Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Swansea City U21 | Tue 13 Nov | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Swansea City U21s
Tuesday 13th November 2018 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Football League Trophy – Group Stage

Introduction

The Addicks host Swansea City and their kids tomorrow night knowing that anything other than defeat will guarantee a place in the next round of this historic competition… Last time out; Charlton would travel to Stevenage where they would create history by winning 8-0 (a new club record), whilst ex-Leyton Orient youngster: Toby Stevenson would score a hat-trick on his first team debut, proper Roy of the Rovers stuff and who said the magic of the Cup is dead!! (Oh wait, wrong competition!!)

The Opposition
Name: Swansea City U21s
League: Professional Development League One

You have to admit; Swansea aren’t exactly famous for bring through players from their Academy of late yet it doesn’t mean to say the Swans aren’t successful in their age groups having won both the Premier League Division Two and Premier League Cup in the 2016/17 season - This season though it’s been a struggle to replicate the fourth place from last year… No wins in League (just four draws) means that relegation from the Category One top tier seems likely at this early stage

In terms of the Football League Trophy, this is their third season in the competition (despite their first team being relegated to the Championship), two years ago they’d make the Quarter-Finals whilst last season would be defeated by Charlton thanks to goals from Karlan Ahearne-Grant and Reeco Hackett-Fairchild

Charlton Team News
Following our 1-1 draw with Mansfield yesterday; Lee Bowyer would confirm that the squad would mostly remain the same from the one that forced a cup replay… It means that Billy Clarke should get some much needed minutes (the only useful thing about the competition) as he enters the final stages of his recovery, he’ll no doubt replace Jamie Ward who has departed to Northern Ireland for international duty.

On the additional injury front is the fact that Patrick Bauer should also be returning to feature in tomorrows match; the reliable German has been missed in defence at times this season having been injured since our 2-0 win at Bradford, his return being a timely boost so the next man can head to the physios room for a break!!

Phillips
Dijksteel | Bauer | Sarr | Stevenson
Marshall | Maloney | Clarke | Lapslie
Ajose | Hackett-Fairchild

Substitutes Bench: Steer | Fosu | Morgan | Pratley | Grant

Prediction
Defeating Stevenage was a surprise as from the defeat against AFC Wimbledon you’d have thought that this competition was the last thing on Lee Bowyer’s mind – Yesterday he admitted that the required replay against Mansfield was the worst possible outcome so may now decide to forfeit the Football League Trophy

With plenty of players still out injured though, this could be a vital sideshow to help the likes of Josh Cullen and Igor Vetokele to return to full fitness so lets take it as seriously as we can, and see what happens

Comments

• Lose 3-0 on pens after a 1-1 draw
  • Hope you are right FA and Bauer and Clarke are both fit enough to start, even if not finish the 90 minutes. As for the result, I agree with you, it will help the injured players coming back get some minutes in and is good experience for the younger players. We to win 2-1
  • ross1 said:

Hope you are right FA and Bauer and Clarke are both fit enough to start, even if not finish the 90 minutes. As for the result, I agree with you, it will help the injured players coming back get some minutes in and is good experience for the younger players. We to win 2-1

Only change I possibly see is Pratley (sorry Dazzler) starting ahead of Bauer or even Maloney
  • Rubbish competition.
    Result not important.
    The only good thing is that it will give Clarke and a few others valuable game time.
  • Rubbish competition.
    Result not important.
    The only good thing is that it will give Clarke and a few others valuable game time.

Don't disagree with any of this
    As you say it gives valuable game time to players coming back from injury
    Also an opportunity for some of the fringe players to come knocking on Bowyers door - so stat in for as long as we need to
  • With this game, it makes it even more of a nonsense to rest so many players yesterday, and have the rest of the squad play 2 matches in 3 days.
  • With this game, it makes it even more of a nonsense to rest so many players yesterday, and have the rest of the squad play 2 matches in 3 days.

Easy to say in hindsight. If we hadn't drawn V Mansfield there would be no game tomorrow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Think Morgan will probably start in this one, maybe for Lapslie, only a guess. Same starting eleven otherwise and playing 3 at the back.

Phillips
    Dijksteel Bauer Sarr
    Marshall Maloney Morgan Stevenson
    Clarke
    Ajose Hackett-Fairchild

2-0 win.

