Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are we really going to win the league?

edited June 2007 in General Charlton
It would be nice to think so, but is it realistic to think that way?

Our team was largely inept last season and there was a distinct lack of fight and quality. On top of that we will likely start next season without our best two players from last term - Carson and Bent - whilst a lot of the old rubbish that failed so miserably last time out is still there (M Bent, Lisbie, Romm, Thomas, Faye, etc)

We've made a few decent enough signings, but I don't think we should get too far ahead of ourselves just yet. Otherwise before you know it people will be demanding the managers head if we aren't 12 points clear by the end of September!

Comments

• Options
    No, I think this is the problem we have at the moment.

The club is vibrant etc which is good to see, but I think some people dont realise this league is a lot more competitive than it was last time we were there.

I can see a few seasons of mid table football ahead of us. With the squad and mentality they have can you honestly see us going to Stoke and picking up 3 points ?
  • Options
    the way i see it is the side we had last season would not of been good enough to win the Championship. We will be losing our two best players from that side, so a number of improvements need to be made to ensure we start the season with a better side than what finished the last.

If not, i don't think we have much chance and see play offs as more realistic, particularly as it sometimes takes time for a new side to gel. If we don't hit the ground running it will be double hard as it will quickly turn from a supportive crowd, to one on their backs.
  • Options
    might just scrape the play offs i reckon but thats it. Its not going to be pretty.
  • Options
    Was having this conversation with another Lifer last night. I didn't think it would be the stroll that some expect but they said that their friends who support other CCC team thought we'd walk it.

I think the team will be so different next year both in personnel and attitude that I just don't know how it will go.

On paper the squad looks strong but until we know who is going/staying/coming I think it is too early to call.

Our home form was good last year and I expect that to continue but we have to win 12-15 away games IMHO. That's the unknown factor for me.
  • Options
    What's an away win Henry?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]What's an away win Henry?

Ask your granddad : - )
  • Options
    i think we'll stay up
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i think we'll stay up

lol
  • Options
    I don't think we'll win the league. In my opinion our squad (assuming it's min us D Bent) is definitely inferior to the side which won the title in 2000 in all areas - quality as well as heart and character.
    At 9-2 favourites we are definitely a lay.
    That said, I'm no doom 'n gloom merchant and I'm confident we could make the play-offs at which stage I'd back Pardew and our fans to give us the edge over anyone in this league.
  • Options
    102 Points and 98 goals. Win the league by a mile.

i've had too bottles of sauvignoin blanc though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2007
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]102 Points and 98 goals. Win the league by a mile.

Not returning to the Street Wars land this week then mate? You know you loved Roch last week!
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited June 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]102 Points and 98 goals. Win the league by a mile.

Going to get home and head down there with the Sat Nav i think!
  • Options
    edited June 2007
  • Options
    MCSMCS
    edited June 2007
  • Options
    edited June 2007
  • Options
    MCSMCS
    edited June 2007
  • Options
    edited June 2007
  • Options
    if we keep benty we'll walk it
  • Options
    Not with our current squad, I think there's a fair bit of trading still to be done and to be fair a fair bit of time left before the season starts and the transfer window closes. There are still players like Rommedahl and Marcus Bent on the books who I'd like to see the back of and some holes in our squad that need filling. Plus I hope players like Andy Reid and Gibbs come back from injury.

We need: a goalkeeper, a central midfielder or two and a striker if/when Bent goes.

If we can get an experienced keeper, and sign a good player or two, possibly on loan then I reckon our chances are high. The CCC looks to have a great number of teams who are much of a muchness and a bit of quality here and there could just make all the difference.
  • Options
    I don't think Charlton fans are confident about anything, but we do have some players who have or I expect to perform very well at this level. Players like Reid, Holland, Bougherra,Fortune,Hughes and Iwelumo and Young and Darren Bent if there still around. These players are capable of a top 5 finish at least.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am very confident we will win the league, even if we lost Bent we will be far too strong for anyone else in the league, and now that laurel and hardy have left the building(HH and El kak) we can start cutting out the silly defensive errors that cost us last year.
  • Options
    I wonder what all that mystery stuff was kicked off by AFKA???!

I must confess that in Reid, Holland, Bougherra,,Hughes and Iwelumo we have some excellent players at this level, plus maybe Diawarra and even Marcus Bent(!) - we have a strong basis of a squad already, and more to come - who knows Carson and Song could yet be back.

Until August we won't have the full picture but at the moment I am confident of a top 3 finish for sure.
    If Dazza were to stay then top 2 fur sure :-)

PS agree with Canada Addick that the departure of Laurel & Hardy is a good thing - nice guys ..... great entertainment ..... liabilities.
  • Options
    We have got a good enough defence, no doubt about that but we do need a new keeper, two new centre-midfielders and maybe another striker but we do have Varney, Iwulemo and M. Bent so that's nowhere near as big a priority as central midfield. If we can get a decent new central midfield partnership then we have a great chance, I would not mind seeing ZZ brought back (a much more realistic prospect than Song, IMO) alongside a defensive player like Walton or a new player, that's the priority.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]I wonder what all that mystery stuff was kicked off by AFKA???!

No mystery stuff, just went off topic so deleted. I agree with others, we won;t really be able to judge until the start of the season. We have to bring in at least 3 centre mids at least, so our starting team will look different to what we think now.

I just have this fear that a lot of people think a season in the championship will be a bit of a walk in the park, a holiday. It won't, it will be a lot harder than that.

And the last thing we need is a crowd with unrealistic expectations.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    I just have this fear that a lot of people think a season in the championship will be a bit of a walk in the park, a holiday. It won't, it will be a lot harder than that.

totally agree , just like last year some people thought we'd stay up !!!
    play offs at best for us this year and i really do think if we don't go up this year we'll be hanging around in this league for a few years to come
  • Options
    oooh aaah will be happy with 45 points

*rolls eyes*
  • Options
    ooh aah would dread going on holiday......in case it rains ;o)
  • Options
    We'll def need a battler in the centre of midfield but all in all, the quality of the league is pretty poor. Plenty of mates who are Saints n Plymouth fans and they all say there is a big lack of teams that actually play football in the league. If we can keep 90% of our squad inc Benty then we really shouldnt have any problems getting out, providing we dont drop to the level of our opponents.
    You only have to watch Football League Review on a Sunday night to see how comical it can be at times.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]

totally agree , just like last year some people thought we'd stay up !!!

play offs at best for us this year and i really do think if we don't go up this year we'll be hanging around in this league for a few years to come

Last year we had the opportunity to stay up, no question.......it wasn't unrealistic at all.

We were eventually relegated by 4 points - 2 of those draws converted into wins however 'lucky' (like West Ham's Blackburn, Arsenal & Man U victories) would have seen us stay up. Not conceding injury time goals at Everton & Liverpool would have yielded 3 points on their own.

Could we/should we have stayed up?

Of course. We were much closer to being safe than many think.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The real damage was done early in the season...just one win under Dowie, one under Reed - just two wins before Christmas/the arrival of Pardew and too many points thrown away, especially against the likes of Watford and at times we really were poor and lacking in any kind of belief, especially away from home.