Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cheltenham Festival 2019

Comments

• Options
    In hindsight, I probably tried to get a bit too cute there in my opposition of Tiger Roll. Thought he’d gone too short while Delta Work was the value favourite today but Tiger Roll fully justified the price.

Scarily good horse...
  • Options

• Options
    bobmunro said:

How hard did people hit the Altior/Tiger Roll double then?!
  • Options
    Tiger Roll. What a horse.  Beers are on me!!!

I have just come back from a meeting.  I take it we are still doing well? lol
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    You've already made this point.

Revelling in a horses death. Really strange behaviour.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    bobmunro said:

How hard did people hit the Altior/Tiger Roll double then?!

Hard enough - but at only just over 2/1 for the double it doesn't sting too much!

Nice to give some of it back (seriously!).

• Options

Eighteen started. Four finished. More fallers than finishers.
    One dead (thankfully one only).
    A jockey apparently disobeying the instructions of a vet.
    Three others 'riding on' on overly-tired horses. 
    And another jockey who left the course and couldn't be interviewed. 

Time for yet another review by the 'Be seen to be doing something' BHA, perhaps?

Many would like this farce ended and consigned to the history books.

Not nearly enough, though.
  • Options
    Rats. Thought Praeceps kept on for place money, but wasn't to be. Dogon pulled up after, I think, Prabeni clattered one and he was badly hampered upsides.

Surprising to see a strongly-backed favourite win the Fred Winter for once!
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Leathal steps was leathal for my bet. Come on glancing queen 7.8k if it wins about 700 of it places or my 380 minimum with is lovely
  • Options

Eighteen started. Four finished. More fallers than finishers.
    One dead (thankfully one only).
    A jockey apparently disobeying the instructions of a vet.
    Three others 'riding on' on overly-tired horses. 
    And another jockey who left the course and couldn't be interviewed. 

Time for yet another review by the 'Be seen to be doing something' BHA, perhaps?

Many would like this farce ended and consigned to the history books.

So, who do you fancy in the last race Anna :D
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2019
    LenGlover said:
    Been busy so just looked for each ways in the next 3. 

Very much a punt and not that confident!

4:10 Josies Orders (5 places at 5-1)

4:10 Fact Of The Matter (6 places at 10-1)

4:50 Cracker factory (10 places at 18-1)

5:30 Cascova (7 places at 22-1)

The rationale is to try to be a poor man's (with my betting record poor man is the operative phrase) @PeanutsMolloy with each way value.

It worked yesterday as I ( or rather @Len\'s_little_girl  since it's her account I use) was in profit on the day.

You're way too kind @LenGlover but thank you. Win some, lose some.
    I trust you and @Len\'s_little_girl did better than me today ......wouldn't have been hard    :/
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    LenGlover said:
    Been busy so just looked for each ways in the next 3. 

Very much a punt and not that confident!

4:10 Josies Orders (5 places at 5-1)

4:10 Fact Of The Matter (6 places at 10-1)

4:50 Cracker factory (10 places at 18-1)

5:30 Cascova (7 places at 22-1)

The rationale is to try to be a poor man's (with my betting record poor man is the operative phrase) @PeanutsMolloy with each way value.

It worked yesterday as I ( or rather @Len\'s_little_girl  since it's her account I use) was in profit on the day.

You're way too kind @LenGlover but thank you. Win some, lose some.
    I trust you and @Len\'s_little_girl did better than me today ......wouldn't have been hard    :/
    No I drew a complete blank today.

Not looking forward to @Len\'s_little_girl seeing my losses and passing on her comments but as you say win some lose some.

EDIT: I did get one place but not enough made to mitigate the other cock ups.
  • Options
    24 points up today.  30 points up in 2 days.  I bloody love Cheltenham!!

Great work - well done. I’ve basically not gone anywhere overall but at least I’m not losing!
  • Options
    24 points up today.  30 points up in 2 days.  I bloody love Cheltenham!!
    Thank you for that today. I owe you a beer or two 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    A mate is owed freebets on Betway. 
    Not answering phones or live chat.
    Anyone with similar problems or suggestions ? 
  • Options
    Seem to be responding on twitter. Maybe try there?
  • Options
    Not giving me mine either the shysters. Say I got an email last year saying I wasn't entitled to the sports promotions even though the offer appeared on my page 
  • Options
    Mate finally got through. He was owed £33 worth of free bets on the Altior new a/c offer. They said they will pay up within 24 hrs, instead of the promised 1 hour, due to volumes. 
  • Options
    Mate finally got through. He was owed £33 worth of free bets on the Altior new a/c offer. They said they will pay up within 24 hrs, instead of the promised 1 hour, due to volumes. 
    Just replied to your PM - 'due to volumes' is rubbish.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My mate showed me an email yesterday from Betway stating he is not entitled to the sports promotions anymore. He has no idea why he only occasionally bets the odd fiver or tenner here or there.  

