Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match thread: Charlton v Doncaster : 3 November 2018

124»

Comments

• Options
    Despite it being comfortable, imagine if Reeves didn't make that vital tackle in the second half. 2-1 and the nerves would have kicked in. It is important to have that breathing space - it should be our mentality that one nil, even two nil and we need another.
  • Options
    Palace are losing 2.1 so all in all a decent weekend.
  • Options
    Make that 3.1 😏
  • Options
    Thought we played well , but took our foot off the gas second half with Walsall coming up Tuesday . Even better day with Millwall losing .
  • Options
    I didn’t think we were all that great to be honest for long spells. Doncaster dominated the first 20 and we scored from a set piece against the run of play. Donny were really poor in the final third which is just as well. Second goal came just at the right time and what a cross from Taylor. After that we were in control and played some nice stuff by really should have scored more. I came away relieved and happy that we had broken our dodgy run but I’m not reaching for the superlatives just yet other than for Bielik who I thought was a class above today. Ward very lucky that the ref didn’t see his kick out off the ball against their big no 6 who was really pressing his buttons.
  • Options

Felt a strange one on Saturday to be honest. For those not in the crowd at 3.45, when the players finish their warm up by left hand side of Covered End they then clap the crowd before going off. When they did this on Saturday the ground was still super empty and the response very flat. Donny fans made no noise. Brian Cole intro’d the teams to the pitch in a more flat than normal way. No one seemed up for it on Saturday.

The way we had ‘done enough’ and played without stretching things in the second half probably added to the feeling of why I was delighted we had one, but no real punching the air at the final whistle.

In between that, we played some nice stuff on the offensive and link well to feet in the final third. Sometimes it verges on overplay, and we can definitely be more decisive, but you do always feel well score. Grant played well but really didn’t put anything on his header and the keeper really should have saved it.

In midfield, Cullen is really putting his stamp on games and seeing a lot of the ball. I like him, and Aribo continues to show that he has the most future potential out of everyone in our squad and is adding goals now. Reeves I think goes by unoticed by some by put in a goal saving challenge on 63 through working his bits off to track back, which could have changed the game. Ward has fitted in well without being spectacular.

Donny didn’t really seem to have the physical edge or pace of play to properly threaten us, and with our mental dip off in the last half hour, I think we also looked knackered, and that’s not the first time I’ve thought that.

Elsewhere, Bielik had an excellent game after being dug out last week (what does the manager know, eh), and Taylor is just going to be a massive miss imo as I can’t see Vetokele and Grant working as a pair. Poor old Igor put in a good shift when very isolated for the last ten.

All in all, a very welcome victory after a dip in results. But not our best win / performance of the season and the loss of Taylor is a big concern

Good post boss.
    Apart from the players warming up at 3.45.
    Just saying
  • Options

Felt a strange one on Saturday to be honest. For those not in the crowd at 3.45, when the players finish their warm up by left hand side of Covered End they then clap the crowd before going off. When they did this on Saturday the ground was still super empty and the response very flat. Donny fans made no noise. Brian Cole intro’d the teams to the pitch in a more flat than normal way. No one seemed up for it on Saturday.

The way we had ‘done enough’ and played without stretching things in the second half probably added to the feeling of why I was delighted we had one, but no real punching the air at the final whistle.

In between that, we played some nice stuff on the offensive and link well to feet in the final third. Sometimes it verges on overplay, and we can definitely be more decisive, but you do always feel well score. Grant played well but really didn’t put anything on his header and the keeper really should have saved it.

In midfield, Cullen is really putting his stamp on games and seeing a lot of the ball. I like him, and Aribo continues to show that he has the most future potential out of everyone in our squad and is adding goals now. Reeves I think goes by unoticed by some by put in a goal saving challenge on 63 through working his bits off to track back, which could have changed the game. Ward has fitted in well without being spectacular.

