Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cheltenham Festival 2019

Comments

• Riviera said:
    My old man is going as he does most years, but has had a message today from over in Ireland saying that its probably not going to go ahead on the week planned? Any one else hearing any rumours?
    All racing has been suspended in the UK mainland for the next 6 days due to an outbreak of equine flu. Hopefully it has been done early enough to isolate the affected horses and it won't have spread but we all remember the foot and mouth outbreak in 2001 which started small and escalated enough for the festival to be cancelled. The Irish had already pulled out weeks before the event was postponed and of course they won't travel this year if there is any risk. 
    Imagine how gutted Michael O'Leary would be if that happened. I for one would be devastated for him and his badly handicapped horses. Saves him the trouble of paying fines for non triers such as the £3,000 for yesterday's joke ride.
  • pint prices this year £6.20 a guinness - now that is taking the piss 
    I’ve been three times this season and noticed the prices have gone up so it doesn’t surprise me to see Guinness at £6.20 for the festival! A pint of lager last season was £4.50 but this year was more like £5.20 I think.
  • Over six pounds for a Guinness?! I love the stuff and it's easily my favourite drink, but that is ludicrous.
  • pint prices this year £6.20 a guinness - now that is taking the piss 
    I’ve been three times this season and noticed the prices have gone up so it doesn’t surprise me to see Guinness at £6.20 for the festival! A pint of lager last season was £4.50 but this year was more like £5.20 I think.
    just call it 6 makes it much easier for rounds although that is a ridiculous price
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Over six pounds for a Guinness?! I love the stuff and it's easily my favourite drink, but that is ludicrous.

Mine too and at that price it is ridiculous.

But, at pretty much any price they would sell as many as they could pour. Supply and demand - innit?

• never understand why they do not make more bars and stop people standing at them, the queuing system at grand national is a lot better and leads to less frustrated people i hope they stick to the max 4 drink rule again this year as does limit the amount of dickheadedness at the bar
  • The following thread includes some stunning work by my mate Charlie (AKA profprofitable on Twitter) on handicap analysis over the last ten years: http://www.fatjockey.com/forum/showthread.php?15209-Owner-Trainer-Handicap-Analysis-2008-2018

In summary so far:

1) Bet on Davy Russell
    2) Bet on Gigginstown, especially on the Martin Pipe and Brown Advisory
    3) Bet on Mullins in the Coral Cup, Martin Pipe and County Hurdle. Look out for Paul Townend
    4) Bet on Paul Nicholls in the Fred Winter, Martin Pipe, County Hurdle and Grand Annual
    5) Avoid Nicky Henderson (especially with his current focus being BVD and Altior)
    6) David Pipe is adequate each-way
    7) Avoid Jonjo O'Neill, especially as he tends to attract a fair bit of money

---------------------------

I'd recommend reading the analysis itself, too. It's immensely detailed and, come the 12th March, will be very very useful - especially as prices probably won't fluctuate all too much (unless Bob gets worried?!).
  • edited February 2019
    that looks to be kalashnikovs arkle dream over
  • Sponsored links:

• that looks to be kalashnikovs arkle dream over
    Can't believe he was so heavily backed for so long. He's not beaten much at all, really. Makes my Cilaos Emery Any Race that much tastier! But Glen Forsa was very, very impressive.
  • Supreme Novices Hurdle -  Elixir De Nutz 14/1
  • Supreme Novices Hurdle -  Elixir De Nutz 14/1
    That's good value. I'm going to have a small interest in 20s on Getaway Trump each way on the day, probably, because that's a big big price for a horse that IMO was ridden wrongly at the weekend, and not beaten all that far in the end.
  • Especially with the following stats on the Supreme
    The last 49 horses to run in the Supreme on the back of a handicap race have all lost in fact only 2 form the last 198 have won and the last won was 1997.......... the Favourite has to over come that stat,
    No 4 year old has won this race since 1973.............the second favourite has that stat the over come!
    And a little bonus for Elixir De Nutz is that Grand Sancy franked his form over the weekend
  • edited February 2019
    Especially with the following stats on the Supreme
    The last 49 horses to run in the Supreme on the back of a handicap race have all lost in fact only 2 form the last 198 have won and the last won was 1997.......... the Favourite has to over come that stat,
    No 4 year old has won this race since 1973.............the second favourite has that stat the over come!
    And a little bonus for Elixir De Nutz is that Grand Sancy franked his form over the weekend
    Any plans for your gee gee this time @killer kish ?
  • got tickets to the betfair preview evening last few i've been to betbright and an irish pub in morden have been rubbish - looking forward to this one panel consisting of paul keally rp, gordan elliot, paul nicholls. on the 6th march - free entry held at one of the rooms at the emirates will stick all the info up here although i think it is free to stream. 
  • Miranda, has a entry in Mare's Novices bet365 are nrnb so had a dabble at 25's. Not sure she will run waiting for a update, it is the same sydicate that own Getaway Trump
  • got tickets to the betfair preview evening last few i've been to betbright and an irish pub in morden have been rubbish - looking forward to this one panel consisting of paul keally rp, gordan elliot, paul nicholls. on the 6th march - free entry held at one of the rooms at the emirates will stick all the info up here although i think it is free to stream. 
    Watched last year’s Betfair event online.

