Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Great speeches and our politics threads

Could the mods now consider allowing political topics back in the main board? It seems proposterous not to, especially while the mainstream news is full of it. I have just popped in to the house of commoners group and, quite weirdly, the Brexit thread there is dominated by remainers. That's imbalanced isn't it. It means for one think the leavers may have missed out on charltonmadrid's posting of David Lammy's recent speech. If leavers can't be bothered to find their way to the segregated area known as the house of commoners, they are more likely to remain in ignorant bliss, and that can't be good for them, their long term propsects or the health of the nation. Can't this artificial split of the main site be reconsidered?

Comments

• Options
    The majority on here are remainers and that is reflected within the thread.
  • Options
    CL has been better since the exile, but I must admit to not being able to tell if the original post is a joke.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Its generally the same 10-20 people going round in circles....leave it where it is......

Just like the takeover thread,then.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Its generally the same 10-20 people going round in circles....leave it where it is......

Typical Tory
  • Options
    Leave it where it is. Much better.
  • Options
    Gotta say, I love the politics threads, I find them interesting and informative but They are nuch better off where they are, this is, after all, a football forum.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think *where* the threads are is as important as how they work. It would be great if quoting - for example - could be implemented.

Brexit is the most important topic this week, this month and this year. That doesn't mean it needs to be on the front page of this football forum. But there are sufficient people who take enough of an interest in it to mean that it should be afforded the same level of debating opportunities as elsewhere in the forum, even if it's right that it's hidden from those who'd rather not seek it out.

In short, can we have quoting working fully please?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

I don't think *where* the threads are is as important as how they work. It would be great if quoting - for example - could be implemented.

Brexit is the most important topic this week, this month and this year. That doesn't mean it needs to be on the front page of this football forum. But there are sufficient people who take enough of an interest in it to mean that it should be afforded the same level of debating opportunities as elsewhere in the forum, even if it's right that it's hidden from those who'd rather not seek it out.

We are still trying to sort the quoting on them
  • Options
    I preferred it when the politics threads had a wider group of contributors. I don’t remember to read them anywhere near as often,

That said, I wouldn’t go back. Friday and Saturday nights became an pissed up insult fest and that seems to have reduced a lot since the threads aren’t there in the face of those of us who may have had a few sherberts.

So while I think it’s a shame that some significant issues aren’t going to be discussed by or often brought to the attention of a wider audience, I think it’s a decent solution.
  • Options

Leave it where it is. Much better.

How is it better? When it was on the main forum did you feel obliged to open it? I don’t open 90% of threads because I can tell from the title I have no interest. I don’t whinge endlessly that these threads should be moved away from the main forum.

I am not advocating that the thread should be moved back to the main forum. Just struggling to understand how moving it away from front page improves the forum for those people who, I assume, had no interest in it and presumably never opened it.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Chizz said:

Time to close this thread.
  • Options
    Before this thread gets canned, can I just say how much I enjoy listening to the oration of Geoffrey Cox the Attorney General. Adds a little bit of theatre to some pretty dreary proceedings!
  • Options
    Leave it where it deserves to be, away from everything thats remotely entertaining and interesting.
  • Options
    More importantly, can we have the would ya threads back?
  • Options

More importantly, can we have the would ya threads back?

Whose rack, too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Could the mods now consider allowing political topics back in the main board? It seems proposterous not to, especially while the mainstream news is full of it. I have just popped in to the house of commoners group and, quite weirdly, the Brexit thread there is dominated by remainers. That's imbalanced isn't it. It means for one think the leavers may have missed out on charltonmadrid's posting of David Lammy's recent speech. If leavers can't be bothered to find their way to the segregated area known as the house of commoners, they are more likely to remain in ignorant bliss, and that can't be good for them, their long term propsects or the health of the nation. Can't this artificial split of the main site be reconsidered?

Do you really believe that unless someone reads the Brexit thread on here, they will not be aware of what is going on!?!
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Chizz said:

@i_b_b_o_r_g would have sorted it out by now...or at least looked into it further.....!
  • Options
    Greenie said:

cabbles said:

Chizz said:

@i_b_b_o_r_g would have sorted it out by now...or at least looked into it further.....!
    #saynotocobls
  • Options

I bet he's thinking "where's Rebecca Loos when I need her"
  • Options
    It's a shame I can't find the Brexit thread as I now have a perfect solution to the Irish border problem.

Unfortunately I can't now tell you what it is.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Do you really believe that unless someone reads the Brexit thread on here, they will not be aware of what is going on!?!
    Unaware of what other parts of the charltonlife football community think, yes.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

cabbles said:

Chizz said:

Can't get the staff mate
  • Options

I bet he's thinking "where's Rebecca Loos when I need her"
    Competition for NLA ?
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I still like the idea of bringing them back into the main area and then giving posters the option to hide threads by category. That way they can be there for people who like them and not there for the people who hate them.

Solves the need to find a solution for quoting as well... just saying mods. ;-)
  • Options
    Without checking I reckon the only people on the Brexit thread are pretty much all remainers.
    So I doubt there is much arguing or flags getting thrown about.
    Makes life much easier for the mods to regulate and let's face it running a site this size must be time consuming.

Leave it where it is.