Donny didn’t really seem to have the physical edge or pace of play to properly threaten us, and with our mental dip off in the last half hour, I think we also looked knackered, and that’s not the first time I’ve thought that.

Elsewhere, Bielik had an excellent game after being dug out last week (what does the manager know, eh), and Taylor is just going to be a massive miss imo as I can’t see Vetokele and Grant working as a pair. Poor old Igor put in a good shift when very isolated for the last ten.

All in all, a very welcome victory after a dip in results. But not our best win / performance of the season and the loss of Taylor is a big concern

To be fair to Brian he sounded like he had a cold on Saturday
  • Options
    ^^^^^^ good post .. though surely 3.45=2.45 .. Bielik .. perhaps a good 'talking to' persuaded him to get his act together .. for how long is Taylor out ? .. the atmosphere ? .. I rarely go to the Valley. I am guessing that inconsistency has bred a 'here we go again' attitude amongst the diehard who turn up for every game .. A couple of wins and they'll soon be more optimistic .. a couple of wins ? .. 2 hard games coming up, but there'll be a rest week after the cup game .. Walsall are no pushovers and neither are Mansfield .. I hope that in the latter game Bowyer plays a strong team, otherwise it's an insult to the Addickted travellers .. MIND YOU .. remember Stevenage
  • Options
    What astounds me - is when somebody is nominated for the crossbar challenge, how crap an effort normally happens. I mean, if you can nominate somebody, surely you would get somebody to do it who can get the ball more than 2 feet off the ground.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I still want us to improve a little in front of goal through the team. Aribo needs to score one in three games at this level. If I was Bowyer, I'd demand that from him.
  • Options

I still want us to improve a little in front of goal through the team. Aribo needs to score one in three games at this level. If I was Bowyer, I'd demand that from him.

Aribo is the worst player on the team when it comes to shooting

He broke through on goal in the second half on Saturday and almost collapsed in shock when he had a go from a tight angle rather than passing it like he usually does - Ironically he needs to learn to be more selfish whereas Grant needs to learn the opposite sometimes
  • Options
    Grant has 8 goals and we've only just turned the clocks back. Yes he has missed a few but we are talking about a player who have taken 4 years to become a regular in the team after being thrown in far too young.
    He has been a revelation this season but will still get stick by some on CL. (You know who you are )

Taylor is so much better than big Josh and can play as a wide man or down the middle, but his 7 goals has included 2 pens and he has missed some absolute sitters (Coventry and Barnsley). Fans favourite and let's hope he's only out for a few weeks.

Aribo Scored when he didn't have time to think on Saturday but misses when he has the extra second to ponder, like in the second half.
    Should score 10 to 12 a season in this mediocre division (if he stays long enough)

Reeves playing well but can never quite hit the target.

Ward, going close and will score soon.

Igor, the Jury is out if we will see the return of the vetokele who scored against Brighton, Brentford, Rotherham etc from the Championship days.

Ajosie could score at the den but has disappointed and shown only glimpses of the player who scored at Swindon.

Fosu, body language not right this season and the Red petulance at Southend and a cheap booking for kicking the ball away in another game is a sign of his frustration.
    If he wants to be top man again he needs to work on staying fit and show his skills on the pitch. How about starting at Walsall.
  • Options
    It's only fair that after being critical of Bowyer last week, I equally praise him for getting it right this week.

We set up exactly where we should have. Cullen breaking up the play and building from the back, Bielek at centre back and Reeves in the starting 11.

Every single commentator on iFollow has commented that Taylor and Reeves are our best players. I think Reeves is seriously underrated by some of our fans.

