Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lee Probert

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2018
    You could tell the ref didn't want to book the lad but he had to. The rule makers need to review.
  • Options
    Well said Claude Puel from that video
  • Options
    mendonca said:

Refs don't get the leeway to re-engineer the rules of the game, during the game. End of.

You mean like when the ref sent the oxford centre back off last Tuesday for repeating the exact same offence he had just been booked for 2 minutes earlier? Hmmmmm
  • Options
    You see the ref's face on the clip as Gray takes his shirt off and he's clearly thinking, shit I've got to book him.
    It's a stupid rule though, what is the problem with taking your shirt off?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    cafc_se7 said:

mendonca said:

Refs don't get the leeway to re-engineer the rules of the game, during the game. End of.

You mean like when the ref sent the oxford centre back off last Tuesday for repeating the exact same offence he had just been booked for 2 minutes earlier? Hmmmmm
    Its common for Officials to pull a player aside so soon after a booking to give them a final warning

I felt the Referee's decision not to book the Oxford player a second time so soon after the first incident was the right one against us

What he should have been sent off for though was the fact he twice went mouthing off to the Linesman despite being given that final warning
  • Options
    ref has to implement the rules, what he should get abused for is the blatant red and penalty that he missed.

gray knew he would get booked for doing it.

in this instance it was a hopeful one off tragic accident.

• Options
    Had to do it. If he hadn’t and gray had been booked later on, he would have just been on a yellow when he should have been sent off. Probert then would have found himself demoted probably.
  • Options
    It's a shame this is even an issue tbh.

The Leicester players and management (and the ref) perhaps should have agreed beforehand that doing what he did would inevitably result in an unneccessary booking and a controversy that detracts from the message. It wasn't a spur of the moment thing, placed the ref in a really difficult position and could have gone on to influence the result in other circumstances.

All a bit unneccessary really.
  • Options

Has Gray got shit for brains or something.
    On a day when appropriate respect was shown before the game, as well as up and down the country, he decides to pull this stunt and make it all about him.
    How long has this rule been in place? He new full well what the consequences would be for himself and Probert and still decided to go ahead.
    He would also have had plenty of time to reconsider when he prepared his undershirt.
    If I was Probert I would be more than uncomfortable, I'd feel like decking the prick.
    Just my opinion

Was it just Gray that had that shirt on underneath or did all the Leicester players have one ? A bit co-incidental if he was the only one.....and then the only one to score.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2018

On a day when appropriate respect was shown before the game, as well as up and down the country, he decides to pull this stunt and make it all about him.
    How long has this rule been in place? He new full well what the consequences would be for himself and Probert and still decided to go ahead.
    He would also have had plenty of time to reconsider when he prepared his undershirt.
    If I was Probert I would be more than uncomfortable, I'd feel like decking the prick.
    Just my opinion

Was it just Gray that had that shirt on underneath or did all the Leicester players have one ? A bit co-incidental if he was the only one.....and then the only one to score.
    Who knows?
    But if so, somebody with a bit of maturity and authority should have have told them, look lads this isn't the way to show respect think of the consequences.
    Why not wait until the full time whistle and all remove your shirts together?
    I am sorry but I think there is an element of me me me about it.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Just my opinion

Who knows?
    But if so, somebody with a bit of maturity and authority should have have told them, look lads this isn't the way to show respect think of the consequences.
    Why not wait until the full time whistle and all remove your shirts together?
    I am sorry but I think there is an element of me me me about it.
    Completely agree - all seems a bit attention seeking.
  • Options
    There are better ways of displaying your respect than via a method that is confirmed to be met with in/adequate punishment.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
  • Options

You see the ref's face on the clip as Gray takes his shirt off and he's clearly thinking, shit I've got to book him.

Not 100% sure this is true and if it is wrong I am sure I will be corrected, but I remember hearing this a few years ago.

The law was put in place due to the amount of money that sponsors pay to have their names on the shirt, and when a team scores all of the cameras are on that player, if the player then removes his shirt then the sponsor doesnt get the exposure.

