Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton in the Snow

2»

Comments

• Options
    I remember that game pretty much on a par with Wemberleee. Sad really but our successes against the scum are so rare any game where we win is right up there.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

This match must be the highest high I’ve ever had at a football match (it even surpasses Wembley). Sounds strange that considering it was only against Millwall but sharing that evening with my late (older) brother and the buzz we had during and after the match then having a beer together in the Lord Herbert will forever be etched in my heart. Take a bow Mr Paul Mortimer and Mr Kim Grant plus the rest of the team.... you leave a legacy of the highest order and I thank you. I hope you are very proud.
    I game I will never forget. Flew back from Germany, trains screwed due to snow so I had to get a bus from central London. All worth it though!!
  • Options

Did they use a "Rugger" ball in those days?
    Yes,

This is from January 1953 when played a game v Blackheath Rugby club. One half football rules and one half rugby rules. Was a charity game.
    Never happened again as the RFU banned it as the egg chasers weren't allowed to mix with professional types.

Charlton won 8 - 3. We had a few northern players who'd played Rugby League and the south Africans who'd played Union at home so won easily in both halves.

Programme is very rare. Last one to come up for auction went for £220.
    That's all very well, but I note there is only one Charlton player in the box - did Robbos Grandad stand in for Jimmy Seed that day?
  • Options
    edited December 2022
  • Options
    Yes, This is from January 1953 when played a game v Blackheath Rugby club. One half football rules and one half rugby rules. Was a charity game. Never happened again as the RFU banned it as the egg chasers weren't allowed to mix with professional types. Charlton won 8 - 3. We had a few northern players who'd played Rugby League and the south Africans who'd played Union at home so won easily in both halves. Programme is very rare. Last one to come up for auction went for £220.
    That's all very well, but I note there is only one Charlton player in the box - did Robbos Grandad stand in for Jimmy Seed that day?
    Did Stuart Leary play in this game?
    I ask because when he was at school it was undecided whether he would follow a rugby career or football……to say nothing of his cricketing ability. 
    It was a given early on that he was destined to make a career in sport one way or the other, such were his talents.
    He was simply a sporting phenomenon who could have taken a number of different directions.
    I wonder what he was like at tennis?
  • Options
    Yes, This is from January 1953 when played a game v Blackheath Rugby club. One half football rules and one half rugby rules. Was a charity game. Never happened again as the RFU banned it as the egg chasers weren't allowed to mix with professional types. Charlton won 8 - 3. We had a few northern players who'd played Rugby League and the south Africans who'd played Union at home so won easily in both halves. Programme is very rare. Last one to come up for auction went for £220.
    Did Stuart Leary play in this game?
    I ask because when he was at school it was undecided whether he would follow a rugby career or football……to say nothing of his cricketing ability. 
    It was a given early on that he was destined to make a career in sport one way or the other, such were his talents.
    He was simply a sporting phenomenon who could have taken a number of different directions.
    I wonder what he was like at tennis?
    No, I think that was another match when we played Kent CCC in a "half and half" game.

Although we easily won the second half 5-0, we couldn't make up the deficit of their 87-4 in the first half.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why would the lamps be on those 3 small areas of the pitch…. ? 
  • Options
    reseeded areas ?
  • Options
    Why have we got a bike store in one of the goals?
  • Options
    reseeded areas ?
    Could be right, very little of our play takes places at either end of the pitch….
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Why have we got a bike store in one of the goals?
    It gives Lavelle a chance of catching up with whatever striker has left him for dead  
  • Options
    Just an upgrade on braziers ... without the chestnuts ...

• Options
    Is that Maine Road?
  • Options
    Or Tannadice?
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Maine Road. When we played City in our first year back in the old First Division, we stood in that corner above the tunnel. Bob Bolder’s debut, and he had a mare!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That was one ground I never got to and have regretted it ever since. 
    But I have been seen them play in Hamburg 
  • Options

Now back to the snow and orange ball. 
    Old Bill leather gloves and Kim Grant .
    Derek Hales and Halifax at The Valley.
    Took me over 6 hours to drive thru Belgium once coming home from Valley in the snow .
    Journey would normally take 2 hours.