Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Back To Grass Roots

edited June 2007 in General Charlton
Do not get me wrong i enjoyed our time in the top flight!Well most of it!But the fixtures for next season are giving me a real buzz.
I crave the likes of palarse,cardiff,hull,blackpool,pne etc,for me it takes me back to my early days of following Charlton as iam sure it does for many others!The days then were low crowds due to lots of reasons.
I am very proud to support Charlton and role on the excitement that awaits us!Our crowds now are something i dreamed of then!How far we have come!Be proud of CAFC

Comments

• Options
    Ps the crowds i am referring to are from the late 70's,not the 40's and 50's
  • Options
    Well Tavs, this season is certainly going to bring a change of scenery - and a new challenge.

Like you, I'm a veteran of our old 70's days and those teams were our bread and butter fixtures.
    Can't say I quite share your enthusiasm, though.......I don't really want a return to the old days.

I guess I'm concerned that if we don't win promotion at the first time of asking, then we'll be entrenched in this League for a long time and all ambition and hope will evaporate......

The CCC is a proven graveyard for ex-Premier League clubs. There's enough of them there.

We are perceived at the moment as THE big scalp of the division.
    Let's hope we are promoted before we lose our way.
  • Options
    I look back on the sixties, seventies and eighties in a Charlton context with great pleasure. I have fond memories of matches and players from those times.

A lot of that though in reality is looking back through the mists of time wearing rose tinted spectacles.. The truth of the matter is that we were a club in decline for most of that time much of the football was considerably worse than anything Curbs served up at his most cautious and that decline almost proved to be terminal.

I really do not want to go through that again but I fear we could if we fail to get promoted first time.

I just hope that we get back first time and that a season of Championship football will enable us to think about what we are missing and fully appreciate Premiership football next time. I think too many of us forgot where we came from and got too critical of Curbs and his achievements developing totally unrealistic expectations.

The one bright spot for me is that in Pardew we have a top class manager and if anyone can do it he can.
  • Options
    Exactly, Len....... there's some of us on this board who remember throughout the Mike Gliksten years, a decaying Valley and all our best players being sold off one by one to pay the wagebill.

Despite an occasional memorable season and the emotional high of a few grandstand finishes to steal a result, there wasn't really much to cheer about.

Ambition, apart from a few brave words at the beginning of each season, was stillborn.

Of course, it doesn't have to be like that. Even if we don't win promotion, we could have the excitement of be in the play-offs year after year like Preston - before eventually settling down to a Norwich or QPR type existance.

And eventually we could truly regard Curbs and our Premier days through rose tinted glasses - just like our Dads did with Jimmy Seed, being Div 1 runners-up and winning the FA Cup.

When I was a kid, I never believed I'd ever see Charlton in the top flight - we were in the middle of a 29 year absence and our prospects were nil.

It's so important that we put in a serious promotion bid this season - we need to get back to the Premier, because if we fail, in a few years time the gulf will be so big that we quite possibly will never have the chance again.
  • Options
    Agree with all of that, but I too am looking to get back to some real footie. Look at our fixtures - Colchester at home on New Years Day. When was the last time we had a winnable New Years Day game?

Should be fun, although maybe some of the newer supporters are in for a bit of a shock.
  • Options
    well ive been watching charlton since i was 7 (im 21 now)...and i for one have tremendous excitements brewing inside me....we have our real fans back...and whilst the prem is awesome at least we have some new teams to play! i have seen the coventry and leicester etc etc but not hull, scunny, burnley, blackpool etc
    i hope my trip to hillsborough is better than lasttime when we lost 3-0 to what i thought was a wicked benni carbone goal...only to see motd and it was a rufus og!!!
  • Options
    Good on you Mark. You are the new generation and get to as many games a poss next year mate.
  • Options
    was going to say the same Chicago, then i realised i lift Hillsboro that day the minute Carbone scored that goal and made it back to Crayford Dogs about 8.20.

Loyal supporter my arse !!!