Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Broadband scam

edited November 2018 in Not Sports Related
Today I have had two phone calls telling me my internet is being shut down, if I wish to speak to a tech guy to ring the number they gave me. It was a taped American voice and they said they were from California. My internet is with Sky, so I phoned them to see what was happening, they assured me it was a scam, there is no way they would ring me and tell me they were shutting my internet off over the phone, but instead would either email me or write to me, warning me in advance. I hope none of you get caught, so I am warning you, even if you are not with Sky, as they never mentioned any names of internet companies they were with

Comments

• Options
    Sky is a scam, you're right.
  • Options
    Any cold call I get I tell them that if they want me to do something then write to me. They never do of course.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Indirectly linked and a little old but still an interesting watch

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_YRs28yBYuI
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Indirectly linked and a little old but still an interesting watch

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_YRs28yBYuI

I integrated this clip into the Cyber Security and Social Media Awareness presentations that I delivered to the company's staff, across the UK, in a previous job I had. A really powerful and impactful message that simply highlights the amount of (attractive) personal information people put on the likes of Facebook for all to see. They found it really helpful to show their younger family members as well. Simple message I guess is, if you do use social media platforms and want to tell the world everything about you, lock down the security and privacy settings.
  • Options
    I had a call from the tax office a couple of months ago stating I owe £4,000 from 2015. I did believe it was genuine at first but when the caller demanded immediate payment and couldnt answer why I wasn’t sent a letter, I got suspicious. I asked simple questions like what office are you from and what department etc, he hung up.
  • Options
    Thread title is a bit harsh on Sky!
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Thread title is a bit harsh on Sky!

Changed it