Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Last quarter of the regular league season left, what do you think we can do?

Comments

• Options
    They looked pretty average at home to Coventry yesterday to be fair.
  • Options
    Flight already booked for play off final weekend. I did the same last year!!!  :o
  • Options
    Hopefully make the playoffs and then raise our game.

Need to get results against Pompey and Luton.
  • Options
    Beating luton
    Uve got to be joking

You make them sound like Man City.

They're not.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Beating luton
    Uve got to be joking

They're not.

They're making the most of what they've got. Definitely not up to the standard Wigan were in this division...
  • Options
    I've been saying it for weeks now......top 2 not now achievable but nailed on certs for play-offs. Where do we want to be.....don't think it really matters although I'd prefer to be playing Pompey home & away rather than Sunderland. Mainly because we have a great record at Fratton park & is a lot easier to get there on a weekday evening or a weekend lunchtime (checkout last year's play off timings)

However, I would echo a PP above.....don't want to have secured a play off place with a couple of games to go & therefore players mentally take their foot of the pedal & limp across the line with abject performances away to the Gills & at home to Rochdale - both teams who we seem to struggle against for some reason. 

Finally.....banged on about it for too many years to mention that goals win games, but in the play offs 3 0-0 draws can get you promoted if you're good at taking penalties. Oh, wait....
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Beating luton
    Uve got to be joking

They're not.

They're making the most of what they've got. Definitely not up to the standard Wigan were in this division...
    Exactly.

They've kept the nucleus of last season's promotion winning team ..... with its spirit, familiarity and togetherness, and continued doing what they did last year.

They are a team in every sense because they work hard for each other.
    But they are still only a bunch of Third Division players.

Right now they're several points clear, but there's no guarantees in football.
    They are far from home and dry just yet ..... and not infallible.
  • Options
    Beating luton
    Uve got to be joking

Someone has too & someone will & that Someone could be us...           Bring It On...🤗
  • Options
    Think Luton will wobble at some point, but probably have enough to stay in the autos

1. Barnsley
    2. Luton 
    3. Sunderland
    4. Doncaster
    5. Portsmouth
    6. Charlton

Not looking forward to Keith Hill doing a job on us last game of the season to make it squeeky bum time
  • Options
    Top two unlikely but not unachievable. We will need everything to align e.g. Vetokele to step up, Fosu to find his form, Taylor to stay on the pitch and for the teams above us to slip up. The last bit is not impossible - who would have predicted Pompey would slide as much as they have in recent weeks? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All we can do is beat what is in front of us, would take a draw at donny the weekend if offered 
  • Options
    I think it depends on the side we put out. If we have enough goal threat in it, and Bowyer has it in his power to do this, I would make us favourites. 
  • Options
    Top two unlikely but not unachievable. 

There were plenty of posters saying after our first half a dozen matches that we were going to be in a relegation struggle.

People look at today's table and recent form - and assume things will stay more or less the same.

It's been said, "The only certainty in life is change". 
    Plenty of twists and turns to come yet.

Expect some surprises.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    To get automatics i'd say we need to win 9 of the remaining 12, and crucially not give points to the sides around us. Unlikely on current form - Just don't have enough goals in us now Grant has gone. As good as Johnny Williams is he doesn't score enough goals, i believe he has 3 career goals, not great for an attacking minded player!
  • Options
    I think we have enough points for Bowyer to give it a go. It means playing 4-4-2 and the front to being Igor and Lyle. Then Fosu has to be in the side. In all honesty, then you have Williams, Aribo and one of Cullen or Bielik. That has to be as strong as any side in this League on paper, and we already know our defence is decent.
  • Options
    we have struggled against blackpool, fleetwood and wimbldeon, yet are going to turn over 3 teams in the current top 6 :smile:

• Options
    Here's my predictions, hopefully it's wrong and we do better than that.
    1Luton TownLuton Town462912590:385299
    2Barnsley FCBarnsley FC462714579:364395
    3Sunderland AFCSunderland AFC462617381:433895
    4Portsmouth FCPortsmouth FC462612875:492690
    5Doncaster RoversDoncaster Rovers4623121181:572481
    6Charlton AthleticCharlton Athletic4621141165:471877
    7Peterborough UnitedPeterborough United4619151268:59972
  • Options
    I think we will finish 4th.
  • Options

02/03/2019 

Doncaster Rovers (6th) 

(a) 

15:00 

09/03/2019 

Portsmouth (4th) 

(h) 

12/03/2019 

Burton Albion (11th) 

(h) 

19:45 

16/03/2019 

Bristol Rovers  (21st) 

(a) 

23/03/2019 

Wycombe (12th)

(a) 

30/03/2019 

Bradford City (23rd)

(h) 

06/04/2019 

Plymouth Argyle (14th)

(a) 

13/04/2019 

Luton Town (1st)

(h) 

19/04/2019 

Oxford United (20th) 

(a) 

22/04/2019 

Scunthorpe United (16th )

(h) 

27/04/2019 

Gillingham (17th) 

(a) 

04/05/2019 

Rochdale (22nd) 

(h) 

17:30 

league positions in brackets, those final 4 games could be v hard as teams will be fighting for survival. 
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    addick05 said:
    Simple really, goals win matches. Is anyone really confident that we have the squad that will suddenly go on a high scoring spree between now and May? Can't see it myself. Play-off spot should be achievable but I fear we will come up short. Just saying it as I feel it - hope I'm proved wrong.
    Goals win you games but they also lose you games

Thankfully whilst our strikers arent producing our defence is... Whilst we remain solid at the back there is always a chance of nabbing a single goal or two
    Yes, but our defence has been good for most of the season - BUT, you still have to score to win games.

