Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Solly Testimonial Dinner - Info here - Be there or be square

edited February 2019 in General Charlton
Morning Lifers,

Some of you are aware but I dare say there are numerous people out there who are not and might be interested to attend.

It's an opportunity to say thanks so a genuine Charlton legend.  Someone who we all agree has, and continues, to put his body on the line in the name of our club.  Someone who has been there through good and bad times and still plays with a smile, grit and guile.

We can all agree it has been a tough time of late but people like Solly, Jacko and Bowyer are all a massive part of our current spirit and this is a chance to not only meet and greet these guys but, most importantly, to show our appreciation to Chris Solly - and let's be honest how rare is a testimonial these days!

There's a 3 course meal, auction, guest speaker and a host of current and ex-players/staff attending.

Auction prizes include a framed, signed League 1 Championship winning shirt, a signed pair of Nick Pope's goalie gloves, signed Ademola Lookman shirt from his time at R B Leipzig and a proper unique item...Chris Solly's signed (and unopened) bottle of champagne presented by Npower when we won the League 1 title.

It's £60 a head or £500 for a table of 10 so if there was enough interest in here you could put a Lifers table together.  To clarify none of this money goes to Roland.  Not a bean

Further details, including how to book on the attached - should be a good evening.

MODS @AFKABartram - Any chance of a sticky, pretty please with a cherry on top....

Comments

• "Auction prizes include a framed, signed Championship winning shirt....."

Do you mean League 1?

• Rob7Lee said:

"Auction prizes include a framed, signed Championship winning shirt....."

Do you mean League 1?

Indeed - corrected.

thanks

See you there then?
  • No Karlan ?

Premier League Prima Donna.....
  • stretching the term 'legend' with a couple of those ;)
  • North Stand?

Covered End surely :wink:
  • edited February 2019
    shame its on a Sunday night or would of attended - one for end of season may of been a better shout
  • What is on the menu?
  • What’s the capacity of the room? because I see there is still over 300 left... shame if it doesn’t sell out for him 
  • Think £60 is way OTT and has put people off
  • Sponsored links:

• Yeah £60 is pretty steep, hope those that go have a good night though
  • Sixty quid ! He is having a laugh. I know the money does not go to douchebag. Where does it go?
  • Swisdom said:
    The money is going to charity of Chris’ choosing. 

£60 for a meal, good company at The Valley and to pay respects to one of the old-guard.  a chance to mingle with past and present players...

how many testimonials do peolle people have these days? They are as rare as a rocking horse poo

Chris deserves this testimonial season - lets make it worthwhile

Totally agree with those sentiments.

However, for those of us who follow the lads away on a regular basis, it would have been better to hold this event on a Sunday following a home game IMO.

An away trip to Bristol on the Saturday with some of us planning an overnight stay in Bath makes this a long & expensive weekend. 

Such a shame as I know at least 6 of us would have attended the dinner after a home game the previous day.
  • Swisdom said:
    The money is going to charity of Chris’ choosing. 

£60 for a meal, good company at The Valley and to pay respects to one of the old-guard.  a chance to mingle with past and present players...

how many testimonials do peolle people have these days? They are as rare as a rocking horse poo

Chris deserves this testimonial season - lets make it worthwhile

Totally agree with those sentiments.

However, for those of us who follow the lads away on a regular basis, it would have been better to hold this event on a Sunday following a home game IMO.

An away trip to Bristol on the Saturday with some of us planning an overnight stay in Bath makes this a long & expensive weekend. 

Such a shame as I know at least 6 of us would have attended the dinner after a home game the previous day.
    Sounds like a good end to a lovely Charlton Weekender
  • The date was difficult to sort. It needs to be long enough after previous events, early enough so it’s not on top of subsequent events but also Chris’s wife is expecting around this time. He’s been a busy boy 😉
  • All due respect but is Andy Hughe's really a legend?

Would like to make this but not sure at the moment what's happening with coming back from Brizzle weekend.

Would like to make this but not sure at the moment what's happening with coming back from Brizzle weekend.

more of a legend than a few on that list!
  • I guess it'll be good to hear from Hughes, in a way I guess we always knew he was going to play second fiddle to Chris that season yet it was his first proper season as first choice Right-Back yet also kept out a seasoned pro

Plus it gives someone a sneaky opportunity to kick him in the head for Huddersfield taking Grant
  • Swisdom said:
    The date was difficult to sort. It needs to be long enough after previous events, early enough so it’s not on top of subsequent events but also Chris’s wife is expecting around this time. He’s been a busy boy 😉
    Congratulations to Chris, didnt realise he was going to be a Dad again

Is there any mention of the Testimonial Game and who it'll be against in the summer?

I guess this is the beauty of the Internet / CharltonLife these days yet as said, we've not had a Testimonial for a while now (certainly not for someone still playing and still sometime from being done with the club in that respect) yet I know personally I only ever saw a testimonial as being a sole pre-season game, certainly never realised that these extra events happened etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:
    The date was difficult to sort. It needs to be long enough after previous events, early enough so it’s not on top of subsequent events but also Chris’s wife is expecting around this time. He’s been a busy boy 😉

Is there any mention of the Testimonial Game and who it'll be against in the summer?

I guess this is the beauty of the Internet / CharltonLife these days yet as said, we've not had a Testimonial for a while now (certainly not for someone still playing and still sometime from being done with the club in that respect) yet I know personally I only ever saw a testimonial as being a sole pre-season game, certainly never realised that these extra events happened etc.
    Tickets only on sale to those that go to this dinner ;-)

Just kidding - Testimonial game still being worked on - details will follow in due course

Not enough space on the flyer to put charlton legend / ex=players - coaches / mates of Chris ;-)
  • Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:

Tickets only on sale to those that go to this dinner ;-)

Just kidding - Testimonial game still being worked on - details will follow in due course
    Are Arsenal still his first choice or is that not possible now due to their commitments?
  • Best wishes to Chris and I hope the evening is a success. I for one am not going to pay sixty pounds for inedible food.
  • Might do this, should be a good night, which is what it's about rather than the food.
  • Swisdom said:
    seth plum said:
    Best wishes to Chris and I hope the evening is a success. I for one am not going to pay sixty pounds for inedible food.
    That's the spirit.  A no would have sufficed
    A menu would have sufficed.
  • NugNug
    edited February 2019
    Is this for charity?
    Edit:Sorry just seen previous post.
  • Redskin said:
    seth plum said:
    Swisdom said:
    seth plum said:
    Best wishes to Chris and I hope the evening is a success. I for one am not going to pay sixty pounds for inedible food.
    That's the spirit.  A no would have sufficed
    A menu would have sufficed.
    If there was no menu, how would you know the food was 'inedible'?
    Because it was last time I attended one of these, a menu might have indicated some improvement.