Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Mansfield - Post Match Thread

13Β»

Comments

• Options
    With reference to the crowd, they were on a decent unbeaten run and there was every chance we would field an U23 side.

However, what a great team effort.
    Well done lads.
  • Options
    I've missed it earlier, but why isn't Taylor playing on Saturday?
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Suspended too many yellow cards.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Croydon said:

Yellow cards are now competition specific, so cup games do not count as they used to.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Dansk_Red said:

RedChaser said:

Croydon said:

Yellow cards are now competition specific, so cup games do not count as they used to.
    Yes, I was aware of that, he isn't suspended because of last night's booking but the one he got at Walsall so he can't play in the next league game v Brissle Rovers. And that is why he was able to play last night.
  • Options
    Must admit, i was sitting there freezing cold, soaking wet , thinking what the heck am i doing here?

I could be in front of a nice warm fire, watching I'm a Celebrity in real time.
  • Options
    That third Taylor goal is filth.
  • Options
    Mom
    Had to be ajose
    Where did that performance come from??!!
  • Options
    Patrick Bauer
    ‏

@patrick5bauer
    4h4 hours ago
    More
    Glad to be back on the pitch last night & to get 60min under my belt. Congrats @lyletaylor90 on the hat-trick! πŸ”₯ Thank you for the support & the nice reception! πŸ‘ Into the second round of @EmiratesFACup βœ… #CAFC #COYR
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bowyer has got the whole squad firing .. Taylor ? .. best signing since can't remember when .. five goals seems to have flattered us, but I'll take that every time .. let's do the same to Donny than get a BIG/MASSIVE club at home in the 3rd round .. be nice to see the Valley full(ish) for that one (if & when) .. last night under 2,000! .. I wasn't there so can't say toooo much .. come on youse Addicks !! ((:>)
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Patrick Bauer
    ‏

@patrick5bauer
    4h4 hours ago
    More
    Glad to be back on the pitch last night & to get 60min under my belt. Congrats @lyletaylor90 on the hat-trick! πŸ”₯ Thank you for the support & the nice reception! πŸ‘ Into the second round of @EmiratesFACup βœ… #CAFC #COYR

As I stood up to clap him off, I'm taking that as a personal thank you :smile:
  • Options
    Great post there from the 31 year man.
    So much better than cuddles.
  • Options
    Memorable night for the horrid weather and a goal that would grace any stadium.
    Credit to Mansfield- on another night we could quite easily have gone in losing at HT.
    Plus factors- More mins for Clarke and the return of Bauer.
    Little George Lapslie gets better every time I see him play.
    Ajose needed that goal - let's hope there are more to follow
    Fosu needs a goal - hopefully this Saturday.
    We are just so fortunate to have Taylor and that hat trick goal will live long in the memory bank.
    Onwards and Upwards
  • Options
    No goal for Stevenson but even more than his assist, the outside of the foot ball to Ajose for the second goal was absolute class. He clearly has something about him
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

I liked Bowyer's words from the win as he really compliments Mansfield and the way they played, hopefully the heavy defeat hasn't damaged their confidence too much and will just return to normality in the League now; I imagine it wont do much seeing as they took CJ Hamilton off quite early which felt as though they were conceding us the win by making that move

Dont usually like beating a lower league team by so many goals (Especially the amount that Doncaster got last night), I know its beneficial for our own confidence yet always feels like the bully has gone beyond beating up the little kid and is starting to humiliate them!!

They should be alright @ForeverAddicted. We got similarly hammered at Fulham in our record breaking return to the Championship which didn't affect us cos it was a case of 'FA Cup who gives fcuk we're Charlton Athletic and we're going up' :-)
    what a great day that was. beaten 4 0 yet I don't think anyone in the away end cared
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    rina said:

RedChaser said:

I liked Bowyer's words from the win as he really compliments Mansfield and the way they played, hopefully the heavy defeat hasn't damaged their confidence too much and will just return to normality in the League now; I imagine it wont do much seeing as they took CJ Hamilton off quite early which felt as though they were conceding us the win by making that move

Dont usually like beating a lower league team by so many goals (Especially the amount that Doncaster got last night), I know its beneficial for our own confidence yet always feels like the bully has gone beyond beating up the little kid and is starting to humiliate them!!

