Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Impressive research
  • Sunderland?
  • So to summarise.............we are shit in midweek games.
  • Interesting stats
  • its just a game of football. 2 teams...goals at either end & a football. simple...nothing difficult about it
  • Sage said:

This stat is slightly flawed in that it has left out Sunderland on the opening day of the season. Therefore, if you add that into the Saturday/full week to prepare section it changes it slightly.

With a full week to prepare we average:

Pick up 2.3 points per game
    Score 1.9 goals per game
    Concede 1 per game

However, 3-4 day turn around games we average:

0.71 points per game
    Score 1 goal per game
    Concede 1.43 goals per game

In further detail, 24 of our 28 points so far have been won on a Saturday afternoon: 7 wins, 3 draws and 3 losses. Interestingly, for the games in which there has been a 3-4 day turn around, the remaining 4 points we have picked up in midweek has been when we have played at home on the Saturday beforehand.

Therefore, it seems as though when we are away from home on the Saturday, no matter the result of that match, we have failed to pick up any points in the following midweek game. Whereas, if we are at home on the Saturday prior to the following midweek game, we have picked up 4 points.

This would suggest that maybe we haven't quite worked out a way of recovering sufficiently enough when we have been away on the Saturday and playing again in a matter of a few days, maybe the lack of on pitch training and natural recovery, light sessions that involve tactical preparation is a problem, maybe it is the travel itself - for example, when we played Luton, Scunthorpe and Coventry in a week, picking up only the 1 point, the team had travelled a minimum of 550 miles getting to and from matches, it may not seem a whole lot, but it is with small squad and picking up injuries so often.

Hopefully, we can get a few players back sooner rather than later, I know Cullen and Vetokele are going to be out for a while, same with Page being another 5-6 weeks away, but if we can get Reeves, Dijksteel, Bauer and Clarke fit and injury free, I hope that Bowyer learns from these experiences and shakes it up a little when we are playing games only a few days apart. This is shown by the long term injuries such as Page, Vetokele and Cullen have all been picked up on a midweek game - okay, Page was suffering already and the other two are freak injuries, but it is no coincidence when you look over previous seasons.

We have seen what we can do when we have a full week to prepare, let's hope we can continue that form and rise up the league.

Send this post to Lee Bowyer or Jacko to read :smile:

• Just demonstrates the lack of depth in the squad due to RD - a lot harder to prepare and react to injuries with only 3/4 days than a full week. It would be interesting to see how often we were able to put out a settled team after 3/4 days of preparation - my guess is hardly ever.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:

This stat is slightly flawed in that it has left out Sunderland on the opening day of the season. Therefore, if you add that into the Saturday/full week to prepare section it changes it slightly.

With a full week to prepare we average:

Pick up 2.3 points per game
    Score 1.9 goals per game
    Concede 1 per game

However, 3-4 day turn around games we average:

0.71 points per game
    Score 1 goal per game
    Concede 1.43 goals per game

In further detail, 24 of our 28 points so far have been won on a Saturday afternoon: 7 wins, 3 draws and 3 losses. Interestingly, for the games in which there has been a 3-4 day turn around, the remaining 4 points we have picked up in midweek has been when we have played at home on the Saturday beforehand.

Therefore, it seems as though when we are away from home on the Saturday, no matter the result of that match, we have failed to pick up any points in the following midweek game. Whereas, if we are at home on the Saturday prior to the following midweek game, we have picked up 4 points.

This would suggest that maybe we haven't quite worked out a way of recovering sufficiently enough when we have been away on the Saturday and playing again in a matter of a few days, maybe the lack of on pitch training and natural recovery, light sessions that involve tactical preparation is a problem, maybe it is the travel itself - for example, when we played Luton, Scunthorpe and Coventry in a week, picking up only the 1 point, the team had travelled a minimum of 550 miles getting to and from matches, it may not seem a whole lot, but it is with small squad and picking up injuries so often.

Hopefully, we can get a few players back sooner rather than later, I know Cullen and Vetokele are going to be out for a while, same with Page being another 5-6 weeks away, but if we can get Reeves, Dijksteel, Bauer and Clarke fit and injury free, I hope that Bowyer learns from these experiences and shakes it up a little when we are playing games only a few days apart. This is shown by the long term injuries such as Page, Vetokele and Cullen have all been picked up on a midweek game - okay, Page was suffering already and the other two are freak injuries, but it is no coincidence when you look over previous seasons.

We have seen what we can do when we have a full week to prepare, let's hope we can continue that form and rise up the league.

This kind of analysis deserves a promote.

Would be interesting to compare the stats with the 13/14 season when we were playing twice a week it seemed from February through to end of the season as I seem to recall we would get spanked 0-3 on a Saturday by Brighton for example but then win on a Tuesday night. In particular I recall midweek wins over Leeds, Yeovil, Bournemouth and Watford in particular with lots of players rested against the stronger teams on the Saturday but recalled to the team for the more winnable midweek games.

Would be interesting to hear from JJ as he was around then and still is now to learn what worked then and can we make something similar work this season?
  • sm said:

Just demonstrates the lack of depth in the squad due to RD - a lot harder to prepare and react to injuries with only 3/4 days than a full week. It would be interesting to see how often we were able to put out a settled team after 3/4 days of preparation - my guess is hardly ever.

Not sure depth is the issue. After most teams in our division will largely play the same team midweek as at the weekend, especially at the start of the season when you'd expect the players to be fresh.
  • 3/4 day turnarounds for the next 2 league games. Depending on what team we put out for the Mansfield Cup replay, could be key to the game v the Gasmen.
  • I suppose Sunderland isn't there because it fits neither.