It was a good panel then too and they did some silly price boosts at the time as well - one for each day of the festival, something like 4/6 boosted to even money on Buveur d’Air in the Champion Hurdle last year.

Wonder if they will do the same this year.
  • Oxford Blu certainly won’t going back to Cheltenham this year len as he has completely lost the plot........works well at home,shows nothing on the racecourse 
    After Sandown Friday not sure where Duhallow Gesture goes now 
    Watched last year’s Betfair event online.

It was a good panel then too and they did some silly price boosts at the time as well - one for each day of the festival, something like 4/6 boosted to even money on Buveur d’Air in the Champion Hurdle last year.

Wonder if they will do the same this year.
    they are doing price boots again, always wanted to go - tickets were free announced on their twitter at 10pm on saturday all 50 had gone by saturday morning. 
  • Sponsored links:

• skybet great offer money back as cash for the 1.30 race each day max bet £20.00 and 1 bet per race refundable. 
  • Presenting Percy scratched again at the weekend. There's wrapping your horse in cotton wool and then there's this! Massive fan of his but can they really expect him to win a Gold Cup without jumping a fence in public since the festival last year. As an antepost backer of his i'm a little concerned.
  • BertieB said:
    Presenting Percy scratched again at the weekend. There's wrapping your horse in cotton wool and then there's this! Massive fan of his but can they really expect him to win a Gold Cup without jumping a fence in public since the festival last year. As an antepost backer of his i'm a little concerned.

Yes I think they can. Jumping has never been a problem for him and he looked sharp and fit enough last month over hurdles.

Still the one to beat in my opinion.

• bobmunro said:
    BertieB said:
    Presenting Percy scratched again at the weekend. There's wrapping your horse in cotton wool and then there's this! Massive fan of his but can they really expect him to win a Gold Cup without jumping a fence in public since the festival last year. As an antepost backer of his i'm a little concerned.

Yes I think they can. Jumping has never been a problem for him and he looked sharp and fit enough last month over hurdles.

Still the one to beat in my opinion.

True. He jumped like a stag in the RSA last year. Here's hoping...
  • edited February 2019
    regarding pp running a horse on good ground twice less than a month apart is a huge risk of injury to the horse. 

and would of been schooled at home etc, the trainers whole apporoach of not talking to the media is odd and its hard for the punters as without punters you do not have a industry.
  • few horses confirmed out and missing the festival 

le richbourg misses the arkle, cliaos emery is also touch and go. 
  • few horses confirmed out and missing the festival 

le richbourg misses the arkle, cliaos emery is also touch and go. 
    Cilaos Emery is all but out I've heard - gutted about that (had 20s any race). Looks like Defi De Seuil is being rerouted according to the exchanges - 7/2 for the Arkle now, and drifts to 5/1 for the JLT.
  • arkle field that is 2 of the leading fancies gone, was on kalashnikov ante post - but that looks like a losing bet, duc des genieveres will now carry my pennies at a lot better odds than currently being offered has been shorted due to mullins losing cliaos and the withdrawal of le richebourg
  • skybet great offer money back as cash for the 1.30 race each day max bet £20.00 and 1 bet per race refundable. 

Who will people be backing for the Supreme?

Elixir is the one I've had my eye on so will go for that with the Skybet £20

Who will people be backing for the Supreme?

Elixir is the one I've had my eye on so will go for that with the Skybet £20
    Im on Elixir £20 @ 10/1 - Win only