Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Soros

2»

Comments

• Options
    just for clarity i dont own a scaffold---or a gun--the mythical petron cans are still in the actual shed---i have no idea where St George is or want to.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Great news about the FT Person of the Year award. I’ve mentioned it before on here but if anyone is truly interested in why George Soros is motivated to do what he does try reading ‘Maskerado (Dancing around Death in Nazi Hungary)’ by his father Tivadar Soros.

People like Trump and Orban aren’t fit to clean his shoes.
  • Options

To be fair if Soros hadn't have broken the Bank of England in 1992 then someone else would have done - it was the speculative equivalent of an open goal. Would the population have preferred the economic misery which would have resulted from persisting with the wrong exchange rate?

Sure but every other country in the ERM simply devalued against the DM that weekend. They went on to stay in the ERM, form the Euro and most enjoyed growth throughout save 2-3 years post crash.

The trouble with the UK is that the value of sterling is kinda attached to the flag for cultural reasons too obscure to discuss.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

SDAddick said:

Chizz said:

I'm only rich because I know when I'm wrong

George Soros has been named as the FT's Man of the Year. I will admit I don't know much about him, other than the fact that he escaped Nazism, left Hungary to live, study and work in London, made a great deal of money with successive hedge funds, successfully backed against sterling during the ERM crisis, is an extremely generous philanthropist, has given billions of dollars to various liberal organisations through his Open Society Foundation, I had to pretend to be him in a commercial property auction in around 1990 and (this is the bit that makes me think that, in general terms, he's probably a good egg) Nigel Farage hates him.

So, what does the pool of unlimited Charlton Life knowledge make of George Soros? The "biggest danger to the entire western world"? Or Man of the Year?

Ummmmmmm, I feel like you buried the lede here mate.
    I was involved on the very fringes of the commercial property auction market in the late 80s and early 90s a.
    If that's you in your picture would not have had you down as old enough to be doing that in the 80s!
  • Options
    Not many people can say that they have given to charity, over a period of almost 40 years, what amounts to 80% of their net worth?
  • Options

To be fair if Soros hadn't have broken the Bank of England in 1992 then someone else would have done - it was the speculative equivalent of an open goal. Would the population have preferred the economic misery which would have resulted from persisting with the wrong exchange rate?

Sure but every other country in the ERM simply devalued against the DM that weekend. They went on to stay in the ERM, form the Euro and most enjoyed growth throughout save 2-3 years post crash.

The trouble with the UK is that the value of sterling is kinda attached to the flag for cultural reasons too obscure to discuss.
    If the UK had bitten the bullet and devalued then Soros would still have made his profit, but the BoE wouldn’t have lost money by buying up GBP in a flawed attempt to arrest the inevitable.

Central banking is all about ‘credibility’ and Soros correctly postulated that the UK’s defence of the exchange rate wasn’t credible, because no sane country would tolerate the economic pain it would have implied.
  • Options

Not many people can say that they have given to charity, over a period of almost 40 years, what amounts to 80% of their net worth?

What about the Trump family? Oh wait a minute....
  • Options
    edited December 2018

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/25/why-wont-nigel-farage-answer-my-brexit-questions

Investigation on here on how Soros allegedly funds the far right.

This article says the exact opposite. In fact, the article is completely contradictory both in fact and tone to your post.
    yep - got mixed up. Deleted it. Not sure how you can detect tone from a post though.