I closed my account with them a couple of years ago, dog shit site.
  • Options
    Betway are shit. Stick to Bob's lot (Bet365); Will Hill; and Sky. 

You'll be okay with other biggish firms, but those three are probably industry leads.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Just replied to your PM - 'due to volumes' is rubbish.
    Thanks Bob. 
  • Options
    Just had a chance to check my account.

A massive 0.14pts up over two days of placing 36pts worth of bets...
  • Options
    Day 3 musings:

Day 2 was much better than Day 1! With 9pts / £90 staked, and 12 pts / £120 returned, that’s the healthy sort of return we want consistently. Of course, we’re down overall, but forgive me for not worrying about that too much right now at the nascent stages of this venture.

It was also a good day for punters in general, with Altior retaining his crown (albeit with a little scare); Tiger Roll dominating; and the well-backed Band of Outlaws and Envoi Allen obliging, too. 

Without further ado, here are my musings ahead of Thursday’s racing. There are a lot of very big fields and as a result, hopefully loads of value to find. Let’s continue the revival!

JLT

Joel over at 2pts win, at the time of writing, simply says “Defi Du Seuil will win. 1pt win Defi Du Seuil @ 3/1” – and while I assume he’ll be a little more expansive on this in due course, I can’t really disagree. But right now, he’s 5/2, and that’s a little too skinny for my liking. Thus, we take him on with just the one bet. I think Kildisart (9/1 generally) is the one to be on board at the prices. If his jumping improves (it looks a bit novicey, which is fair for a novices’ race!), then he can have a big say in proceedings.

Lostintranslation will have to find a little with Defi Du Seuil, especially off level weights, as will Vinndication – whose tendency to jump right-handed isn’t encouraging around Cheltenham, either. Real Steel would be a likeable bet, but he’s being supported even now into 6/1 (opened I think at 8s), so despite his lack of exposure, I’m going to swerve. Voix Du Reve is Ruby Walsh’s choice, and he loves this race. His form has been bang there, and he’d be my second option in this race – Walsh having won the JLT thrice.

Pertemps

I find it strange that a Barry Geraghty-saddled horse in Sire Du Berlais is a relatively strong head of the market. His handicap record at Cheltenham is terrible, to go back to this Fat Jockey Forum thread. That said, the last three Pertemps winners have all been Irish, and have all been strong in the betting. To that end, I’ll go with current fourth-favourite Walk To Freedom (12/1 each way with William Hill, 1/5 1-5), who is Robbie Power’s fancy for the race, and who ran a blinder in one of the qualifiers for this race. With two recent winners being at the top of the weights, Walk To Freedom could be another, and I like the value.

I have to have a second selection here though, especially with six places paid at some firms. Aaron Lad (14/1 each way, Paddy Power or Betfair, 1/5 1-6) is trained by the shrewd Richard Newland and connections have hinted his 90-day break before this race was probably the plan. His last run was over course and distance and I was really taken with how much more he had to give the further the race progressed. A 9lb rise needs to be defied, though, but I’m happy with the price regardless.

There are too many others to mention and to cross-reference, but Abolitionist is taking a very similar route toward the Grand National as Pineau De Re, who wasn’t beaten far in this race on the way to a GN 2nd in 2014 – though I’m hoping just for a safe spin round. Wait For Me, with an estimable Cheltenham record, is worth a lash at a big 40/1, but wasn’t too good in last year’s Pertemps, so I’m not poking. First Assignment and Samburu Shujaa are both skinny-ish prices for a reason, too.

Ryanair Chase

What a card. This is one of the deepest races at the festival. We are almost certainly going to see a bit of a pace war at the front, with four or five who like to make the running (Monalee, Un De Sceaux, Footpad, Frodon etc) ensuring it. The bookies also all seem to have a vice-like grip on the market, with it so competitive. At the time of writing, the top five in the market are generally between 4/1 and 7/1.

With BetVictor (again!) paying a fourth place on this race, I’m gonna take a chance on Terrefort (25/1 each way with BetVictor, 1/5 1-4), who has looked decent when healthy this year, finishing in the frame behind Frodon and Clan Des Obeaux at trips of about 3m. While he’s got to find more – of course – the race will be run to suit, and the way he won his novice Grade 1s on soft (with a JLT second, too) gives me hope.

The other horse to potentially benefit from the race panning out this way is Road to Respect (4/1 generally), who has swerved the Gold Cup for a tilt at this. If his jumping is better today, then I can definitely see him coming off a hot pace to pick up the pieces and win it around jumping the last or even in the home straight. 

