Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The New Forest

Anyone been before?

And can recommend things to do, places to see / stay / eat.

Always driven around it / or through it , but never stayed before , probably not camping , as my back is not up to it these days, thank you.

Comments

• edited December 2018
    Beaulieu is worth a visit. I also recommend cycling through Brockenhurst, Lyndhurst or Burley. If you don't have bikes then there's plenty of places you can hire one from.
  • Nice countryside, plenty of accommodation but beware of ticks!
  • Charlton fans going to the New Forest, should obviously stay at the Balmer Lawn Hotel.
    I recommend it.
  • Going to sandy balls for new year.

Make sure you go to The Fighting Cocks just up the road mate, a great pub. Spent more than one long boozy afternoon in there.
  • I used to go on holiday there as a kid and try a flying visit once a year now. My favourite places are...

Puttles Bridge car park near Brockenhurst. A mix of forest, river and plains, lots of wild ponies up on the top part.
    Bolderwood Deer Sanctuary. The deer there are in a large, free roaming enclosure and there are some lovely walks around it.
    Blackwater car park. Some of the biggest and oldest trees in the area, you're never far from the road but it feels very 'grand'.
    Wilverley Inclosure is old woodland surrounded by heathland. You can't go wrong with any car park and signposted walks, though.

All the main towns and villages are worth visiting and have cool little independent shops. I don't think there's a bad pub either.
  • edited December 2018
    Go on the little boat to Hurst Castle and walk back on the shingle spit. Beaulieu is good but expensive for a family.

By the way how long will it be called the New Forest for, its bloody ancient.
  • Ditto what everyone else has said. I have pasted a link below for some lodges we have stayed in twice. Not sure if you have kids but the 2 person lodges have a sunken bath in the bedroom, hot tub and sauna on the decking and a log burner to cozy up too.

They do have larger lodges as well though.

https://www.hoseasons.co.uk/lodges/new-forest-lodges-newf

Make sure you go to The Fighting Cocks just up the road mate, a great pub. Spent more than one long boozy afternoon in there.
    Really......maybe in the past but now a sad tip much in need of a makeover.
    And very very expensive into the bargain.
    Avoid mate!

• Sponsored links:

Isn't that Camber Sands?
  • edited December 2018
    RedPanda said:

I used to go on holiday there as a kid. My favourite place is.....

Puttles Bridge car park

Really?
  • Not been for years, but can confirm Sandy Balls is the way to go.
  • edited December 2018
    Very dog friendly - we try to give the dog his holiday there every year. We have a good time too :) Some great pubs there.
  • RedPanda said:

Puttles Bridge car park

Really?
    Think it's a fresh water river where kids play during the summer months.
  • edited December 2018
    But niche but you can always go hunting post boxes. Used to love doing it in Dartmoor as a kid but now in New Forest too I think.

Not far from Lyme Regis for fossils too
  • Lovely part of the world.

Sandy Balls holiday park have lodges & caravans as well as camping available. Stayed there a few times and always had a great time. McDonald Elmers Court in Lymington is good too.

The Beaulieu Motor Museum is a must and Bucklers Hard is good too.

A lot of pubs do great food, The George at Fordingbridge is nice.

I would second Bucklers Hard - fantastic history.

Personal history too - my great great great great grandfather, Hugh Munro, was 1st Lieutenant on HMS Surprize in the mid 18th century, a ship built at Bucklers Hard :)
  • You can always add in a day trip to the IOW if you have time.
  • It's so good to see that no-one has sunk to the level of saying something like "they've never recovered from Brian Clough quitting" yet.

Oh.
  • edited December 2018
    Dazzler21 said:

RedPanda said:

Puttles Bridge car park

Really?
    Think it's a fresh water river where kids play during the summer months.
    Nah,his favourite place is a Car 🚗 Park @Dazzler21 that’s wot @RedPanda said!
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks for your comments, really appreciate it.
  • Another vote for Bucklers Hard. A decent bit of history followed by a pint at the Master Builders. The "roadside" tables are the surely the best pub tables anywhere.

Apart from the odd glimpse of Fawley Refinery, The New Forest is glorious.
  • lovely area around there.
  • I used to love The Cat And The Fiddle Pub.
  • Another vote for Bucklers Hard. A decent bit of history followed by a pint at the Master Builders. The "roadside" tables are the surely the best pub tables anywhere.

Butlers Hard is a nightmare to get in by yacht. You have to steer by withies, which are sticks of willow buried in the sand. Great timeless place but service in the pub leaves something to be desired. Beaulieu MM great as is the Manor and restaurant.

If you've not been, ferry or cat to Cowes is like a Brexiteers orgasm, a step back in time.
  • edited December 2018

Another vote for Bucklers Hard. A decent bit of history followed by a pint at the Master Builders. The "roadside" tables are the surely the best pub tables anywhere.

Butlers Hard is a nightmare to get in by yacht. You have to steer by withies, which are sticks of willow buried in the sand. Great timeless place but service in the pub leaves something to be desired. Beaulieu MM great as is the Manor and restaurant.

If you've not been, ferry or cat to Cowes is like a Brexiteers orgasm, a step back in time.
    Great advice for any potential visitors - go by car and follow the road signs.

That's the one on the left when you come out the resort isn't it?
    Was going to take a walk around the test ground for the ten tonne bomb.
    Ten tonne tesse
    Think that is local to the resort.
    Good walk around there, then in the fighting cocks for a few.
    Nice taking the dog down to the river Avon.