?

I saw the story on BBC news at 6 and seeing what he can do in the gym is incredible in light of what's happened, but can't help feel Luton airport tried to help him out (as is their duty) and he's made a story out of it by refusing.
    Absolutely he's made a story out of it by refusing but that's what protests are; refusing to accept what the protester feels is unacceptable.

Could say Rosa Parks was making a story out of not having a seat on a bus or Charlton fans making a story about not acting like customers in a restaurant.
    Haha - a fair point well made.

I do think those situations are different though, but I see what you are saying.

I just think he's being a bit dishonest in suing because he was left with "only one viable option - to drag himself along the floor for hundreds of yards."

A sorry situation all round really.

He was just on radio 4.

Absolutely he's made a story out of it by refusing but that's what protests are; refusing to accept what the protester feels is unacceptable.

Could say Rosa Parks was making a story out of not having a seat on a bus or Charlton fans making a story about not acting like customers in a restaurant.
    Haha - a fair point well made.

I do think those situations are different though, but I see what you are saying.

I just think he's being a bit dishonest in suing because he was left with "only one viable option - to drag himself along the floor for hundreds of yards."

A sorry situation all round really.
    I think he went OTT but if he used the other wheelchair and then written a letter of complaint we wouldn't be talking about it now.

• LenGlover said:

I feel the bloke's frustration but wonder exactly what else the poor sods who were dropped in it by the incompetent luggage people could do other than offer him an ordinary wheelchair if there was no other type available.

Offer him free use of a hospitality lounge until the lost luggage arrives but how does he get to the lounge?

There are no winners here.

If Luton Airport provide the type of wheelchairs he wanted to use, as he claims most other airports do, then he and other people with disabilities, are winners.
  • LenGlover said:

I feel the bloke's frustration but wonder exactly what else the poor sods who were dropped in it by the incompetent luggage people could do other than offer him an ordinary wheelchair if there was no other type available.

Offer him free use of a hospitality lounge until the lost luggage arrives but how does he get to the lounge?

I don’t think his complaint is about the staff. They tried to help. The issue is with the equipment provided by the airport that he views as insufficient.

When I read the BBC story, I saw the airport kept saying that they were happy with the way their staff dealt with this. I stemmed to me they missed the point entirely, or were just trying to deflect.

why worry about what I think of a disabled man refusing help for his issues and making a fuss by dragging himself along as if he were being persecuted .. instead, disclose what you think
    I’ll tell you what I think. I think it’s impossible to know the reasons why he chose to make his point the way he did at this point. Maybe they will be valid and maybe he was being awkward.

My problem and why I flagged you is because you immediately decided quite nastily to brand him an attention seeker and out to make a few quid in an out of court settlement. Despicable comment but that’s just my view.

• Sponsored links:

• edited November 2018

attention seeker after a few quid .. he'll probably reach an out of court settlement to avoid Luton Airport going through expensive and time consuming litigation

I’ll tell you what I think. I think it’s impossible to know the reasons why he chose to make his point the way he did at this point. Maybe they will be valid and maybe he was being awkward.

My problem and why I flagged you is because you immediately decided quite nastily to brand him an attention seeker and out to make a few quid in an out of court settlement. Despicable comment but that’s just my view.

attention seeker after a few quid .. he'll probably reach an out of court settlement to avoid Luton Airport going through expensive and time consuming litigation

your view and welcome to it .. keep waving those flags like a good boy scout
    So I flag a comment by you and explain why I think it’s nasty and unnecessary and you flag me twice for asking why your first thought was to accuse the disabled man of being a money grabber. Then start accusing me of about waving flags about.

You really are off beam mate.

So I flag a comment by you and explain why I think it’s nasty and unnecessary and you flag me twice for asking why your first thought was to accuse the disabled man of being a money grabber. Then start accusing me of about waving flags about.

I'll withdraw mine if you withdraw yours .. and by the way I am not your mate .. so next time think twice about 'flagging' in a situation in which you disagree with a valid comment even though it might be one you do not agree with .. you think his actions 'might be valid', I think that is laughable, but you're entitled to it

I'll withdraw mine if you withdraw yours .. and by the way I am not your mate .. so next time think twice about 'flagging' in a situation in which you disagree with a valid comment even though it might be one you do not agree with .. you think his actions 'might be valid', I think that is laughable, but you're entitled to it
    Sorry. Your initial comment warrants a flag. Not going to withdraw it because it’s not that I disagree with it. ( which I do) it’s because it was a nasty and completely unnecessary thing to write. Quite happy to keep the TWO ridiculous flags you gave me. Ok mate ?

• edited November 2018

LenGlover said:

If Luton Airport provide the type of wheelchairs he wanted to use, as he claims most other airports do, then he and other people with disabilities, are winners.
    Didn't know it was Luton.

They should have whole fleets of different types of wheel chairs given their rip off car parking charges.

Earlier this year it cost me £1 more to park for two hours at Heathrow than it did at Luton in 2003.

EDIT: You may gather that after being shamelessly ripped off in 2003 I've never visited Luton Airport again.
  • I don't think lincsaddick is wrong. Without wanting to put it too bluntly, being disabled does not make it impossible for you to be an arsehole. Part of treating people equally is appreciating that.

Sorry. Your initial comment warrants a flag. Not going to withdraw it because it’s not that I disagree with it. ( which I do) it’s because it was a nasty and completely unnecessary thing to write. Quite happy to keep the TWO ridiculous flags you gave me. Ok mate ?

don't mate me mate
    Grow up

don't mate me mate
    Grow up
    mmm in your case it's not a case of childishness, more like senility .. it can be treated if you take action now
    Really ?