Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views: Charlton v Sunderland : 5th January 2019

Comments

• Options
    https://www.questod.co.uk/show/efl-on-quest/video/efl-on-quest-050119/EHD_224105C

The Quest show is available on line. Well worth it this week as proper highlights, and interviews with Jacko and Bowyer
  • Options
    Thinking back now on yesterday, I never thought we were going to lose during the second half because we were so dominant, (except right at the death with their corner, maybe).

This was a really unusual feeling. The diamond worked really well second half and we kept a great shape. Had Fosu's decision making been better we would have won.

Most significantly, the Sunderland fans and players thought we were good. Other teams will fear playing us and once we have the fullback situation sorted we stand a good chance of automatic promotion.
  • Options
    Nug said:

NM18 said:

Still think we need an experienced keeper. Not sure why Dillon kept playing out from the back in 1st half as it didn't work but is footwork has always been poor which is why we had Jed.

It’s a good way to keep possession when you’re losing. Long goal kicks can go straight to opposition for another attack.

Admittedly it’s not entertaining to watch as a fan, but have to dig deep sometimes, and it certainly helped us to go in only 1 down
    Totally agree, couldn’t understand the screaming to lump it forward, every time they had the ball first 25 mins I thought they’d score, it slowed the game down and allowed us to get back into it. Also surely Phillips is doing what Bowyer tells him and his hardly gonna go long if his manager has asked him to play it out.
    And yet when we started sending balls forward for Taylor and Grant to chase in the second half it became almost one way traffic in out favour.

Playing along the back to keep possession only draws the opposition forward and closes down any space for manoeuvre. Its ok if we have the likes of Reeves and/or Cullen in midfield who can receive the ball and then do something with it but for most of the game we had nobody in mudfirld that could be the playmaker and we were relying upon Sarr to call the tune.
  • Options
    Was it only me that thought that Solly and Djiksteel were playing way too far up the pitch in the first half and it ended up more like Bielik in the middle of a back three.

Solly is not a left winger. I don’t really like seeing him on the left at all
  • Options
    So ...... Anybody still disagree with Lord Bowyer's tactics in the FA Cup ??
  • Options

Thoroughly enjoyed today's match.

After the first 35 mins or so, it felt like we had OUR Charlton back.

Thought everyone played their part, albeit after a sluggish start but special plaudits must go to Bielik , the Nabster and , as always, our Lyle.

Great to see all the happy Addicks making their way out of The Valley, smiling & to hear their excited , positive chatter.

Sadly, there was one negative that I feel I have to mention.

Having a nice drink with our gang pre match, when a young lady approached me, bent down and asked " Are you Grant's Grandmother ?"

My initial reaction was to ask "Grant who" before realising I don't have a grandson by that name.

To which she replied " Grant Basey".

I answered in the negative so she went away saying " I know she's here somewhere!"

Now, I'd like all my Lifer pals to be honest in their response although my Xmas card list is close at hand.....

Hand on heart, do I look as though I have a 30 year old grandson , which would make me possibly around 80 ?

Or, could this have been a dare .....

( Mr F advises everyone to think very carefully before posting their thoughts....)

:neutral:

You look well for 80 Fanny
  • Options

Thoroughly enjoyed today's match.

After the first 35 mins or so, it felt like we had OUR Charlton back.

Thought everyone played their part, albeit after a sluggish start but special plaudits must go to Bielik , the Nabster and , as always, our Lyle.

Great to see all the happy Addicks making their way out of The Valley, smiling & to hear their excited , positive chatter.

Sadly, there was one negative that I feel I have to mention.

Having a nice drink with our gang pre match, when a young lady approached me, bent down and asked " Are you Grant's Grandmother ?"

My initial reaction was to ask "Grant who" before realising I don't have a grandson by that name.

To which she replied " Grant Basey".

I answered in the negative so she went away saying " I know she's here somewhere!"

Now, I'd like all my Lifer pals to be honest in their response although my Xmas card list is close at hand.....

Hand on heart, do I look as though I have a 30 year old grandson , which would make me possibly around 80 ?

Or, could this have been a dare .....

( Mr F advises everyone to think very carefully before posting their thoughts....)

:neutral:

You could be 62 and have a 30 year old grandson but even that is older than you actually are :smile:

• Sponsored links:

• Options

another aside .. Colin Murray was at the game today and someone mentioned that Jim White was also there .. this of course is adding credence to the (whisper it) imminent take over rumours .. also, on my part, it was very nice to shake the hand and have very brief chat with the admirable Paul Mortimer, still a fine figure of a man, even if he is a much bigger man (rather like myself) than used to was ((:>)

Heard on Georgie Bingham show on Saturday morning, her co-host Tony Cascarino was also going to the game
  • Options
    We've also managed more than our fair share of injuries in matches and training since the Cup game. Just sent all the wrong messages to both the squad and the fans. Missed not being part of FAC Third Round Day, however enjoyable yesterday was.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Portsmouth beat Norwich yesterday, shall we see where they finish?
  • Options

Yes 100% I do we shouldve been playing in the 3rd yesterday
    Actually we'd probably be playing at the moment as its currently Preston 1-1 Doncaster
  • Options

And please do not allow KAG to take free kicks with chances to score. Getting too Billy Big Bollxx.