I’d want Monalee and Footpad at bigger prices; Un De Sceaux may be getting long in the tooth and is in a very deep renewal; and I don’t think Frodon will have the race run to suit. I can’t make a case for others at bigger prices, so this is it for me for the Ryanair.

Stayers’ Hurdle

This will probably go to Paisley Park. He’s looked phenomenal this year and is a well-deserved 7/4 or so favourite, with wins in the Long Walk and Cleeve Hurdles. I will therefore not be opposing him for win purposes, but with 18 runners, it’s worth having a look at the firms that offer four places (BetVictor, Coral, Ladbrokes and a couple of others that don’t count).

Bapaume (22/1 each way with Coral and BetVictor, 1/5 1-4) ran well behind Presenting Percy last time out, and generally has looked solid behind Apple’s Jade too (though she disappointed on Tuesday – but I’d expressed my doubts about her liking for Cheltenham). There was a Grade 1 second place in France last May, and a tidy Grade 2 win over shorter – I think Bapaume is a model of consistency and thus I’m hoping to see a place accordingly.

I don’t think anything else in the race is really worth backing: Faugheen is too short and would make for a great story; Supasundae is too often a silver medallist and at 8/1 isn’t worth getting on board; Bacardys likes a fall… and I won’t continue, but you get my thinking, I presume.

Brown Advisory Plate

Most bookies are offering five places. Only Bet365 are offering 1/4 odds with five places, so every tip will be with them. I’m not surprised they’re offering such good terms, though – this is a very tricky race to unpack. My go-to workings will involve trends in the race and from stables/yards – for the Plate, we can see Gigginstown have a decent enough record. Surprisingly they don’t come mob-handed to handicaps, and they have just one runner this year, Valseur Lido. 33/1 is the right price for a horse out of sorts and I won’t be taking it.

However, Venetia Williams sends two to this race, and her record is excellent. She’s had 20 runners, of whom two have won and two have placed, which is a great strike rate. She has been rubbish with her charges in most every other handicap, but the Plate is the one to zone in on. To that end, with both Gardefort and Didero Vallis at 25/1 with Bet365, I’ll be having a small interest on them.

Not a tip, but Kauto Riko flies the flag for the /r/HorseRacingUK subreddit, and I’ll be very happy if he wins! 

Mares’ Novices’ Hurdle

Epatante is well-backed and too short for it. She looks very classy, but hasn’t beaten much, so in what is a pretty competitive field for this sort of race, we’ll be taking her on.

Sinoria (8/1 with Hills and 365) is a very attractive price, and was intended to run in the Ballymore, but moves here after Honeysuckle’s injury. Her win last time out has been franked by Chosen Mate, who was odds on for a Grade 2 event, and I think she’s completely the wrong price.

Also interesting is Lust For Glory (20/1 each way with Bet365, 1/4 1-3), who is three times the price of Posh Trish, with whom she essentially shares form. Thus, at a price, I’m happy to get on board.

Not a race I know too much about, so the stakes will be limited accordingly.

Kim Muir

Bet365 again come up trumps with five places at 1/4 odds. Then again, it’s another very difficult race to make something of, with the head of the market well looked up, and so many other contenders abound. I won’t have a bet on this one – good luck if you do!

Tips Summary

1.30 – Kildisart @ 9/1 – 0.75pts win

2.10 – Walk To Freedom @ 12/1 – 0.5pts e/w (Will Hill, 1/5 1-5)
    2.10 – Aaron Lad @ 14/1 – 0.5pts e/w (Paddy Power or Betfair, 1/5 1-6)

2.50 – Terrefort @ 25/1 – 0.5pts e/w (BetVictor, 1/5 1-4)
    2.50 – Road To Respect @ 4/1 – 0.75pts win

3.30 – Bapaume @ 22/1 – 0.25pts e/w (Coral or BetVictor, 1/5 1-4)

4.10 – Gardefort @ 25/1 – 0.5pts e/w (Bet365, 1/4 1-5)
    4.10 – Didero Vallis @ 25/1 – 0.5pts e/w (same as above)

4.50 – Sinoria @ 8/1 – 1pt win (Will Hill or Bet365)
    4.50 – Lust For Glory @ 20/1 – 0.5pts e/w (Bet365, 1/4 1-3)

That’s 9pts in play. We don’t need much to come in to profit – let’s go!

• Options
    Was there Tuesday in Chez Roux. Never seen so much traffic around the course on a Tuesday. Couldn’t go wrong. 2 x 10-1 winners, 6-1 second 20-1 second and 25-1 third. Yesterday, couldn’t back anything except a 16-1 third. 
    Mind you, it’s probably true that those who won Tuesday are the ones who know nothing about horses, I’m one of them.
  • Options
    I really fancy Didero Vallis e/w @PaddyP17 so I apologise now for that.