Fair play to Bowyer for going back to the basis of our recent success. Hopefully he's learnt a lesson that trying to fit our best players in to the starting 11 doesn't necessarily give us our best team.
  • Options
    Personally I'd love to see Reeves in the position where Ward plays IF the latter isnt fit enough, especially with Fosu's lack of form at the moment - Trouble is Reeves can defend as well so he's a ideal player to drop deep and protect the back four when we dont have the ball
  • Options

Grant has 8 goals and we've only just turned the clocks back. Yes he has missed a few but we are talking about a player who have taken 4 years to become a regular in the team after being thrown in far too young.
    He has been a revelation this season but will still get stick by some on CL. (You know who you are )

Taylor is so much better than big Josh and can play as a wide man or down the middle, but his 7 goals has included 2 pens and he has missed some absolute sitters (Coventry and Barnsley). Fans favourite and let's hope he's only out for a few weeks.

Aribo Scored when he didn't have time to think on Saturday but misses when he has the extra second to ponder, like in the second half.
    Should score 10 to 12 a season in this mediocre division (if he stays long enough)

Igor, the Jury is out if we will see the return of the vetokele who scored against Brighton, Brentford, Rotherham etc from the Championship days.

Ajosie could score at the den but has disappointed and shown only glimpses of the player who scored at Swindon.

Fosu, body language not right this season and the Red petulance at Southend and a cheap booking for kicking the ball away in another game is a sign of his frustration.
    If he wants to be top man again he needs to work on staying fit and show his skills on the pitch. How about starting at Walsall.

Agree with most of what you've said.

I think we could have two strikers here getting 20+ goals this season if they stay fit because we always look like scoring and now they are constantly looking for one another and developing that relationship of where each other are.

With Taylor, opposition defenders are so scared of him, they focus on stopping him as much as they can - dragging him back, kicking, bringing him down in areas of the pitch that we have to rebuild again. However, this leaves space for Grant to exploit. He sometimes goes unmarked and unnoticed from the opposition due to the threat of Taylor. And more often than not, Grant's pace is such a blessing because he will stretch that last line of defence, or get in behind through a pass from Taylor like Saturday, or a great ball from Ward like against Barnsley. It is an exciting prospect to have these two up front.

Of course, we must have the rest of the team chipping in and I feel Aribo could get close to double figures, but he isn't as natural of a finisher to get a tally of 12 in my opinion. Though he ought to. I think Reeves is going to score very soon, as Bowyer has said he is due a goal so that is coming and will only help him as the season progresses. Ward I think will chip in with a 2 or 3 before January and I hope that he stays for the rest of the season. We also have Clarke to come back at some point soon and that will add another quality player into the mix.

We are now a threat from set=pieces which is a massive bonus and credit to Jackson. We have players who can take a good deal ball and players who are good enough in the air to challenge and win headers in the attacking set-pieces. Taylor, Aribo, Pearce, Bauer, Bielik, Sarr, Pratley. That's six and I know they all won't play at once, but it is far better than last season. If we went to a back 3 and had Aribo and Pratley in midfield with Taylor up front, that is a very strong selection of players that all would be threatening in the box.

Regarding Fosu, I think there is an underlining problem here. We have a player who was so pivotal for us last season with the goals he scored, the performances he put in. When he played well, we played well more often than not. However, this season - and I don't know if it is as simple as he hasn't had a run of games and that we are playing a diamond formation - he looks half the player he was. Not taking players on the way he had previously, not getting into positions to score, just generally not doing enough or looking as interested. He may have his contract situation on his mind, which would play a big role going forward. It shouldn't, but they're human beings, it is bound to. It may be he is lacking some confidence. I just hope that he can put in a good performance tomorrow night as he will start in place of Ward.

We have the making of a very good team if things fall into place, if we don't get too many injuries, and if we can learn to play on a Tuesday night. And right now, there is no matter way to start that than tomorrow.

3 points tomorrow night with two changes to our front 3, and that is a big result, make no mistake about it.

Time to push forward and go on a proper run now.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Agree with most of what you've said.

I think we could have two strikers here getting 20+ goals this season if they stay fit because we always look like scoring and now they are constantly looking for one another and developing that relationship of where each other are.

