Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who's doing dry January?

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Chunes said:

bobmunro said:

Couple of pints at the Shrewsbury game, and likely a couple more at Peterborough.

That's it in January - and I've lost 12lbs (not eating much either!!).

You've lost 12lbs in 21 days? Bloody hell.
    Depends what your starting weight is, of course. I usually lose about half that but I'm starting from around 11 stone. Not to sound smug. I am sure Bob is also a lot taller than me, it isn't difficult.

Starting at 16st - and I'm 7'6" tall!
    Me too... Laying down.
  • Options
    For someone who does not drink,I find it amusing at all these posts.
  • Options

Stopped drinking red wine and beer since 2nd January. Have one pre-mixed can of G&T an evening, the rest is low-calorie lemon flavoured tonic water (about 1 litre a day). Feel better all round, sleep better and hence may carry-on through Feb. Total units a week is 9.1.

Red be careful of the aspartame in the low calorie tonic water. Stuffs lethal. Especially as you’re drinking a litre a day.
    Why not just mix lemon/lime with sparkling water instead?
    X
  • Options
    Not for me. I often go a week or 2 without a drink, as I rarely drink at home so don’t actually booze that much now.

Having said that, I enjoyed having a few throughout the day at Charlton on Saturday.
  • Options

I'm only drinking on dates that are divisible by 2, by 3 or by 5 that aren't prime numbers

so only the 2nd then
  • Options

Stopped drinking red wine and beer since 2nd January. Have one pre-mixed can of G&T an evening, the rest is low-calorie lemon flavoured tonic water (about 1 litre a day). Feel better all round, sleep better and hence may carry-on through Feb. Total units a week is 9.1.

Red be careful of the aspartame in the low calorie tonic water. Stuffs lethal. Especially as you’re drinking a litre a day.
    X
    Thanks for the advice @KBslittlesis , I'll look for an alternative.
  • Options
    Dry Jan - December, started about 6 years ago, only had a couple of glasses during that time, usually at a funeral!
  • Options

I'm dryish this month, only drinking when out in the evening which effectively means I'm drinking once a week

Painful watching MOTD without a drink, especially when Palace are losing!

The annoying is that although I've been drinking less this month, because I've been under the weather I haven't been to the gym for 3 weeks - first visit today - hence I've actually put on weight during my dryish month!
  • Options
    It's one thing stopping drinking if you normally drink on the way home from work.on the train or indoors, it's totally different abandoning your local for a month in their leanest time of year. And then moaning without irony about pubs closing

I'm really disappointed at the amount of people I know doing this.

Not going out for a Monday club is going to have no discernable benefit to your health and if you are boozing that much that a month makes you feel markedly better then good on you, and I say that without hint of sarcasm.or anything else malicious.

If you are going to take part in a fad do it, but don't moan about the lack of pubs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Damp Jan for me as drank on 4th and doing so again on 31st, but nothing in between.

Toying with rolling it into Feb as I have the last two years but not sure I will this time around.
  • Options
    Yup
    And been ill every day with cough,bad chest and flu!!
  • Options
    I’ve friend to drink twice as much in January in the local pub as normal but it’s nearly killed me :frowning:
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:

For someone who does not drink,I find it amusing at all these posts.

How is the heroin going?
  • Options
    Golden
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Carter said:

It's one thing stopping drinking if you normally drink on the way home from work.on the train or indoors, it's totally different abandoning your local for a month in their leanest time of year. And then moaning without irony about pubs closing

Not going out for a Monday club is going to have no discernible benefit to your health and if you are boozing that much that a month makes you feel markedly better then good on you, and I say that without hint of sarcasm.or anything else malicious.

If you are going to take part in a fad do it, but don't moan about the lack of pubs

We are just going through our 5th Dry January at The Long Pond, yes it is quieter but January is the quietest month, I speak to a lot of other local Landlords and many say this January is very quiet. One ( a very popular proper local boozer) told me he had no one in at all last Sunday night after 7pm. People are depressed, skint and on fitness campaigns which don't necessarily mean they are totally dry. Weekends are holding up for us though, Friday night and Saturday and Sunday lunchtimes very busy and the odd lively mid-week night.
    Pubs don't close down due to Dry January.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Riviera said:

Carter said:

Not going out for a Monday club is going to have no discernible benefit to your health and if you are boozing that much that a month makes you feel markedly better then good on you, and I say that without hint of sarcasm.or anything else malicious.

