Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Copenhagen

2»

Comments

• Options

KettsJohn said:

cabbles said:

KettsJohn said:

Head down to Christiania and take loads of pictures of the people in the little shacks

This was a joke. Please don't do this!

Great city to walk, as I am sure you have realised. Christiania is really interesting to see, with its own set of rules that allows them to sell drugs openly - all very relaxed unless you take a photo! The mermaid is worth a visit. Paper island is a fantastic place for dinner, loads of street food stalls and you can sit by the water, next to a fire, with your food and a beer.

We had a day trip to Malmö, which was okay but not a highlight. I can't remember where we walked to to see them making ships masts but that was impressive and one of the main tourist spots (just looked, it was Nyhavn).

We stayed opposite the Church of Our Saviour, which was great to walk up as you can walk around the outside of the spire to the top. Rundetaarn was very interesting too - a tower that horses and carriages used to be able to travel up to the top - added bonus of a great view from the top.

My highest recommendation is to just walk and see what you find. Enjoy!
    Ha ha, glad you said this was a joke. I really liked Christiana but yeah don't try taking any photos!!! Can't recall much after our visit there.... the day was a bit of a blur and hazy. Loved Cophenhagen.
    Will be doing a little boat tour past there in a bit and don't worry won't get the camera out :wink:

What is about the photos anyway? I've read up a bit online and the bus tour gave the history, but nothing about the reasons behind photos being taken. Is it just a privacy thing or they don't want to be seen as some kind of circus?

Thanks for the restaurant recommendation blucher
    I think they may have relaxed the no taking photos as long as permission is asked. I went about 6 years ago at Christmas and it was quiet there. At this time it was strictly no photos policy. Copenhagen is just a cool place to explore. Very expensive to eat and drink out but you can find some cheaper places of the main areas.
    I was there a couple of years ago. Love Tivoli Gardens, Free Christiana was utterly surreal, there were loads of signs warning of no photos and as you approached the inner sanctum you pass by huge blokes with dark glasses or balaclavas that look like they belong in the Russian special forces. You then get served, if you decide to be a customer, by dodgy looking blokes all in balaclavas. I made sure that I didn't touch my camera.

Having said all that, the punters were ordinary office worker types and I saw no problems at all.

Copenhagen is a really nice city, we booked into a hostel that overlooked the Tivoli Gardens which offered a communal kitchen facility where we were able to buy stuff from the supermarket at a good price and all for just £70 a night.

Riding my bike across to Malmo via the Øresund Bridge was a great experience but cost E50 return from memory just to buy a bag of chips. Malmo was pretty boring, but it has been ticked off now.
    I'll do tivoli today and freetown. Bit groogy this morning but great city so far. Stunning buildings, people very friendly and well worth a visit for anyone considering it

Thanks all for your suggestions
  • Options
    In freetown now. Different. People seem friendly enough. Had in my head some sort of mad Max style masses completely disgusted to see another square come and stare at them like some circus act
  • Options
    cabbles said:

In freetown now. Different. People seem friendly enough. Had in my head some sort of mad Max style masses completely disgusted to see another square come and stare at them like some circus act

So what exactly is Freetown Christiania ? I've googled it and read a little, but the photos just look like any other place.
    (Not surprising if you can't take photos).
  • Options
    cabbles said:

KettsJohn said:

cabbles said:

KettsJohn said:

Head down to Christiania and take loads of pictures of the people in the little shacks

This was a joke. Please don't do this!

Great city to walk, as I am sure you have realised. Christiania is really interesting to see, with its own set of rules that allows them to sell drugs openly - all very relaxed unless you take a photo! The mermaid is worth a visit. Paper island is a fantastic place for dinner, loads of street food stalls and you can sit by the water, next to a fire, with your food and a beer.

We had a day trip to Malmö, which was okay but not a highlight. I can't remember where we walked to to see them making ships masts but that was impressive and one of the main tourist spots (just looked, it was Nyhavn).