We don't have a KAG. Billy Big Bollxxes hyphenate their surnames, not de-hyphenate them.
    He also used to take, and score, a lot of free kicks for the youth teams. Not billy big bollox at all to put himself forward to take the free kicks - think he’s taken 2 in total this season so hardly a disaster that he hasn’t scored yet and the other option yesterday was Fosu who doesn’t have much pedigree either.
  • Options
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB3?saison_id=2018&min=18&max=27

Just having a look at the form guide for the league, in our last 10 we have won 6 lost 3 and drawn 1. We are currently sit in 4th for the teams in form, sitting behind Luton, Pompey and Doncaster. The big concern is Doncaster, I thought they would fade but they seem to be on a Plymouth like run from last season and at the rate they are going could end up in the play offs comfortably.

Peterborough away is a massive, massive game, we could seriously knock them back with a win similar to the win against Plymouth last season although not as late on as that was in the season obviously

• Options

Yes, totally. what has yesterdays game got to do with that?
    Doncaster beat Preston in 3rd round - i wonder who they'll get in 4th.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    l="The_President">great game - draw fair result.

a couple of other things about Naby...

1) if only he'd got a bit more purchase on that back header - if only.
    2) His ability to simply come away with the ball when chasing down the channels with a forward after him.He just chases it down, controls the ball, turns around and comes away with the ball as if noone is opposing him, whereas most other defenders would have looked for Row Z.
    Becoming real cult status.

Offside flag already up before Nabs had touched it
  • Options
    Do agree though, very comfortable on the ball.
  • Options
    cblock said:

l="The_President">great game - draw fair result.

a couple of other things about Naby...

1) if only he'd got a bit more purchase on that back header - if only.
    2) His ability to simply come away with the ball when chasing down the channels with a forward after him.He just chases it down, controls the ball, turns around and comes away with the ball as if noone is opposing him, whereas most other defenders would have looked for Row Z.
    Becoming real cult status.

Offside flag already up before Nabs had touched it

Couldnt have been the one i was thinking of, cos he was a good 5 yards behind the guy chasing the channel ball, and he didnt take a free-kick.
  • Options
    Not seen it non live,I just spotted the crap lino in the east with his flag up straight away from behind the goal, would be more pissed off if that was wrong.
  • Options
    I sometimes think that when Naby gets the ball in clean possession in space about a quarter/third of the way upfield, instead of an often short precise pass, or a hit and miss long range Beckenbauer effort, that Naby should surge forward with the ball.
    Belik can fill in if that happens, and Naby in full trundle would be a) a great sight and b) difficult to stop.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    cabbles said:

RedChaser said:

cabbles said:

Just arrived back in Norfolk (did I beat you back Briston).
    My thoughts on the game.
    The crowd fantastic, even when we were one down.
    Maybe the prospect of seeing the back of Roland has given us all a lift.
    The team. Dillon was o.k. not sure he fills me with a lot confidence, but having a run of games he will improve.
    Dijksteel improved after a shaky start and Solly was, well Solly.
    Bauer looked strong while his C.B. mate Sarr was outstanding.
    His tackle to rob the Sunderland forward as he was breaking through was immense, he came out with the ball and joined the attack.
    He can certainly hit a good cross field pass.
    Enjoyed Morgan in midfield. He justified his place in the starting eleven.
    Fosu excites and frustrates as does Bielik.
    Bielik has tons of ability and reads the game well for a 22 year old but some times dwells on the ball and gets caught in possession.
    Pratley was busy without being spectacular.
    On another day Karlan would have scored but where has his fellow striking partner Taylor been hiding for recent years.
    Sunderland found him unplayable at times. As another poster said - probably our best striker since Kermorgant.
    Nice little cameo from Williams, he will prove to be a useful asset to the squad
    Overall the second half performance (forget the first half when we could have been a couple of goals down) was as good as any I've seen for a long time.

Were you on a dj coach by any chance?
    The DJ coach?
    Valley Away supporters coach(es) goes all round South East London and Kent border for a couple of hours picking up before leaving Charlton :wink: .
    Errr no.
    Just having a poke at how long the coach service takes :smiley:
    @cabbles And some fell on stoney ground. I was on board :wink:
  • Options

;

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB3?saison_id=2018&min=18&max=27

Just having a look at the form guide for the league, in our last 10 we have won 6 lost 3 and drawn 1. We are currently sit in 4th for the teams in form, sitting behind Luton, Pompey and Doncaster. The big concern is Doncaster, I thought they would fade but they seem to be on a Plymouth like run from last season and at the rate they are going could end up in the play offs comfortably.

Peterborough away is a massive, massive game, we could seriously knock them back with a win similar to the win against Plymouth last season although not as late on as that was in the season obviously

I shouldn't be too scared of Doncaster; They're a decent team and work hard for each other, but I'd be surprised if they finish the season higher placed than they are now.

Since they beat our stiffs in the Cup, their run has been playing Bristol Rovers, Scunthorpe, Oxford, Fleetwood, Gillingham and a Rochdale side that's now getting beaten by everybody.

Okay, you can only beat what's in front of you and they've been doing that, despite losing 3-0 to Fleetwood over Christmas.
    But they've not had any promotion rivals to face for quite a while.

Anyway, our rivals all have to play each other - lot's of dog-eat-dog matches, loss of form, injuries and suspensions to take into account and they will all drop points.

Really, it's about what Charlton can do; can we can put consistant winning runs together?
    It's in our own hands entirely, and I shouldn't worry too much about the others at this stage.
  • Options
    I didn’t think he had a decent game, he was slow, missed a few passes and the header should have gone in.