With Taylor, opposition defenders are so scared of him, they focus on stopping him as much as they can - dragging him back, kicking, bringing him down in areas of the pitch that we have to rebuild again. However, this leaves space for Grant to exploit. He sometimes goes unmarked and unnoticed from the opposition due to the threat of Taylor. And more often than not, Grant's pace is such a blessing because he will stretch that last line of defence, or get in behind through a pass from Taylor like Saturday, or a great ball from Ward like against Barnsley. It is an exciting prospect to have these two up front.

Of course, we must have the rest of the team chipping in and I feel Aribo could get close to double figures, but he isn't as natural of a finisher to get a tally of 12 in my opinion. Though he ought to. I think Reeves is going to score very soon, as Bowyer has said he is due a goal so that is coming and will only help him as the season progresses. Ward I think will chip in with a 2 or 3 before January and I hope that he stays for the rest of the season. We also have Clarke to come back at some point soon and that will add another quality player into the mix.

We are now a threat from set=pieces which is a massive bonus and credit to Jackson. We have players who can take a good deal ball and players who are good enough in the air to challenge and win headers in the attacking set-pieces. Taylor, Aribo, Pearce, Bauer, Bielik, Sarr, Pratley. That's six and I know they all won't play at once, but it is far better than last season. If we went to a back 3 and had Aribo and Pratley in midfield with Taylor up front, that is a very strong selection of players that all would be threatening in the box.

Regarding Fosu, I think there is an underlining problem here. We have a player who was so pivotal for us last season with the goals he scored, the performances he put in. When he played well, we played well more often than not. However, this season - and I don't know if it is as simple as he hasn't had a run of games and that we are playing a diamond formation - he looks half the player he was. Not taking players on the way he had previously, not getting into positions to score, just generally not doing enough or looking as interested. He may have his contract situation on his mind, which would play a big role going forward. It shouldn't, but they're human beings, it is bound to. It may be he is lacking some confidence. I just hope that he can put in a good performance tomorrow night as he will start in place of Ward.

We have the making of a very good team if things fall into place, if we don't get too many injuries, and if we can learn to play on a Tuesday night. And right now, there is no matter way to start that than tomorrow.

3 points tomorrow night with two changes to our front 3, and that is a big result, make no mistake about it.

Time to push forward and go on a proper run now.
    Let's hope so.
  • Options

What astounds me - is when somebody is nominated for the crossbar challenge, how crap an effort normally happens. I mean, if you can nominate somebody, surely you would get somebody to do it who can get the ball more than 2 feet off the ground.

That was a shocker!

It was good to get a goal from midfield on Saturday, Most unusually, we've been heavily dependant on our striking pair scoring this season, when usually that's our weakness, but the rest of the team aren't scoring enough. Taylor does brilliant work running wide (especially out left), but we do need midfielders bursting into the box or else there aren't enough people in the box - we can't expect a cross like the one which found Grant's head every time.
  • Options

Score one goal in 3 games, Mutley?

Aribo's a midfielder not a striker.
    A very good return for a midfielder is 10 goals over the season.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Aribo is an attacking midfielder who should be looking at ending up well beyond this level. I am factoring the level when I suggest the target.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Aribo is an attacking midfielder who should be looking at ending up well beyond this level. I am factoring the level when I suggest the target.
    Maybe, but it's a big ask of a young relatively inexperienced player, who still needs to find a level of consistancy.
    Sometimes I feel we do expect too much too soon of our young players.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Yes, if he wants to play at the very top - he should be given big asks to achieve. Otherwise he can join the list of those playing in the lower leagues that had potential. I think it is a great possibility for him. I think similar can be said for Fosu. For a couple of years football and improving has to be everything to them. And it is in the clubs interests to help them!
  • Options
    Who is this Ben Meover listed in the programme and announced at half time?
  • Options
    Referee: show pony prick
    Steer: nothing to do
    Dijksteel: improving all the time, odd substitution
    Bielik: best ball playing defender we've seen in a while
    Pearce: indispensible defensive strength and nous
    Solly: he's Chris Solly innit?
    Reeves: sweet left foot at times and a couple of decent challenges but it's all so laboured, like he's pushing 40something
    Cullen: quietly excellent in the drudgery of midfield, rarely misplaces a pass either
    Aribo: quixotic but steadily improving, using his height at set plays has added a string to his bow
    Ward: nothing quite came off for him, but he's clearly upper class in this division
    Taylor: a warrior without whom we would be much depleted, curious decision to play him so long with him so clearly impaired and us comfortably ahead against ropey opposition
    Grant: a middling 'Grant' performance
    Vetokele: his pace and strength (sh)would have troubled Donny's dodgy defense for far longer, his efficacy against this mob was evident the minute he came on but his colleagues sank further and further back, giving him zero service for the bulk of his cameo - I won't be too dismayed if Igor gets a game or two should KT now be laid up from the stupid risk taken on his injury.

