Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Darren Bent situation

Now I know Bent turned West ham down but im still undecided whether to be happy or sad about it, firstly I think the money West ham are offering for players is a joke and secondly is Bent even worth it?

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    personally i think west ham are obviously the only club free enought to match our asking price for the player, but it is evident that he would rather face a season in the championship than sign for west ham, which is definitely a more footballing decision than a financial one.

if this means that no other club can meet his valuation and so he agrees to stay and gives us a chance in the CCC i will be both stunned and delighted.

however, i, and others, suspect that it will eventually result in benty wanting to go to a tottenham or a liverpool that are going to offer £12 million plus wishywashy add-ons that do us no favours in comparison to the £16mil+ figure that we had agreed with your lot.

by this logic, if bent was definitely to go, i am disappointed with regards to the club's income that he has not signed for west ham but respect him greatly for choosing postion over the dollars - a rarity in the modern game.

as regards your points

1. yes west ham are paying silly money, but like chelsea, with your chairman there it almost doesn't matter as he seems quite happy to pay whatever

2. i don't believe he's worth the alleged fee, but it is bound to be inflated as a consequence of a) the interest in the player and b) our resolve not to sell our best player... noone can blame us for holding out as long as we can
  • Options
    But Bent leaving Charlton would surely be a great deal for you, you could sign some quality players for 16 million or whatever the price was.

Do you think Bent should have left for the benefit of Charlton?
  • Options
    my first worry is how much of the £16million will go back into the team, if bent were to stay then maybe the board would put their hands in their pockets and bail us out for their cock-ups last season as best they could, though with the money right there in front of them, it would be hard not to portion off a sizeable chunk of it towards last seasons failures

secondly, there is always the argument of attracting the requisite quality, £16million may sound a lot but would it be that easy to attract £16million's worth of talent to a championship club in need of a major refit?

thirdly, everyone knows you have a massive wedge burning a whole in your pocket and will take the mickey out of you over any signing you want to make as regards the price

answering your final question, no i don't. wherever bent ends up next season, he's earnt his right to pick and choose with his effort, loyalty, unasuming manner and his achievements for the club. i wouldn't begrudge him any move on the planet as i think he has to look after number one and he can be viewed in nothing but an admirable light. the benefit for charlton is promotion next season and i believe that will be considerably easier with bent, than scrambling around trying to throw the income at players to replace him.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I Don't think with the present money coming into football that Darren bent is OVERPRICED,Drogba for 24mill was a waste of money,he's rubbish...? benty has been scoring on a regular basis and he's still very young,he's also been a top English premier league scorer,players don't leave for the benefit of a club but to better themselves.
  • Options
    If I'm honest 16 million is way over the top for Bent, don't get me wrong I think he's brilliant, scores all types of goals, works hard and seems to be a half decent bloke. I also think he and Ashton would be a formidable strike force in the Premiership. Not sure why he turned West Ham down but seems likely he wants a move to Spurs. At the end of the day does he owe us anything, I don't think so. We've benifitted from his time here (would have been a lot worse without him) I've enjoyed watching him. It'll be a shame financially for us if we now sell him for about 12 million which seems likely, and in reality is probably a more accurate valuation, but without West ham chucking money around like Leeds did a few years ago, no-one would be talking 16 million for a player with virtually no international experience and zero European experience. Good luck to him, he seems to want to make the right move and not just chase the largest offer, it's a shame West Ham are going to attract players more interested in money than playing for them. Maybe it'll work out for them or maybe they will end up like Leeds. Personally I hope not, got no problem with them, although still a bit miffed about Tevez!!!
  • Options
    Good strikers/goal scorers are hard to come by,Bent is worth every penny,maybe he'll go to Arsenal when they sell Henry?
  • Options
    It's a strange situation in this day and age - when we've got used to money grubbing players chasing the £ signs in preference to putting the best interests of their career first. It's a short career and most players would have been factory fodder otherwise, so you can get some insight in where their priorities lie.

Top marks to Benty for his decision.
    He's got 3 years left on his contract and he isn't sounding desperate to move.

