Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General Charlton Statistics

Thought we could have a place where any interesting statistics that people find or come across could be put on here. I’ll start it off to be Charlton specific but if there’s others regarding different teams that are quite cool, that would be interesting to have. Considering I’m a bit of nerd for these kind of things.

Now we are halfway through the season I’ve done a bit of work myself, looking specifically at our strike rate and conversion rate, for and against.

I’ve put ones in bold that I think are a bit more useful that could analysed in further detail and maybe areas of where we are strong or that need to be improved.

Charlton Strike Rate:
23 games
38 goals scored (1.65 per game)
246 shots (10.7 per game)
95 shots on target (4.13 per game)
38.6% of shots are on target
40% of our shots on target are scored
15.45% of all shots are scored
89.48% of our goals scored so far have been in the 18 yard box
55.26% of our goals scored so far have been from Taylor & Grant

Opposition Strike Rate:
23 games
25 goals against (1.08 per game)
280 shots faced (12.17 per game)
91 shots on target (3.96 per game)
32.5% of all shots faced are on target
27.47% of all shots on target are scored against us
8.93% of all shots faced are scored

Additional analysis of penalties:
47.8% of the 23 games have included a penalty
81.8% of all penalties awarded have been scored
72.7% of penalties awarded are for Charlton
15.79% of our goals scored so far have been from penalties

Make of these what you will, but one thing that I really find interesting is almost 90% of our goals scored have been in the box which says to me we are getting the ball forward and into dangerous positions far more than we have been in previous seasons. It also says to me that if we could shoot more often in a match, because of our high percentage of shots on target, with a high conversion rate, we are likely to score more goals. Seems obvious, however, as we can see with the opposition they have had more shots than us per game but aren’t anywhere near as ruthless we are

Comments

• 40% of our shots on target are scored

That looks impressive
  • bloody 'ell I had better look to my laurels or should it be stats
  • Updated Bowyer League Record:

Played: 65

Won: 37
    Drawn: 13
    Lost: 15

Scored: 99
    Conceded: 53

PPG: 1.907

In these 65 games, only Wigan away this season is the game we have lost by more than one goal and failed to score.

This also means, the next goal scored by us will be the 100th under Bowyer in the league.

In recent times, only Chris Powell has got close to this record, very close in fact. His first 65 league games includes the incredible season where we won the league and the first part of his reign, where it is tainted due to that horrible second half of the season. 

Powell's first 65 league games:

Won: 33
    Drawn: 16
    Lost: 16

Scored: 97
    Conceded 62

PPG: 1.769
  • edited September 2019
    Another way is if we compare Powell's first full season in charge and the first 9 league games of the following season, to Bowyer's first full season in charge and the games so far this season...

Powell:
    Played: 55

Won: 32
    Drawn: 14
    Lost: 9

Scored: 92
    Conceded: 48

Bowyer:
    Played: 55

Won: 31
    Drawn: 12
    Lost: 12

Scored: 85
    Conceded: 48

I think this shows just how amazing Bowyer has done, as considering we absolutely smashed the league when we won League One under Powell, to have almost identical records shows he is a miracle worker, all things considered with what he has had to deal with. 

We have got ourselves an incredible manager who really needs to be appreciated and rewarded. Not that we didn't know that already!
  • stonemuse said:
    40% of our shots on target are scored That looks impressive
    To work out what it is so far this season...

We have had 31 shots on target in 9 games. 78 shots on goal in total (39.74% of our shots are on target)

Out of those 31 shots on target, we have scored 12 goals (38.7% of all shots on target are scored)

This does mean though that only 15.38% of all our shots on goal are scored, maybe because we are a level above it is harder but does suggest that if we are able to get more of our shots on target, we are actually more likely to score. Seems obvious of course, but with our record of shots on target to goals scored already being high, in theory we should score more often if we can even up it to around 50%.
  • Going the other way, defensively and shots faced against us...

We have had a total of 140 shots against us, almost double the amount we have managed.

Of those 140, only 33 have been on target (23.57%)

We have conceded 8 goals in the 9 games so far. This means that for every 17.5 shots against us, we concede 1 goal (5.71% of shots faced are scored against us).

It also means that 24.24% of shots on target faced against us are scored, or every 4.125 shots on target faced against us are scored.

This shows we are far more ruthless in front of goal than our opponents, or maybe we only shoot when we feel we can score and instead other teams are shooting when they don't have a strong probability of scoring.

These stats may not mean too much right now, but to me it suggests we have defended well overall and especially when Taylor has played, we have been very efficient in front of goal.
  • One final stat is that out of the 8 goals conceded so far, 4 of them have been from set-pieces.

Out of the 12 goals we have scored so far, 5 have been from set-pieces, including 2 penalties.

Around half of all goals so far this season have been down to a set-piece or dead ball situation. This alone shows how vital they are and why the work done by Jackson, Marshall, and Brett Shaw is so, so important to how we do this season. 
  • Top stuff sage
  • well done Sage, I'll be out of a job soon :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Really insightful stats Sage thanks for that.
  • Sage said:
    stonemuse said:
    does suggest that if we are able to get more of our shots on target, we are actually more likely to score. 
    No way! :wink:

• Dazzler21 said:
    Sage said:
    stonemuse said:
    does suggest that if we are able to get more of our shots on target, we are actually more likely to score. 
    No way! :wink:

You decided to leave out the next four words of my post :wink:
  • Last night, Leko scored the 100th league goal under Bowyer. 
  • We dont win evening games
  • We dont win evening games
    Last night was the first evening league game we had lost since well incredibly, 02/10/18 away at Scunthorpe, a whole year to the day.

Our record since then had been won 6, drawn 2.