Marshall: gets about the pitch so much more quickly than Reeves, with the change to the shape when he came on, he looked so much more useful and dangerous than the little blond plodder
    Sarr: a blunder free appearance, however brief, is something for which we should all be very grateful, from this honest, hapless leviathan.
  • Options

Referee: show pony prick
    Steer: nothing to do
    Dijksteel: improving all the time, odd substitution
    Bielik: best ball playing defender we've seen in a while
    Pearce: indispensible defensive strength and nous
    Solly: he's Chris Solly innit?
    Reeves: sweet left foot at times and a couple of decent challenges but it's all so laboured, like he's pushing 40something
    Cullen: quietly excellent in the drudgery of midfield, rarely misplaces a pass either
    Aribo: quixotic but steadily improving, using his height at set plays has added a string to his bow
    Ward: nothing quite came off for him, but he's clearly upper class in this division
    Taylor: a warrior without whom we would be much depleted, curious decision to play him so long with him so clearly impaired and us comfortably ahead against ropey opposition
    Grant: a middling 'Grant' performance
    Vetokele: his pace and strength (sh)would have troubled Donny's dodgy defense for far longer, his efficacy against this mob was evident the minute he came on but his colleagues sank further and further back, giving him zero service for the bulk of his cameo - I won't be too dismayed if Igor gets a game or two should KT now be laid up from the stupid risk taken on his injury.

Marshall: gets about the pitch so much more quickly than Reeves, with the change to the shape when he came on, he looked so much more useful and dangerous than the little blond plodder
    Sarr: a blunder free appearance, however brief, is something for which we should all be very grateful, from this honest, hapless leviathan.

Tight hamstring
  • Options
    I dont know if its me so wanting us to do so, but we never really seem to dominate midfield - even on Saturday Donny looked like they were controlling midfield for longish periods , without creating anything, the same for Cov and also Wycombe.
    Is it me just wanting us to control midfield all the time at home? Coz we never seem to control it away - lets hope tomorrow changes my mind.
  • Options

I dont know if its me so wanting us to do so, but we never really seem to dominate midfield - even on Saturday Donny looked like they were controlling midfield for longish periods , without creating anything, the same for Cov and also Wycombe.
    Is it me just wanting us to control midfield all the time at home? Coz we never seem to control it away - lets hope tomorrow changes my mind.

It's because we play the diamond. Instead of having 4 strung "together" across the middle.
    We have 2 widish/not central midfielders, one at the tip in front of them and one at the base behind them.
    So the centre of the park is often wide open.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I think Cullen and Reeves have an important role here, which leaves the other two to do some real damage. I think Aribo is a terrific player with loads of potential, which is why I think he should be challenged to show it more regularly. Yes, and that means goals too. I want the two players who have a bit more freedom to start scoring freely! Then the system works fantastically.
  • Options
    Kevin Nolan's match report.
    With this solid, undramatic victory over fellow promotion outsiders Doncaster Rovers, Charlton stopped the rot before an actual rot set in.
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-stop-signs-of-rot-as-they-always-stayed-in-control-against-doncaster-rovers/