If he is prepared to stay at Charlton for a while - fantastic.
    If he gets his dream move, then thats nothing less than he deserves.

Whether Charlton get £16 million for him or 'only' £12 million - well, that's the way the cookie crumbles.
    If he stays and we get promoted first time - then that's worth a minimum of £30 million.

We'll know what the best outcome is or would have been.....next May.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Hackney_hammer[/cite]Now I know Bent turned West ham down but im still undecided whether to be happy or sad about it, firstly I think the money West ham are offering for players is a joke and secondly is Bent even worth it?

What do you guys think?

I think something is worth what someone is prepared to pay.

With Darren, who ever gets him will get a proven striker who has done very well with fairly poor service and It's up to them what they pay, as long as it meets our valuation.

Oh- and from all accounts, they will get a great player without the "I'm a premiership footballer" baggage that goes with it
  • Options
    He's worth every penny, we're underselling him for 12million, no one seems to have grasped it. Including the media!

A strikers job is to stick the ball in the back of the net. Simple as, over the past two seasons *NO PLAYER HAS SCORED MORE LEAGUE GOALS THAN BENT*... which makes him incredibly valuable. While he might not have european experience like the likes Drogba, Berbatov, Rooney, Owen etc. and perhaps doesn't offer as much around the pitch, he's as good as anybody else in the division as scoring against English sides. Thats a fact.

The price question is a case of Simple economics - The amount of quality goal scorers in the division is tiny while demand is huge thus big prices.Some of the fees for striker in recent years have been huge - Rebrov for £11million, El Haj Deuf for £10million, Alan Smith for £7million, Drogba £24m, Shevchenko £30m, Heskey £6m, Johnson £8m. As for values being touted around now Johnson £13m, Defoe £12m, Nugent £7m with that in mind is it unreasonable to expect £16m for Bent? Everyone talks up Berbatov as being worth £40million... he scored the same amount of league goals as Bent last season.

The premiership is the bread and butter, it's as profitable as the Champions league and winning it is still a huge thing. Spurs are desperate to become a Champions league side, Chelsea need to win back the title, Liverpool are desperate to seriously Challange for the title, Man Utd need to compete on two fronts this year, West Ham are desperate to challange in the top 6. Arsenal need to maintain 5th place. Someone who can get you 15-20 goals is going to go a long way to helping these sides and their acheivements. Is £16m a lot compared to the money in qualifying for the Champions league every year?

Sure Torres and Villa might have scored more European and International goals fancy gambling £25million on them and the chance they won't adapt? Maybe you might persued a 30 year old Frenchman with dodgy hamstrings to join you for £20million, and see if you can get another couple of seasons out of him although you might have to change the way you play. The other option would be to pay £16mil for a young English Striker who has scored more goals in England than any other player in the past 2 years? Doesn't actually seem much of a gamble when it's put like that does it?
  • Options
    Exactly T, Peeps and the media are missing the point, he can become an even better player, and if we sell him on the cheap and goes on to get better then everyone will be telling us "told you so"
    Nugent to sunderland for 6 million and unproven in the prem, no debate, let's wait sand see?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The board may have made a few mistakes this season but they won't accept 16 million in June for Dazza and 8 weeks down the line accept 4 MILLION less. Darren Bent has a price put on hes head and he knows that the club aren't going to accept less than thier valuation.

The most likely outcome is that spurs will end up bidding 13/14 million with two players whos value is equal to 3 million ie Murphy and Gardner. If Liverpool want him I feel it will be a £15 million bid upfront which the club would probably accept as rejecting a bid from Liverpool will lead to an unhappy darren bent.

There is no way Bent will leave charlton for an overall value less than £15 million pound.

And if Juan Pablo Angel was bought for 11 million quid by Aston Villa then Bent is definately worth £16 million!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: tom_cafc[/cite]And if Juan Pablo Angel was bought for 11 million quid by Aston Villa then Bent is definately worth £16 million![/quote]

Then there is Carrick. A quiet centre midfielder who seems to do f all and somehow gets signed up for 18mil? That makes Benty worth 20mil IMO.