Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Samsung Galaxy S9

2»

Comments

• Options
    Uboat said:

I've got one and though I'm not an expert I find it very good. I upgraded from S7 last year and I couldn't honestly tell you the difference, but it does everything I want, screen is great, no problems etc.
    I wouldn't go with EE, because here in High Barnet it means you can't make a phonecall in your own house, but if coverage is good where you are, go for it.

Yes you use your phone at home with ee using it via your wifi. It's called wifi calling and it just uses you wifi for a signal
  • Options
    Been shopping around online for the s9 and best deal I've found so far (with a decent data allowance) is £30 per month on o2 (free handset, 16GB data, unlimited minutes/texts, 24 mth contract). Really wanted the s9 plus but the best comparative deal is basically the same but with an additional £250 upfront cost for the handset which I can't justify!

Will wait until the end of the week just in case anything pops up as part of a Black Friday deal
  • Options

I got a Huawei Mate 20 pro yesterday, best cameras on a phone you can get, 50 minutes to charge the battery, 2 days battery with normal usage (obviously if your on your phone all day that will drop) has the latest version of Android, and pretty much outperforms every other current phone if the reviews are to be believed. I did a fair bit of research before going with it and so far very happy with the choice.

That's what I've got. So far so good!
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Been shopping around online for the s9 and best deal I've found so far (with a decent data allowance) is £30 per month on o2 (free handset, 16GB data, unlimited minutes/texts, 24 mth contract). Really wanted the s9 plus but the best comparative deal is basically the same but with an additional £250 upfront cost for the handset which I can't justify!

Will wait until the end of the week just in case anything pops up as part of a Black Friday deal

Carphone Warehouse are currently doing 16GB with unlimited texts / mins for the S9; thats for £32 with nothing to pay for the handset

Edit: Just seen you were talking about the S9 Plus with regards to the £250 upfront cost
  • Options
    Talking as a professional photographer here, the new Huawei phone cameras look good but I'm sure I read somewhere recently that the sample images that they were pushing in the advertising campaign had the EXIF data of a Canon 5D MkIII, a pro level DSLR.

Nevertheless, the images still look good. Would love to have a play with one to put the cameras through their paces but will leave that to the expert reviewers.
  • Options

I got a Huawei Mate 20 pro yesterday, best cameras on a phone you can get, 50 minutes to charge the battery, 2 days battery with normal usage (obviously if your on your phone all day that will drop) has the latest version of Android, and pretty much outperforms every other current phone if the reviews are to be believed. I did a fair bit of research before going with it and so far very happy with the choice.

That's what I've got. So far so good!
    Be aware that there are a batch with LG screens that are faulty, they have a green glow around the edges when the brightness is very low, (check out the Huawei UK twitter to see the replies) there is an app you can download to see what make of screen you have, it's called device info HW,, under touchscreen it will either have LG or BOE in the long number, if its LG then its 99% likely its faulty.
    I'm currently waiting for Huawei to get in touch about a replacement.
  • Options
    I got the S9 plus a few months ago. Really happy with it. Picture quality is good. Easy to use. Good display. Seems pretty rugged.

There are obviously a couple quirks. Samsung has their own Siri feature called "Bixby" which I've never figured out how to use because I just use the Android native "OK Google" commands. But that's really been the biggest annoyance. If you like Android OS then I think it's a good phone.
  • Options

Get an iPhone... :-)

Sorry Callum, I know I shouldn't use it for that... And I apologise for besmirching you with one, but you did it to yourself... FLAGGED!
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Huawei are certainly making strides into the Western market. But for now I'd still choose Samsung.

I wouldn't

Huawei, OnePlus, Xiaomi all have far more affordable phones that offer greater value for money.

I've even moved away from Sony, who I loved and moved to from Samsung, when they joined Apple's aggressively overpriced gang after leaving Apple for becoming aggressively overpriced...

I currently use the OnePlus 5t and have purchased my partner a P20 for Christmas to replace her iPhone 6s.

I'll upgrade to whatever is the next OnePlus when my contract runs out.

• Options

Talal said:

I've convinced my girlfriend to move away from iPhone on the condition I get her a new phone for Christmas. All she really uses it for is the camera, Facebook and WhatsApp so I'm not breaking the bank... Have ordered a Xiaomi Mi a2 lite, no doubt I'll get "who the f*ck are they?" comments.

Xiaomi, Huawei and the other Chinese brands are considered the better choices to switch to from an iPhone as they try to mimic IOS in the menus and home screen set up. The Pocofone from Xiaomi is a really good device for the price, they now have a shop in London so would be easy to return should your girlfriend not get on with a device from them if you get one.
    Redmi Note 5 is a very good handset... As is my OnePlus5t (The 6T is brilliant according to reviews and is very affordable and has almost no ugly notch on the screen)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Went for the S9 through the Carphone Warehouse Black Friday deal in the end

Arrived on Monday and absolutely love it so far
  • Options
    I've got the Note 9 which is a very similar phone under the hood and it's superb.

Genuinely a no-comprimises phone. Battery life is the best I've ever had on a modern handset.
  • Options

Looked at one of these yesterday and agree its a beautiful phone but the $1599 price tag put me off.Loved the clarity of the screen.
  • Options
    TEL said:

Looked at one of these yesterday and agree its a beautiful phone but the $1599 price tag put me off.Loved the clarity of the screen.
    Am I right in saying you're based in Oz? If so, why not buy it abroad and have it shipped over, or buy it when you're back in England.

Oz prices of gadgets are ridiculous compared to Europe, Middle East and Asia.
  • Options
    I have one, its decent no issues. recently did think it wasn't charging properly but was due to dust particles getting in, bit unusual not sure its a common problem and once cleaned it was fine again. Cant go wrong if you like samsungs or previously had one, nothing that jumps out to me why you should get it but i would recommend it.
  • Options
    Samsung Galaxy S9 with unlimited text messages, unlimited minutes, and 4GB of 4G data for £19 a month (£150 upfront) - so a total cost over the 2 year contract of £606 (which is cheaper than most of the handset-only prices!)

https://www.t3.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s9-black-friday-deal-ee-discount-code
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

TEL said:

Am I right in saying you're based in Oz? If so, why not buy it abroad and have it shipped over, or buy it when you're back in England.

Oz prices of gadgets are ridiculous compared to Europe, Middle East and Asia.
    Yes, I have been looking around for a deal. I’ve bought overseas before without any problems. Just needs to be factory unlocked.
  • Options
    Anyone got a good screen protector for the s9. I got one from Amazon and it's awful. Makes the screen really unresponsive. Ideally a flexible style one as the more rigid one I have tried was so bad.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    For anyone still after a deal on the S9, this one is almost too good to be true (only runs until Friday):

40GB data, unlimited calls/texts
    £28 per month (and one-off £25 upfront cost)
    Vodafone 24mth contract

https://www.mobiles.co.uk/samsung-galaxy-s9-black?tariffcode=GCIYMNOV18

Total cost over the two years is therefore £697 (and it'll cost you near enough £600 for the handset on its own)