Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Views on 2018

I think 2018 has been a positive year for us with Bowyer and Jackson improving us as a side and despite Roland still our owner his intention of selling the club will hopefully mean once he has sold then we can restore faith and move forward from this. I’d be surprised and pretty angry if 2019 isn’t the year we will have new ownership.

COYR!!!

Comments

• Options
    I'd love to share your optimism re a sale but I don't see what has changed between now and last May when a deal was supposedly very close. I do feel more affinity with the team than I have done at any point in the duchatelet era and I think bowyer can take the credit for that. A new owner who can harness a similar feel-good factor around the club as well as the team would be amazing but I just don't see it. Hope I'm wrong!
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

I think 2018 has been a positive year for us with Bowyer and Jackson improving us as a side and despite Roland still our owner his intention of selling the club will hopefully mean once he has sold then we can restore faith and move forward from this. I’d be surprised and pretty angry if 2019 isn’t the year we will have new ownership.

COYR!!!

Prepare to be surprised and angry :wink:
  • Options
    drewman said:

I'd love to share your optimism re a sale but I don't see what has changed between now and last May when a deal was supposedly very close. I do feel more affinity with the team than I have done at any point in the duchatelet era and I think bowyer can take the credit for that. A new owner who can harness a similar feel-good factor around the club as well as the team would be amazing but I just don't see it. Hope I'm wrong!

365 days for that to happen though?

Might not be in the early part of that period but I feel there is a chance it might happen during that period.
  • Options

drewman said:

365 days for that to happen though?

Might not be in the early part of that period but I feel there is a chance it might happen during that period.
    And you would probably have said the same this time last year.
  • Options
    Although the team may look and feel a bit better, as a club we are still in a terrible place so, no, this cannot have been a good year.
  • Options

Half our team are either on loan or out of contract in the summer.
    Yet another rebuild for next season.
    No continuity whatsoever.
    Nothing changes until Roland sells.

THIS. 2019 can only get worse. Nothing will improve until RD goes. If he is still here by the end of the season watch most of the out of contract players leave. Only ones that stay/sign new deals are the ones just back from injury (JFC) as they know getting a new club could be tricky (that's why Page just signed a new deal).

• Options
    No sale until he lowers his price ... which he won’t do because he believes, as always, that he is right.

Hopefully I am wrong but I can’t see a sale until 2020.
  • Options
    Our club is still owned and controlled by a man who doesn't understand it, doesn't care for it and who has inflicted great damage. 2018 was another bastard of a year for the club and its fans.
  • Options
    There are two main tangible assets of the club and one more intangible asset.

Tangible assets -

stadium, surrounding land and training ground - Duchâtelet has given us new seats and a new pitch, he has failed to deliver on training ground, under pitch heating and latterly basic cleanliness. Overall a marginal fail

Player contracts - from selling Yann, hiring Sarr and Vetokele in such long contracts to then not having anyone on hardly any length contract at all. Total failure from beginning to end leaving us with an overall set of contracts worth close to nil or maybe negative.

Intangible asset

Fan base and support

Complete failure to understand, engage, retain, develop. Brilliant work on antagonising, pissing off, generation of protests and boycotts. Would have had to try seriously hard to do worse.

Overall report:

Terrible owner, should sell immediately for whatever he can get for the sake of his own bank balance, ease of life in Belgium and for the future of Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2018
    A owner out of kilter with the bizarre world of professional football.
    The fan base is split in more pieces than the three tier wedding cake.
    Still not sold dispite the owners muse leaving over a year ago.
    Amazing job by Bowyer, Jackson and Galleon with the debacle off the pitch and the myriad of injuries on it.
    The impasse continues but in some ways I thought we would be closer to League 2 by this time so I'm surprised that 2018 hasn't been annus horribilis, even through its still a giant pain in the arse having Duchatelet as owner.
  • Options
    The year of treading water
  • Options
    I think 2018 has been a negative year for Charlton, despite the best efforts of Lee Bowyer and JJ, we are a top half league one team at best, a split fan base and no hope of progression until the limbo of an absent owner is resolved.

No amount of capital letter, exclamation marked rally calling can paper over that sadly.
  • Options
    It’s been a nagative year for Charlton on several fronts.

1) the fucker hasn’t sold
    2) the prospect of sale has killed most protests
    3) the club continues to depreciate in value as contracts of good players run off and good players are sold for less than market value

On the plus side Bowyer, JJ and the scouting team have done very well with naff all and we aren’t in as awful position as we could be.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Some results information for the last three calendar years (league games only, not including play-off semi-finals)

Year .... Played ..... Won .......... Drew ........ Lost ............ GF ..... GA ..... PTS

2018 ..... 47 ..... 23 (49%) ..... 8 (17%) ....... 16 (34% ) .... 67 ..... 50 ..... 77
    2017 ..... 46 ......17 (36%) ..... 14 (31%) ..... 15 (33%) ..... 62 ..... 58 ..... 65
    2016 ..... 46 ......12 (26%) ..... 17 (37%) ..... 17 (37%) ..... 48 ..... 64 ..... 53

2018 showed a few interesting trends when compared with previous calendar years;

* Charlton are still losing as many games as we always did, but recently by smaller margins.
    * In 2018 we have turned a lot of draws into wins, which makes a big difference to the points tally.
    * Our goal scoring ability has improved steadily.
    * Our defence has tightened up considerably as well.

There is measurable and undeniable progress being made on the pitch, added to which many fans seem to be generally happier with the way the team is playing under Lee Bowyer than it was under Robinson or Slade.

The trend suggests a 'top 4' play-off place finish this season rather than 5th or 6th, which could make a vital difference if Charlton end up playing Sunderland or Portsmouth for instance - though I think we are much less likely to have to face Sunderland or Pompey if we do finish 3rd or 4th, as should one of them fail to go up automatically I would expect them to finish above 5th place.

Play-off results are a lot about form on the day, injuries and other difficult-to-quantify factors, but the advantage of a home game in the second leg is definitely worth trying to achieve, regardless of the opponent.
    I would suggest that finishing this season in 3rd or 4th place should be regarded as a realistic target at this point.

An automatic place is not totally out of reach, but I think it would need a serious drop-off in form by two of the current top three teams to give Charlton a real chance of automatic promotion - as well as a terrific last 21 results for us. Not an impossible combination, but pretty unlikely.

5th or 6th place will keep the season alive of course, but with an increased possibility we may not have enough left to get past our play-off semi-final opponents for a chance of Wembley glory.
  • Options
    It was better than 2017, but that's a low bar.
  • Options
    When Roland was interested he was investing in his asset - stadium, training ground. Now he has admitted he’s selling and so not interested, that’s all stopped.

As for investment in the team to produce success on the field, he’s never been interested in that.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Having read all of the above posts
    Some by the way I agree with.
    But I have come to the conclusion that the best way to resolve our problem is.

Just sell the club and FUCK OFF

Forgettable, like the previous 4 years.

Just sell the club and f*** off you horrible man.
  • Options
    None!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Since 2014 it’s been the same shit, different year. But big respect to LB and JJ and the team that has got us to the top 6 at the end of 2018 considering the number of walking wounded currently on the treatment table. Imagine the possibilities with a fully fit squad to build on and compete in this and every other effing league without being hamstrung by he who shall not be named.
  • Options
    The only thing that matters between now and end of season is to give maximum support to those on the pitch.We have been slaughtered by injuries and players who perhaps are not ready will have to come in.FFS forget RD for once,he dosnt injure the players,he dont get suspended,he hasnt been recalled by his parent club.We have a great chance of top 6 which is testemant to the efforts of the playing staff and management,but our support is vital.