Like I said its likely to be bollocks, but I heard it years ago and it makes more sense than any other reason
  • Options
    I remember years ago Forlan scoring and then not being able to get his shirt back on in time and running around tackling someone topless.

Think the automatic yellow got introduced after that, might be wrong.
  • Options
    kellycafc said:

Not 100% sure this is true and if it is wrong I am sure I will be corrected, but I remember hearing this a few years ago.

The law was put in place due to the amount of money that sponsors pay to have their names on the shirt, and when a team scores all of the cameras are on that player, if the player then removes his shirt then the sponsor doesnt get the exposure.

Like I said its likely to be bollocks, but I heard it years ago and it makes more sense than any other reason
    Ian Wright. 179. Just did it. Big Nike tick.

20 years on so that bit of crash advertising did wonders.
  • Options
    Right decision sadly...
  • Options
    kellycafc said:

Nothing to do with sponsorship. FIFA decreed it as unsporting behaviour and an 'unnecessary excessive display of joy'. Hence introducing the caution to try and stop it. Just shows how pathetic the power mongers at FIFA are.

As for Gray and the ref. Ref had no choice sadly and no, Gray wasn't making it 'all about him'! He was merely expressing a moment of intense emotion following an exceptionally traumatic week. My guess is that every player had the t-shirt under their shirt and would have done the same had they scored. It was probably even discussed amongst them beforehand. To suggest that Gray was attention seeking would be laughable if it wasn't so I'll informed and unempathethic.
  • Options
    Maybe the best thing would be for the league to remove the booking from the records. Wrong to blame the ref, the law is the law!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Puel said it's a professional game and he expects the refs to be professional as well. He accepted the booking with no reservation.
    Top man.
    End of story I think.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    The law is actually to stop policial, or other wise, controversial messages. As well as "free" advertising in the wright/Nike case.

Didn't the ref book Billy Sharp when he scored after his baby died?

If JDF had scored and had a t-shirt with "that's for you Bradley" or similar and had been booked there would have been a riot.

The solution? In cases like Leicester, Sharp, the hypothical JDF one, players/clubs should be able to get special dispensation BEFORE the game. It's not fair on the ref for a start.

Edit the ref DIDN'T book Sharp https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2011/nov/02/doncaster-billy-sharp-thanks-fans-son
  • Options

kellycafc said:

Nothing to do with sponsorship. FIFA decreed it as unsporting behaviour and an 'unnecessary excessive display of joy'. Hence introducing the caution to try and stop it. Just shows how pathetic the power mongers at FIFA are.

As for Gray and the ref. Ref had no choice sadly and no, Gray wasn't making it 'all about him'! He was merely expressing a moment of intense emotion following an exceptionally traumatic week. My guess is that every player had the t-shirt under their shirt and would have done the same had they scored. It was probably even discussed amongst them beforehand. To suggest that Gray was attention seeking would be laughable if it wasn't so I'll informed and unempathethic.
    In your opinion.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

The law is actually to stop policial, or other wise, controversial messages. As well as "free" advertising in the wright/Nike case.

If JDF had scored and had a t-shirt with "that's for you Bradley" or similar and had been booked there would have been a riot.

The solution? In cases like Leicester, Sharp, the hypothical JDF one, players/clubs should be able to get special dispensation BEFORE the game. It's not fair on the ref for a start.

Edit the ref DIDN'T book Sharp https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2011/nov/02/doncaster-billy-sharp-thanks-fans-son

No he didnt...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/nov/02/billy-sharp-son-referee
  • Options

Cafc43v3r said:

No he didnt...

I know, I put that link up about 8 hours ago :tongue:
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Cafc43v3r said:

No he didnt...

I know, I put that link up about 8 hours ago :tongue:
    Ohhhhhhh yeaaaahhhh :tongue:
  • Options
    Players don't have to take their shirts off - if they get booked it's down to them.
  • Options
    Sol Bamba not booked for removing his top as the ref didnt see it WTF
  • Options
    kellycafc said:

Sol Bamba not booked for removing his top as the ref didnt see it WTF

And its not as if Bamba is a slight small fella who could get lost n a crowd!