Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Assists at Shrewsbury

need the views of those of you that have watched the goal highlights

Goal 1: should the assist go to Morgan who took the corner or did Grant head on from the near post?
Goal 3: For a penalty I usually give it to the player that won the pen, in this case Grant, or should it go to Sarr who put in that lovely pass that sent Grant on his way.

Comments

• I would say Morgan for the first as I think the flick was off a shrews head. No assist for the second because Karlan won it and took it.
  • There were two headers for the first goal. The 2nd was a shrew, not sure about the first flick on at the near post.

Grant should get the assist for winning the pen if that is the way you have done it before. Who takes the pen is irrelevant in that decision IMO
  • I would say Morgan for the first as I think the flick was off a shrews head.

Morgan took the corner but it was Shrewsbury defender Waterfall who headed against his own post, before Taylor knocked the rebound in.

• it is Grant at the near post who goes up to head the ball for the first goal. Not clear if he flicks it on or the defender.
  • There is no way on God's earth Sarr can get the assist for the Pen
  • Lovely as Sarr's ball was, assist for third to grant for me.

On the first, I think Morgan. I watched it back a few times and I can't tell if Grant gets anything on it. The commentators thought it came off a Shrews head. It's a great ball in from Morgan so can't begrudge it to him if he ends up with the assist.
  • If the player who scored the goal also set it up they don't get the assist. Hence why goals scored after a decent run for example on have the scorer and no assist stat.

Or that's the way I thought it worked. Just how far does the scorer need ti take the ball before an assist is not added?

Pens should never get an assist in my eyes
  • I don’t think you can/should be able to get credit for assist for a goal you scored. You should never get an assist for winning a penalty.
  • Regarding Taylor's goal @lancashire lad it was at the opposite end to us so unless Superman was in our crowd with his x-ray vision I'd say it was almost impossible to say who got the first contact, if any, on Morgan's corner. From the TV replays however a defender, after it had cleared players at the near post, heads the ball onto the far post before it comes back to Taylor to score. So for me, no assist.

Regarding the penalty Grant created it for himself, I don't see how it can be an 'assist' in the truest sense of the word.

Just my take on it and hope it helps.
  • Sponsored links:

• thanks for your views, from what you have all said it will be:
    1st: Morgan
    3rd: Grant because I have always given an assist to the player who draws the foul for the penalty, I know it isn't the official way but it is mine :smile:
  • RedChaser said:

Regarding the penalty Grant created it for himself, I don't see how it can be an 'assist' in the truest sense of the word.

Although if Taylor had taken the penalty and scored, Grant would get the assist?

In any case the referee has stopped the game after awarding the penalty kick.
    The penalty kick restarts the game.

Therefore 2 separate passages of play.

Oh, I dunno. I'm going to put the kettle on! :smile: