Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tube strike before xmas

Tube driver goes to work on a Monday morning, gets random drug tested and fails for cannabis....2nd test proved positive....3rd independently paid for test is also positive (I presume there’s a zero tolerance policy here)

He’s sacked, appeals it and the appeal upheld the dismissal

Cue drivers staging a mass walk in at the most disruptive time just before Xmas

WTF !?!?!?, how do they get away with it !

Comments

• Tube driver goes to work on a Monday morning, gets random drug tested and fails for cannabis....2nd test proved positive....3rd independently paid for test is also positive (I presume there’s a zero tolerance policy here)

He’s sacked, appeals it and the appeal upheld the dismissal

Cue drivers staging a mass walk in at the most disruptive time just before Xmas

WTF !?!?!?, how do they get away with it !

Wankers
  • So he wasn't stoned at work.
    He got stoned at the weekend, came to work and got tested, as I understand it cannabis stays in the body for up to two weeks, it doesn't mean you are stoned it means there are traces of cannabis in his body.
    That said if he did turn up wankered then he should get the tin.
  • Its in your contract. Evidence of drugs in your system at work, you're sacked. No ifs or buts. You know it and you still do it. Drinking and driving. You take a chance and you can then lose £50k job. Why the strike?. Why inconvenience thousands of people?
  • Greenie said:

So he wasn't stoned at work.
    He got stoned at the weekend, came to work and got tested, as I understand it cannabis stays in the body for up to two weeks, it doesn't mean you are stoned it means there are traces of cannabis in his body.
    That said if he did turn up wankered then he should get the tin.

Plenty of workplaces, particularly logistics firms and anywhere where you have to operate a vehicle operate a zero tolerance policy if you test positive on a drugs test. I imagine this is led as both a safety measure as well as insurance related - whoever insures the London Underground would I imagine as a minimum expect random drug testing and the dismissal of employees who fall foul of it. So if he wasn't disciplined/dismissed as a routine matter of course the insurers would likely take a dim view of LU's adherence to the policy.
  • The Union regularly strikes on grounds of safety.

Surely they would have striked if this driver had not been sacked or are they only pay lip service to safety....
  • Their lips are probably sealed
  • edited November 2018
    If you're gonna be a train driver, you need to give up the "once-a-fortnight" spliff (probably his defence - I only had one puff 2 weeks back and it's cost me me job!) and the booze a few days before your shift and that's why you're paid a decent wedge.

I think most building sites now operate a zero tolerance drink and drug rule too

If you wanna smoke the 'erb, have a career where it don't matter, be a copper