We stayed opposite the Church of Our Saviour, which was great to walk up as you can walk around the outside of the spire to the top. Rundetaarn was very interesting too - a tower that horses and carriages used to be able to travel up to the top - added bonus of a great view from the top.

My highest recommendation is to just walk and see what you find. Enjoy!
    Ha ha, glad you said this was a joke. I really liked Christiana but yeah don't try taking any photos!!! Can't recall much after our visit there.... the day was a bit of a blur and hazy. Loved Cophenhagen.
    Will be doing a little boat tour past there in a bit and don't worry won't get the camera out :wink:

What is about the photos anyway? I've read up a bit online and the bus tour gave the history, but nothing about the reasons behind photos being taken. Is it just a privacy thing or they don't want to be seen as some kind of circus?

Thanks for the restaurant recommendation blucher
    I think they may have relaxed the no taking photos as long as permission is asked. I went about 6 years ago at Christmas and it was quiet there. At this time it was strictly no photos policy. Copenhagen is just a cool place to explore. Very expensive to eat and drink out but you can find some cheaper places of the main areas.
    I was there a couple of years ago. Love Tivoli Gardens, Free Christiana was utterly surreal, there were loads of signs warning of no photos and as you approached the inner sanctum you pass by huge blokes with dark glasses or balaclavas that look like they belong in the Russian special forces. You then get served, if you decide to be a customer, by dodgy looking blokes all in balaclavas. I made sure that I didn't touch my camera.

Having said all that, the punters were ordinary office worker types and I saw no problems at all.

Copenhagen is a really nice city, we booked into a hostel that overlooked the Tivoli Gardens which offered a communal kitchen facility where we were able to buy stuff from the supermarket at a good price and all for just £70 a night.

Riding my bike across to Malmo via the Øresund Bridge was a great experience but cost E50 return from memory just to buy a bag of chips. Malmo was pretty boring, but it has been ticked off now.
    I'll do tivoli today and freetown. Bit groogy this morning but great city so far. Stunning buildings, people very friendly and well worth a visit for anyone considering it

Thanks all for your suggestions
    Try the Elephant beer, it is VERY nice.
  • Options
    Went there for a weekend many years ago. Fucking cold place and literally shuts down on Sunday. Spent most of the weekend in an Irish bar wishing I was back home.
  • Options

cabbles said:

So what exactly is Freetown Christiania ? I've googled it and read a little, but the photos just look like any other place.
    (Not surprising if you can't take photos).
    As I understand it, it’s a hippy commune type place where they’ve all built their own houses (some actually looked alright). I’m guessing the thing that sets it apart is the fact that cannabis is quite a part of the lifestyle and can be sold and consused. I’m not sure about the legality of it all
  • Options
    Closing out I finished in the Tivoli Gardens. Excellent. The vertigo ride was absolutely immense
  • Options
    Was this a solo trip, Avec la femme, or boys trip?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Was this a solo trip, Avec la femme, or boys trip?

just on my jacks mate. always wanted to tick it off the list. Glad I have
  • Options

Copenhagen's historic stock exchange in flames

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68824189
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:

Copenhagen's historic stock exchange in flames

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68824189
    Devastating.
  • Options
    edited April 16
    Was there in August last year and loved it. Terrible to see such damage.
  • Options
    It was under renovation when I was there in November. Even though all you could see was the spire, you could tell the building has a presence and a history to it. Fantastic city and I thoroughly recommend it to everyone, as long as you have a couple of grand tucked away to be able to pay for anything
  • Options
    We're heading there for 3 nights in August and taking the train to Malm for for a few hours. Any suggestions for sightseeing / food would be appreciated :). Thank you
  • Options
    We're heading there for 3 nights in August and taking the train to Malm for for a few hours. Any suggestions for sightseeing / food would be appreciated :). Thank you

Food wise, you need to try a Danish hotdog. You get them from these mobile stands across town.
    Ask for 'en med det hele' (one with everything).

