Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fly-Past for Tony

Whilst war memorials are being vandalised in London,a great moving story from Sheffield
A fly-past to mark the anniversary of a fatal plane crash in a Sheffield park will take place after a campaign led by BBC Breakfast presenter Dan Walker.

The US bomber - a B-17 Flying Fortress known as Mi Amigo - came down in Endcliffe Park, Sheffield, in 1944 killing all 10 airmen on board.

The campaign began after Mr Walker met Tony Foulds, who witnessed the crash and regularly tends to the memorial.

The US Air Force will carry out a fly-past on the anniversary on 22 February.

Crews will set off in an F-15 fighter jet from RAF Lakenheath in Suffolk, home to the largest US Air Force camp in the UK.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-46958696

Comments

• Well done Dan and Tony.
  • Saw that this morning......it’s a lovely story.
  • Watched this on BBC Breakfast this morning and (probably something to with my age) just about kept a 'stiff upper lip'! Wonderful story and an amazing man. So yes, well done Dan and especially Tony. Would be nice if the B-17 at Duxford could take part but this time of year the weather could prove crucial.
  • It's unlikely that the B17 would be available as they normally do routine maintenance work on her during the winter period.
  • Thousands of people are gathering ahead of a fly-past honouring 10 airmen who died when their plane crashed in a Sheffield park 75 years ago.

The US bomber - a B-17 Flying Fortress known as Mi Amigo - came down in Endcliffe Park on 22 February 1944, killing everyone on board.

A campaign for a fly-past started after a chance meeting between BBC Breakfast presenter Dan Walker and Tony Foulds.

Mr Foulds, 82, witnessed the crash and regularly tends to the park's memorial.

The fly-past, involving military aircraft from Britain and the United States, is due to reach the park at about 08:45 GMT.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-47323045

• wow - choked up
  • What a bloke. Totally heartwarming.
  • What a marvellous story. Such dedication has my full admiration.
  • Been following this story since Dan Walker first dropped on Tony. Well done Dan for bringing the story to the masses and getting the flyby possible but what a bloke that Tony is, an absolute totally decent human being. His interviews over the last month or two have brought a tear to my eye each time.
  • Done me when he started waving. What a man.
  • Sponsored links:

• Amazing story, really emotional.
  • Such a positive remembrance and example of respect, not just for the airmen but also for Tony and his years of dedication. Emotional watching this today. 

Contrast this to where I live in Bexhill where over night the WW1 Tommy statue was vandalised beyond repair and removed by RBL. Emotional in a very different way. 

RIP to the crew of Mi Amigo and thank you Tony Foulds. 
  • Just caught up with the scenes on the news tonight. Really touching to hear from Tony about what it meant to him. So sad to hear his response to the interviewer about whether the huge turnout helped. He’s obviously carried a huge weight all his life feeling that the crew may have survived if he hadn’t been in the field.  He’s truly honoured them all his life.
  • Great story in a sea of insipid mind numbingly ground hog day news bollocks!
  • Well done to all.