Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cover to Cover: Shipbuilding

Two versions of the same song

The soulful Tasmin Archer version or the raw Robert Wyatt version.

Listen to both without prejudice and say which you prefer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg0d2id-JmE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjUkjpJa6bY

Yes, I know we could have has the Elvis Costello version but I thought this was more of a contrast.

Comments

• Options
    Robert Wyatt.
  • Options
    Could have gone for the Suede version which is better than either of these imo
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I have always liked the Tasmin Archer version as it reworks 'Shipbuilding' into a beautiful piece of music.
    Costello sings it with great pathos, and the Wyatt version is jarring and raw.

Three very different versions of a very powerful song and each works very well in its own way.
    I don't know if many will agree with me but I'm going to say the Tasmin Archer version edges it for me. Not because hers is the most powerful version, but she does make it very easy to listen to and probably does best at bringing this song to an audience who may never otherwise have heard it.
  • Options

But which of these two do you prefer?
  • Options
    Bob.
  • Options
    Robert Wyatt
  • Options
    Wyatt. First time I've heard his version. Not as good as Costello though.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Robert Wyatt. I think the song sounds better when sung by a bloke. Tasmin has a lovely voice mind.
  • Options
    Hadn't heard Archer's version before, played it a couple of times now and it's growing on me. Wyatt's version is best though, not because of his vocals but because of Mark Bedford's bass which is very Mingusesque.

I'm not normally a big fan of Wyatt's vocals except on Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports which is absolutely sublime.
  • Options
    Wyatt.

But did Wyatt or Costello write it?

The originall is by far the best though with as great a song as this all versions are terific.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Costello wrote it.

Thats what i thought. On a train so couldnt check.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Wyatt.

But did Wyatt or Costello write it?

The originall is by far the best though with as great a song as this all versions are terific.

Costello wrote the words. Clive Langer (Deaf School/Big In Japan) wrote the music.
  • Options
    Elvis Costello.

dont like either of the other versions. If you're going to do a cover to cover it should have the original in there somewhere.
  • Options
    Suede did a version also....

I prefer Costello’s version.
  • Options

But which of these two do you prefer?
    Can’t get to the end of either but got further with robert Wyatt so I guess it’s that one.
  • Options
    Robert Wyatt’s is the better version for me .
  • Options

Elvis Costello.

dont like either of the other versions. If you're going to do a cover to cover it should have the original in there somewhere.

I think Henry has chosen just right. It's more interesting to have other versions, it gives a better chance of hearing something new. For the record, Wyatt's version is the original anyway. This is in no small part because it was Costello's choice. Wyatt's version was released as a single on 20th August 1982. Costello's wasn't recorded until early 1983 and was only released as a track on Punch The Clock in August '83, almost a year after Wyatt's.

• Options
    Of these two examples, Wyatt.
  • Options
    Ye
    Stig said:

Elvis Costello.

I think Henry has chosen just right. It's more interesting to have other versions, it gives a better chance of hearing something new. For the record, Wyatt's version is the original anyway. This is in no small part because it was Costello's choice. Wyatt's version was released as a single on 20th August 1982. Costello's wasn't recorded until early 1983 and was only released as a track on Punch The Clock in August '83, almost a year after Wyatt's.

Yep, Wyatt's is the original.

The Costello version was banned for being too jazzy : - :smiley:
  • Options

Agreed, also the version by The Unthanks.

But of the two listed here, I far prefer Robert Wyatt.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I really like some of Robert Wyatt’s stuff, but of these two I prefer the Tasmin Archer version.
  • Options
    Wyatt

I think his voice portrays the emotion of the song better
  • Options

Elvis Costello.

I think you are shitbuilding
  • Options
    I thought Elvis wrote it for Wyatt and then did his own version on Punch the Clock.
  • Options

I thought Elvis wrote it for Wyatt and then did his own version on Punch the Clock.

He did
  • Options
    Elvis wrote it with the aim of putting out several versions with different artists on one e.p. When Costello heard Wyatt's version, the e.p. was scrapped and they instead decided to release Wyatt's as a single.
  • Options
    soft robert.
    used to chat with him in twickenham. cat on lap can't get capital letters!