You should also do yourself a favour and try Smørrebrød. It's an open sandwich with lots of different topping options. A great place to have this is at Nyhavn.

Tivoli is always worth a visit. An amusement park in the middle of the city.
    Also, you should still go on a canal cruise. You'll see The Little Mermaid during the cruise (she's really nothing special if you ask me).

Oh yes, and you should also pay the freetown Christiania a visit. Just don't take any photos in there...

Visit a proper danish boozer (often called a Bodega). Beers tend to be cheaper in there as well compared to a touristy Irish pub...

Finally, avoid watching a game with FC Copenhagen. It's nothing but a bloody merger club from 1992 (between two clubs from 1875 and 1903). Proper plastic and not worth your time.

• Options
    Danepak said:

Food wise, you need to try a Danish hotdog. You get them from these mobile stands across town.

You should also do yourself a favour and try Smørrebrød. It's an open sandwich with lots of different topping options. A great place to have this is at Nyhavn.

Also, you should still go on a canal cruise. You'll see The Little Mermaid during the cruise (she's really nothing special if you ask me).

Oh yes, and you should also pay the freetown Christiania a visit. Just don't take any photos in there...

Visit a proper danish boozer (often called a Bodega). Beers tend to be cheaper in there as well compared to a touristy Irish pub...

Finally, avoid watching a game with FC Copenhagen. It's nothing but a bloody merger club from 1992 (between two clubs from 1875 and 1903). Proper plastic and not worth your time.

Wow thanks for that Danepac much appreciated 👍
  • Options
    Danepak said:

Wow thanks for that Danepac much appreciated 👍
    Happy to help 😊
  • Options
    Had amazing sandwiches in a place called Smagsgølet, Torvehallerne, which is an urban food market, was interesting and it's where we got some amazing Smørrebrød. The boat tour that starts and ends at Nyhavn was the one most recommended to us, and was great, The Little Mermaid statue is iconic but it's a bit out of the way of most of the other "sites" of the city, we went over to CopenHill which was a laugh (it's a dry ski slope on top of a waste processing plant!) but again it's out of the way.

I couldn't get over how clean the city was, and the transport links were exceptional. If you're into shopping then get to Strøget
  • Options
    Not forgetting Tivoli Gardens, a three minutes walk from Central Station.
    I'd not spend more than an afternoon in Malmö.
  • Options
    Found a visit to the Carlsberg Brewery a rather nice way to spend a morning.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Just watch what you order in some of the bars...
  • Options
    Thanks all. Haha sam3110 mental note made 🤣 
  • Options
    Lookup "Hey Captain" canal cruise, really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Try the danish salty licorice! I love it.

you could even try this one:

https://www.scandikitchen.co.uk/product/spunk-saltlakrids-25g-salt-2/
  • Options
    Try the danish salty licorice! I love it.

you could even try this one:

https://www.scandikitchen.co.uk/product/spunk-saltlakrids-25g-salt-2/
    An acquired taste. I love salty liquorice, but back in the days, I used to bring some back to London after a few days back home in Denmark. The girlfriend (now wife), colleagues, friends - they all hated it.
  • Options
    Not forgetting Tivoli Gardens, a three minutes walk from Central Station.
    I'd not spend more than an afternoon in Malmö.
    Back in July 2022 I took my daughters to Tivoli Gardens. We spent 11 hours in there and left an hour before they closed. They were devastated that they couldn’t stay that last hour.
  • Options
    edited April 17
    Found a visit to the Carlsberg Brewery a rather nice way to spend a morning.
    "Interesting" decorations on the Elephant Gates.

• Options
    Hindu symbol of good luck and prosperity, and was used by Carlsberg as early as the 1890s, coinciding with the elephant, used as a sign of might and loyalty. 

I guess when they dropped the swastika and adopted the clover, they couldn't be arsed to change the elephants