That's was my point. Sooner or later our 'strikers' have to start putting the ball in the net - with the midfield weighing in with a few.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ...disappoint
  • Options
    I fully expect us to get a play off place, and we will choke in the semi-finals home or away.
  • Options
    My head says we'll make the playoffs. But it'll be more due to the incompetence of those outside the top 6 right now failing to take advantage of our and Portsmouth's poor runs.

Anywhere between 4th and 6th for me depending on how Pompey and Donny finish.

My heart says we finish 4th or 5th avoid Sunderland then meet in the final again.

Sunderland's left back then goes on to miss the crucial penalty in a shoot out as we win 8-7 on pens, following a 5-5 draw and Naby Sarr scoring 4.
  • Options
    All of this is completely irrelevant as long as rolarse is in command 

If by some miracle, which is what Bowyer has worked thus far, we go up who honestly believes the horrible bastard would put his hand in his pocket and let Bowyer strengthen, genuinely strengthen the squad? 

If we don't we are bang in trouble in terms of recruitment anyway. Players are contractors and we are letting all of ours go seemingly 
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Oggy Red said:

There were plenty of posters saying after our first half a dozen matches that we were going to be in a relegation struggle.

People look at today's table and recent form - and assume things will stay more or less the same.

Expect some surprises.

I think we probably won't achieve an automatic place. The squad is too unbalanced and we seem not to emphasise putting goals on the pitch enough, but what is in our favour is that if the following players are playing close to their best, they would start for any League One team, Sarr, Bauer, Pearce, Bielik, Cullen, Aribo, Fosu, Taylor & Williams. That is quite a lot.
  • Options
    Take each game as it comes but would obviously love to have that second leg at The Valley. Then I don’t care who we get in the final. Games at Wembley are nervous occasions and really level the teams out, especially at League One standard. 
  • Options
    W5 D5 L2= 79 points

That might be a tad optimistic ?

Last season we finished with 71 and were 6th

Rotherham finished on 79 and were 4th and then won the Play off Final !
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Expect some surprises.

I think we probably won't achieve an automatic place. The squad is too unbalanced and we seem not to emphasise putting goals on the pitch enough, but what is in our favour is that if the following players are playing close to their best, they would start for any League One team, Sarr, Bauer, Pearce, Bielik, Cullen, Aribo, Fosu, Taylor & Williams. That is quite a lot.
    As you said yourself, Muttley: "Top two unlikely but not unachievable."

I agree with that, but just pointing out that people are trying to predict the unpredictable based on how teams are playing right now - and assuming that will continue. Some teams will lose form and some will come back to life after a poor run - it's the story of the season so far: look at first half of the season runaway leaders Portsmouth, no wins in 8. Or Sunderland, who couldn't buy a win for several games, suddenly coming back to life with 2 wins on the spin.

Ourselves, we've got a decent defence that concedes few goals - maybe we go on a run with a sequence of 1-0 wins. Why not, we're well capable?

As we know, we recently got derailed when Taylor got suspended and Grant sold.
    What's to say that even current form teams won't lose key players and struggle? It's what happens this time of year.

All to play for.

• Options
    Here's my predictions, hopefully it's wrong and we do better than that.
    1Luton TownLuton Town462912590:385299
    2Barnsley FCBarnsley FC462714579:364395
    3Sunderland AFCSunderland AFC462617381:433895
    4Portsmouth FCPortsmouth FC462612875:492690
    5Doncaster RoversDoncaster Rovers4623121181:572481
    6Charlton AthleticCharlton Athletic4621141165:471877
    7Peterborough UnitedPeterborough United4619151268:59972
    Nope. Still have no clue what this means. Just seems to be a load of random numbers thrown together.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    March

Donny (a) - DRAW
    Pompey (h) - WIN
    Burton (h) - WIN
    Bristol Rvrs (a) - WIN
    Wycombe (a) - LOSE
    Bradford (h) - WIN

April 

Plymouth (a) - WIN
    Luton (h) - DRAW
    Oxford (a) - DRAW
    Scunthorpe (h) - WIN
    Gillingham (a) - WIN

May 

Rochdale (h) - WIN 

12 Games - 8 Wins  - 3 draws - 1 Lose = 27 Points  (86 points) 

Feels a bit optimistic, that would probably put us 3rd/4th, reality we will just hold on for 6th place.

Although on paper Portsmouth are the worst form, i would like to avoid them in the playoffs as i feel they always put on a performance in the cup/ bigger games. 

Luton & Barnsley wont be caught, Battle for playoffs beckons