Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Josh Maja - Sunderland Striker

Has got 14 goals this season for the black cats, contract up at the end of the season,has been given a deadline of today to sign a new contract, which he has turned down apparently according to Sky Sports, will he play for Sunderland on Saturday?

http://www.blackcatchat.info/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8509&sid=6947010f884726fb5152916449f8cecc

Comments

• Born in Lewisham.
  • Born in Lewisham.

Fantastic!

Come home and join the party Josh!
  • edited January 2019
    A non story really. Just a player out of contract who has probably been tapped up by another club. What is the deadline? If he doesn't sign the contract, he will be shot? I suppose it is only relevant if Sunderland fans want to be stupid enough to make it so. I doubt there are any truly loyal footballers, and I can't blame them, it is a short career. He might be best staying with them, but they ought to support him as any other player who puts on the shirt until he stops doing so.

I was talking to a Liverpool fan in the pub yesterday about Gomez. I said I thought Liverpool were a bit naughty in the way they got Gomez from us, but I don't hold a grudge. They will be shafted by other clubs and we got a player like Taylor for free. All clubs shit on other clubs when they can so they shouldn't cry about it when it works against them.
  • I think his agent may have advised him against signing but ultimately the player will make the decision. Sometimes a short term financial gain may not be best in the long term. Ask Diego Poyet!
  • I think his agent may have advised him against signing but ultimately the player will make the decision. Sometimes a short term financial gain may not be best in the long term. Ask Diego Poyet!

Diego Poyet didnt sign cos he didnt want to be shipped off to Standard which was in his contract
  • Saw a tweet earlier saying he’d been offered substantial money as well
  • cabbles said:

Saw a tweet earlier saying he’d been offered substantial money as well

7 times his current money

So if currently on £1k a week he’s suddenly thinking he’s worth more than £7k a week after half a season.

Agent is playing a game or player has had head turned....

• Sponsored links:

• I would think he's on more than £1k a week....I know he's only 20 but I'd reckon at least double that.
  • I feel like it was just yesterday or two days ago that someone reported Prem clubs were keeping an eye on him. I can't imagine we'd be able to land him. He's young, he's English, and he scored goals. He's got to be worth 10m and 25k/week to a Premier League club
  • SDAddick said:

I feel like it was just yesterday or two days ago that someone reported Prem clubs were keeping an eye on him. I can't imagine we'd be able to land him. He's young, he's English, and he scored goals. He's got to be worth 10m and 25k/week to a Premier League club

Half a season in league one, no chance he’s a 10mill player
  • J BLOCK said:

SDAddick said:

I feel like it was just yesterday or two days ago that someone reported Prem clubs were keeping an eye on him. I can't imagine we'd be able to land him. He's young, he's English, and he scored goals. He's got to be worth 10m and 25k/week to a Premier League club

Half a season in league one, no chance he’s a 10mill player
    He would go for 5mil plus add ons IMO
  • SDAddick said:

I didn't read that tweet as we're interested, more that we're tracking the situation as Aribo has the same agent and is also out of contract at the end of the season.
  • I'm in a Chinese Sunderland supporters chat group and some of them are obviously furious. According to them, this Josh Maja has only had a good half season. It kind of reminds me of the Scott Parker deal but big difference is Parker had been playing well for much longer than a whole season correct?
  • I'm in a Chinese Sunderland supporters chat group and some of them are obviously furious. According to them, this Josh Maja has only had a good half season. It kind of reminds me of the Scott Parker deal but big difference is Parker had been playing well for much longer than a whole season correct?

I don't think the situation in comparable really, Parker had just signed a new contract in the summer, Maja's is about to run out, if Sunderland rated him that highly he would have been offered a contract before the season began, the club certainly have to take some of the responsibility here.
  • According to the Sunderland forum he's still on his first pro contract of just £600 a week and has been offered around 10 times that to stay. Decent money at league one level but no surprise his agent thinks he can get more than 6k a week elsewhere.
  • Football writer and Sunderland fan Jonathan Wilson said Spurs and Man City have shown interest. Fee of around £8million mentioned.
  • Sponsored links:

• If a striker is English and young then the price seems ridiculous - surprised Karlan hasn't got more interest.
  • If a striker is English and young then the price seems ridiculous - surprised Karlan hasn't got more interest.

Whats to say he wasnt the one we apparently rejected a £2m bid for the other week? - Would tie in with what Cabbles says about Strikers above
  • Swisdom said:

7 times his current money

So if currently on £1k a week he’s suddenly thinking he’s worth more than £7k a week

Thanks for explaining:-)
    It’s a pleasure

• Aparently Palace looking at him
  • If he’s been told by his agent not to sign then it’s definitely not because Charlton are interested.

Diego Poyet didnt sign cos he didnt want to be shipped off to Standard which was in his contract
    Can we please stop peddling that BS.

It’s a pathetic attempt to manipulate a conversation to ease his conscious about ruining his own career.
  • cabbles said:

This is one of the things that pisses me off about modern football. It’s so reactionary. Particularly with transfer fees for strikers who have one good season. He looks a real talent and is young, but I’ve seen so many strikers over the last few years smash out sometimes only 13/14 goals, all of a sudden you’re talking £10m plus and they’re on their way to a lower end prem or top end champ team

I understand the whole fee system and money in the game has changed, but an example would be the Jonathan Kodjia. One season for Bristol City where he got 19 goals, Villa spend £15m on him

This would’ve been the equivalent of Man City or QPR coming down from the prem in 96 and handing over £3/4m to us for David Whyte (RIP). Mental how all forwards seem to need to do now is get into the low teens for a season and they’re worth millions

In fairness Kodjia did well, scored about 19-20 goals for Villa but then he broke his ankle and then fucked it again not long after returning.

But when a place in the premier league is worth 100m, it's no surprise that a club will spend 10-15m on a striker who scores goals. And yes it's reactionary but for a reason. If a striker has a good season and is worth 10m then a club might take a gamble because if they don't buy him and he goes and scores a bundle of goals again the next season, the price will be 50-100% higher the following summer and he'll be going to a bigger club.

Can we please stop peddling that BS.

It’s a pathetic attempt to manipulate a conversation to ease his conscious about ruining his own career.
    or it might be true...
  • His agent has eyes of clubs higher than Charlton and Sunderland

Shame because I was impressed with his play and movement today