Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Doncaster Rovers FA Cup 2nd round- Saturday 1st December 15.00

2»

Comments

• edited November 2018
    The away club has no say in the price charged for the FA Cup - this changed a few years back.

I think £15 was a mistake for the Mansfield replay, as was £10 for the Checkatrade nonsense. You certainly don’t increase revenue in proportion to the difference in price, but in any event the prize money is more significant than any ticket revenue.

Bear in mind that in the FA Cup a £5 differential is only worth £1.87 to each club. Basically if you reduce the crowd by charging £15 instead of £10 (adults) there is little or no revenue benefit and you also lose ancillary sales from the extra fans.

I’d be surprised if Charlton’s share of the receipts for the Mansfield replay exceeded £5k net after costs and the pool deduction. The prize money was £36k.
  • Cheesed off that the East Stand isn’t open.
  • clb74 said:

clb74 said:

Be interesting to see how good / bad the home crowd is.

Our support feels like it’s eroding fast

I'm gonna guess 5 to 6k attendance.
    No chance
    Bet you a pint we top 5k Chris
    Yep I'll have that
    I'll have that bet as well.
  • They scored 7, we scored 5 in the first round games, it’s going to be nil-nil.
  • The away club has no say in the price charged for the FA Cup - this changed a few years back.

I think £15 was a mistake for the Mansfield replay, as was £10 for the Checkatrade nonsense. You certainly don’t increase revenue in proportion to the difference in price, but in any event the prize money is more significant than any ticket revenue.

Bear in mind that in the FA Cup a £5 differential is only worth £1.87 to each club. Basically if you reduce the crowd by charging £15 instead of £10 (adults) there is little or no revenue benefit and you also lose ancillary sales from the extra fans.

I’d be surprised if Charlton’s share of the receipts for the Mansfield replay exceeded £5k net after costs and the pool deduction. The prize money was £36k.

How many people would have gone (on a Tuesday evening) if they reduced the price to £10 though? Even if it had been a quid, a lot of people just couldn't be bothered, especially as the evening was cold and wet (leaving aside boycotters)
  • edited November 2018

The away club has no say in the price charged for the FA Cup - this changed a few years back.

How many people would have gone (on a Tuesday evening) if they reduced the price to £10 though? Even if it had been a quid, a lot of people just couldn't be bothered, especially as the evening was cold and wet (leaving aside boycotters)
    I think it makes some difference although it’s one factor among many. The comparable gate is the 4,796 for the first round replay against Barnet in 2010, also a Tuesday night in November, which was £10 adults.

Basically the Charlton support was about two-thirds lower for Mansfield. I don’t believe price played no part in that or that the actual benefit of the higher price is more than trivial at best. It cannot be more than about £3k per club even if zero fans were put off by the higher price.

If you believe the crowd is a factor in performance (which I don’t particularly) presumably you’d prefer 3,000 to 2,000 even if revenue was the sole test - because of the prize money.
  • If the price was £10 could you really see more then 3K turn up last Tuesday? I cant.
  • The away club has no say in the price charged for the FA Cup - this changed a few years back.

I think it makes some difference although it’s one factor among many. The comparable gate is the 4,796 for the first round replay against Barnet in 2010, also a Tuesday night in November, which was £10 adults.

Basically the Charlton support was about two-thirds lower for Mansfield. I don’t believe price played no part in that or that the actual benefit of the higher price is more than trivial at best. It cannot be more than about £3k per club even if zero fans were put off by the higher price.

If you believe the crowd is a factor in performance (which I don’t particularly) presumably you’d prefer 3,000 to 2,000 even if revenue was the sole test - because of the prize money.
    I would imagine the Roland factor would account for that decline, after all League gates have fallen similarly and the Covered End isn’t full despite the season tickets there being very good value
  • Whats the best scenario and highest crowd a game of that type could attract? Lets say we are a mid-table Prem club still with healthy 22k-27k crowds at home. We drew Mansfield in the 3rd round and again we draw away (pretty bad result if we are a prem club, but anyhoo!) and have a tuesday night late Nov replay. Tickets are £10. Even then I cant imagine we would get more then 11or 12K?
  • CAFCTrev said:

Whats the best scenario and highest crowd a game of that type could attract? Lets say we are a mid-table Prem club still with healthy 22k-27k crowds at home. We drew Mansfield in the 3rd round and again we draw away (pretty bad result if we are a prem club, but anyhoo!) and have a tuesday night late Nov replay. Tickets are £10. Even then I cant imagine we would get more then 11or 12K?

We might get 12,000 but that would probably include 2-3,000 Mansfield fans. The modern football supporter thinks cup football is a waste of time unless it's a plum draw.
  • Sponsored links:

• Even non-league football seems to be affected by a degree of cup apathy. The FA Trophy attendances at the weekend were pretty poor in comparison to normal league attendances.