Easy to say in hindsight. If we hadn't drawn V Mansfield there would be no game tomorrow.
    Yes there would... Yesterdays game has nothing to do with tomorrow - Only joke is the two day turn around, i.e. why not move it to the Wednesday?
  • edited November 2018

With this game, it makes it even more of a nonsense to rest so many players yesterday, and have the rest of the squad play 2 matches in 3 days.

Yes there would... Yesterdays game has nothing to do with tomorrow - Only joke is the two day turn around, i.e. why not move it to the Wednesday?
    No, the Checkatrade would have been put back to the 20th if there was no FA Cup replay. It had to be announced for the 13th pending the FA Cup tie because you can't schedule a game at two days' notice.

Is the wrong answer.
  • Comfortable home win 8-0.

I don't know who the hell you are, but stop using Happy Valley's account.

A replay was always a fair possibility though, playing a weakened team
  • I haven't been this excited since Mansfield away.

Why? Players like Solly, Pearce and Taylor obviously need a rest and the fringe players and youngsters need minutes and are surely quite capable of playing twice in a short space of time.

I don't really see it as that much of a problem.
  • If there was no game on tuesday,they would be having a hard training session where someone could still get injured(JFC),surely players of 19-20 can play 2 games in 3 days,and and surely players coming back from injury will relish the chance to play.Also Marshall Ajose,RHF who havent played much will hopefully try and impress Bowyer with decent performances(Forgot Phillips)So I dont agree the game is a total waste of time.
  • Rubbish competition.
    Result not important.

Oh blackpool, I could switch your lights out.

Checkatrade: Directory of recommended and trusted tradesmen who have been vetted and monitored and meet a high standards of trading, compared to the cowboy FA cup. A competition which is totally devauled and which CAFC has treated with distain since 1950 as a protest against the old Blazers.

After the record breaking 8-0 every Charlton fan should be at the Valley tonight to experience the skilled Artisans of the Checkatrade where young and old players, show a high spirit level and CAFC chisel out a victory with slide rule precision against the sons of Glendower.
    Unlike the Jesse James FA cup when you get a late phone call that the game been moved to the following day because of previous matches over running.

PS. I can't make it to the match myself as I have a spoken word event (Poetry + Prose) on the health benefits of watching paint dry.
  • Sponsored links:

• I know people really don't like Ajose ..... but even though he's barely featured in the League this season, he's already got 5 assists in the cup games.

Even though he's been marked down in the stats v Mansfield, as our least effective player - he still got an assist. He also got himself into good goalscoring positions.

Perhaps if he plays tonight, we'll need to watch his movement, positioning and team play more carefully.

• I'm buzzing for this one tonight, we've got the mickey mouse Sunday cup out of the way and now lets give these Welsh children a pasting! The kind of nights you dream of
  • Rubbish competition.
    Result not important.

Oh blackpool, I could switch your lights out.

Checkatrade: Directory of recommended and trusted tradesmen who have been vetted and monitored and meet a high standards of trading, compared to the cowboy FA cup. A competition which is totally devauled and which CAFC has treated with distain since 1950 as a protest against the old Blazers.

After the record breaking 8-0 every Charlton fan should be at the Valley tonight to experience the skilled Artisans of the Checkatrade where young and old players, show a high spirit level and CAFC chisel out a victory with slide rule precision against the sons of Glendower.
    Unlike the Jesse James FA cup when you get a late phone call that the game been moved to the following day because of previous matches over running.

PS. I can't make it to the match myself as I have a spoken word event (Poetry + Prose) on the health benefits of watching paint dry.
    A proper Soapbox rant that.
  • 2-1 Charlton- not bothered whatever result, hopefully no injuries!
  • I went to our lowest ever home gate - the Fulham game last season - and I'm worried this might outdo it, so I might have to come along for that reason alone
  • Lee Bowyer is expected to name a similar squad to the one that travelled to Mansfield Town on Sunday. Jamie Ward has headed off on international duty, so won’t be involved, and Lyle Taylor and Krystian Bielik are also away with their respective nations.

The game comes too soon for Patrick Bauer, who has just resumed full training, but Billy Clarke could be involved again.
    Josh Cullen, Igor Vetokele, Lewis Page and Jake Forster-Caskey remain sidelined.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5beac7421bf78/checkatrade-trophy-preview-charlton-v-swansea-city-u21

• shirty5 said:
    That s worked well then.fucked after less than 6 months.....Just like our team.
  • shirty5 said:
    That s worked well then.fucked after less than 6 months.....Just like our team.