They should be alright @ForeverAddicted. We got similarly hammered at Fulham in our record breaking return to the Championship which didn't affect us cos it was a case of 'FA Cup who gives fcuk we're Charlton Athletic and we're going up' :-)
    what a great day that was. beaten 4 0 yet I don't think anyone in the away end cared
    And showed the fallacy of the suggestion that a cup ***run*** can harm league form
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2018

rina said:

RedChaser said:

And showed the fallacy of the suggestion that a cup can harm league form
    Good job we took a dive in the 3rd round then :-)
  • Options
    Liked the sound of Flitcroft's assessment on the Stags forum. Sounds like a decent bloke. Cant access the BBC highlight's from here but that goal from Taylor that someone kindly posted on here was sublime.
  • Options
    TEL said:

Liked the sound of Flitcroft's assessment on the Stags forum. Sounds like a decent bloke. Cant access the BBC highlight's from here but that goal from Taylor that someone kindly posted on here was sublime.

Flitcroft always gives amazing interviews. Always worth hearing. This one sounds quite restrained compared to the rhetorical heights he's capable of
  • Options
    TEL said:

Yup, terrific goal.
  • Options
    Great signing by Bowyer. We certainly traded up.
  • Options
    No ticket details up for the 2nd Round match v Doncaster yet or even an update and those for the Mansfield replay need to be taken down if any staff are looking in :wink: .
  • Options

This time, I was pleased when I saw the team sheet, there were some big hitters out there. I felt particularly confident with Bauer back in the side.
    Mansfield showed their intent from the start when after a short delivered ball by Billy Clarke, led to Danny Rose testing Phillips well in the Charlton goal.
    Despite his recent apathy, Ajose added to his growing number of assists as he fed Taylor for the first goal which he finished with aplomb.
    It was good to see Toby Stevenson growing into the game on his home debut especially when he had to deal with the marauding CJ Hamilton at times.
    Early on, Billy Clarke was struggling to find his passing range but would improve later and Ajose looked like he was interested.
    Last night's conditions were an aid to Fosu. Never easy when someone is running at you with trickery and pace on a wet surface.
    CJ Hamilton showed why he caught Bowyer's eye, hittting the post and a goal that was chalked off for offside.
    As the first half progressed, Mansfield were increasing in confidence and indeed, controlled the ball for long periods. We were too slow coming out, Dijksteel in particular was guilty of this and it allowed the Stags to press.
    Into the 2nd half, Mansfield continued to show their intent. However, we managed to conjure up a second goal. Ajose was admiringly persistent as he put the ball across. Taylor was textbook, as he kept his head down and fired us into a 2-0 lead. Mansfield players must of been perplexed.
    Ajose continued to impress with a couple of cushioned headers. Bauer exited the field of play on 61 min after a good run out.
    We saw the back of Hamilton but Mansfield had sufficient strength in depth to bring on Graham and Walker who presented their own dangers. Clarke tested Olejnik with a decent shot along the greasy grass.
    As we approached the last 10 min, I thought Ajose really needed a goal to accompany the two assists he had delivered, but before that came to pass, we had the eye catching Stevenson putting in a devil of a ball for Marshall to gleefully cash in on for 3-0.
    Then, what a goal to secure your hat-trick. A sumptuous lob over Olejnik by Taylor who previously had done a fair bit of work manoveuring himself into the penalty area.
    The Ajose goal hopefully will be a tonic for him going forward who was served well by a Lapslie ball.
    In the end, Lee Bowyer got what he wanted from his boys and brought Mansfield's 13 match unbeaten run to an end but they were worthy battlers. The best of luck to them, in their League Two promotion campaign.

Thank you Blackpool. I like to keep it brief.

• Options
    RedChaser said:

No ticket details up for the 2nd Round match v Doncaster yet or even an update and those for the Mansfield replay need to be taken down if any staff are looking in :wink: .

Update; match scheduled for Saturday 1st December 3.00pm kick off. Ticket details to follow in due course.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5bf683734a0d3/date-confirmed-for-charltons-emirates-fa-cup-second-round-tie-against-doncaster
  • Options
    I liked Magennis but never would he have scored that goal. I just watched it now and it has made me smile a lot.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Lyle Taylor
    ‏

@lyletaylor90
    2h2 hours ago
    More Lyle Taylor Retweeted Charlton Athletic FC
    Haha the ballboys reaction is priceless πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ˜²πŸ™Š