Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rare coins.

Does anyone on here have much of an understanding about such things or know of anywhere that would have more knowledge on them.

Seems I’ve managed to get a £2 coin to commemorate the abolition of slavery which may be worth a fair bit more than two quid.

I’ve looked on eBay but the prices are all over the place.

Comments

• Coincraft in London, opposite the Brit Mus.
    Will give you a fair valuation.
  • Coincraft in London, opposite the Brit Mus.
    Will give you a fair valuation.

Cheers, might pop in there when I’m in town over Christmas.
  • value always varies on ebay - some of the high value ones are probably due to a rare error on the coin. Not sure of the exact one you have but 8.5million of the slavery £2 coins are out there, very common.
  • Mike said:

value always varies on ebay - some of the high value ones are probably due to a rare error on the coin. Not sure of the exact one you have but 8.5million of the slavery £2 coins are out there, very common.

The one I have has the writing on the outer edge only readable when the queen’s head is facing down which apparently is an error and makes its value higher.
  • nice, yeah definitely get it valued.
  • I’ll give you £2.25 for it.....always SoundAsa£ don’t ya know.
  • I found an old 1952 half crown in a draw at home. Anybody know if it’s worth anything?
  • Me and all my surviving siblings have a Churchill coin, 1965, not worth much more than my dad forked out for them.
  • Change checker has an app
  • I found an old 1952 half crown in a draw at home. Anybody know if it’s worth anything?

A half crown 1952 is the last George VI one. It's a rarity. Show it to a merchant,
    ( Charing X Road) or go to Coin Collector's Fair at Charing X station open every Saturday morning.
    That's where I go before every Saturday game I attend at the Valley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Is there a big market for old coins? I inherited my grandfather's collection, and wouldn't mind knowing a bit more about it... Particularly its value!

Seems the price depends very much on the quality of the coin, does gauging that require an expert eye?
  • It's worth sod all, there are 8.5 million of those coins in circulation.
  • PopIcon said:

It's worth sod all, there are 8.5 million of those coins in circulation.

Maybe you could read the other posts before making that judgement eh.
  • buckshee said:

PopIcon said:

Ok. It's worth a million pounds.
  • buckshee said:

PopIcon said:

At minimum it's worth £2
  • buckshee said:

PopIcon said:

Maybe you could read the other posts beformaking that judgement eh.
    It's currently worth about 2.57 US Dollars.
  • McBobbin said:

Is there a big market for old coins? I inherited my grandfather's collection, and wouldn't mind knowing a bit more about it... Particularly its value!

Seems the price depends very much on the quality of the coin, does gauging that require an expert eye?

@McBobbin
    There are 4 or 5 grades of coin based on the quality/lustre.
    This grading obv affects the price and needs to be assessed by an expert.
  • McBobbin said:

Is there a big market for old coins? I inherited my grandfather's collection, and wouldn't mind knowing a bit more about it... Particularly its value!

@McBobbin
    There are 4 or 5 grades of coin based on the quality/lustre.
    This grading obv affects the price and needs to be assessed by an expert.
    Thanks you!
  • buckshee said:

PopIcon said:

Maybe you could read the other posts beformaking that judgement eh.
    It's currently worth about 2.57 US Dollars.
    Give it 6 months it will be worth a Euro.
  • A coin dealer is a regular in my pub. Churchill Crowns are indeed worth something. 25 New Pence to be precise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not a rare coin but I have a Victory Medal which I dug up in our garden about 45 years ago. It has the recipients name inscribed around the edge and I know it was the surname of the family whom we bought the house from. I have held onto it all this time because I realised it was of importance to someone.

I would like to repatriate it with the recipients family but with just a surname to go with I’m not sure where to start. Thoughts anyone?
  • Not a great photo but coin on right has different coloured centre. Same metal as outer, both coins same weight.

Don't know if it's a forgery or mis-struck?