We are just going through our 5th Dry January at The Long Pond, yes it is quieter but January is the quietest month, I speak to a lot of other local Landlords and many say this January is very quiet. One ( a very popular proper local boozer) told me he had no one in at all last Sunday night after 7pm. People are depressed, skint and on fitness campaigns which don't necessarily mean they are totally dry. Weekends are holding up for us though, Friday night and Saturday and Sunday lunchtimes very busy and the odd lively mid-week night.
    That settles it then. Not too late to join us @Carter

• Options

X
    In what way is Aspartame lethal? I'm type 2 diabetic and have been using this for over 20 years. I have regular check up and blood test show that my liver and kidney function are ok.

There are just as many articles warning about Aspartame as there are saying its ok.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/aspartame-facts/

• Options
    Yes, doing dry January here. Also have the app. Sleeping better, saving the money (putting it aside each night) and losing weight. Trying to get below 12 stone and also trying to get my blood pressure down (which was in the pre-high stage before doing this.) Blood pressure is coming down so all good so far.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I used to stock up, especially when there was an offer for Bells at £15 a litre, it made perfect economic sense. However, about a year back I realised that it was a false economy as I would guzzle it back like the weak willed idiot that I am. Nowadays the Raith booze cupboard is a rather empty space. Although I never really suffered crushing hangovers, I did used to wake with a general muzziness, which I hated, especially as a morning person that I consider I am.

I do feel a bit better for it - nothing spectacular - but (I know I can say this on CL as no subject is taboo) number twos are a lot easier, I have even started to experience the wipe and away effect. A joy to behold!
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Carter said:

I know they don't, it doesn't help though does it, by its nature of encouraging people to not drink it is daft. Anyone who normally drinks moderately who takes part in abstinence will go crazy when February arrives. One of the reasons your place is open and others like it, is because of the amount of proper pubs that have closed. I love micropubs by the way, although I've driven past your place loads I've never been in on a count of having the car and a lack of willpower to just have one drink.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Riviera said:

Carter said:

I know they don't, it doesn't help though does it, by its nature of encouraging people to not drink it is daft. Anyone who normally drinks moderately who takes part in abstinence will go crazy when February arrives. One of the reasons your place is open and others like it, is because of the amount of proper pubs that have closed. I love micropubs by the way, although I've driven past your place loads I've never been in on a count of having the car and a lack of willpower to just have one drink.
    They've done studies that show people who don't drink in January effectively "reset" their relationship with alcohol and drink less throughout the year.

You also don't need to be a raging alcoholic to have health benefits from not drinking for a month. Weight loss (as seen in this thread), decrease in blood pressure, improvement in diabetes risk, large decreases in blood factors that point to cancer risk. Just from a month off.

• Options
    Dry January is nothing new. Many City bankers and brokers were doing it over 30 years ago after overindulging at Christmas. Not many made it through though, me included. Just another thing that has reached millions due to social media.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

X
    In what way is Aspartame lethal? I'm type 2 diabetic and have been using this for over 20 years. I have regular check up and blood test show that my liver and kidney function are ok.

There are just as many articles warning about Aspartame as there are saying its ok.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/aspartame-facts/

I’m amazed you’re happy to consume this being type 2.
    It’s known that aspartame interferes with your ability to know when you’re full, which in some cases can lead to overeating.
    It’s also linked to many side affects if consumed in large quantities (headaches, dizziness, sleep deprivation, depression)
    It’s in so many products that it doesn’t need to be in, just like natural sugar.
    If you’re happy to consume it, that’s your decision.
    My belief, it’s unnatural just like margarine, and therefore I won’t touch it.
    Especially as I have Lymes.
  • Options
    See the link I posted, NHS has no issues with it. When first diagnosed I was advised to use sweeteners.

I've had none of the side effects you mention, maybe I don't consume large quantities?

Everyone is different, some people have no issues with it but some do.

• Options
    I have managed to have a dry January.

I have made sure I have an umbrella wherever I go.
  • Options

I have managed to have a dry January.

I have made sure I have an umbrella wherever I go.

Terrible
  • Options
    I've noticed that as I've got older, hangovers had started getting a lot worse. Even drinking 4 or 5 pints would really affect me the next day.
    It got to a point about a year ago where I realised that the enjoyment that I got from drinking didn't compensate for the shitty feeling the next day.

I haven't abstained completely and still have a couple of pints every few weeks, but don't see myself going on a binge or getting drunk ever again.
    I was in pretty good health anyway so haven't noticed any additional health benefits whatsoever, apart from waking up feeling "normal" every morning now.