Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Momo Challenge - Real Issue or Hoax

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    To anyone worried about Momo I have been looking all day (outside of work hours) for any evidence of this thing...

I have just spent a few hours watching YouTube Kids and saw nothing.

i have spent 4 hours before work watching actual youtube and there were some fake peppa pig videos that included some violence but no Momo.

I'm beginning to think this is all a hoax, I'm yet to see a single quality piece of evidence that this Momo stuff is real.

I feel like it's just been created to harm YouTube and in turn Google.

Has anyone on here actually experienced the videos playing or seen any WhatsApps on their kids phones.

I would love to say it was a hoax but the reason you cannot find anything, is because it's been removed of YouTube and all other sources to stop it. I first heard about this months back and saw many youtube videos available of which some where freaky. You would hear how the children would meet Momo in Minecraft and then ask them to WhatsApp. This has been about for a year but only since the media has picked up on it more recently, that YouTube have made any motivation to remove it from its site.
    Most adults are clueless about what children get up to online. The technology giants haven't shown much desire to police their platforms.
    This is true, and I share your concerns. My kids are 4 and 7, and whilst they have tablets to watch YouTube kids on, and play games, we limit significantly what they can watch or play and when. They hardly ever watch TV except sometimes we will all watch a film. When we are out though we don't let them bring anything, or use our phones. 

As to the dangers, my eldest's school had an evening by the police about online awareness for parents, and it was shocking. The kids are all well taught about it. Having said that, a neighbors daughter and her friend had Instagram (they are 11/12 so slightly too young) and were told not to add anyone they didn't know. Neighbors friend didn't listen and within no time at all had a paedo showing pics of his cock. Luckily the girls were savvy enough to tell parents, who too it to the relevant authorities. When my neighbor, who is a teacher, asked one of her secondary school classes if that had ever happened to them, half the class said yes. 

Tempted to not let the girls use any form of tech, but better is to educate them I think, the horse has bolted. Some sick scum out there.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I'd not heard of momo before, but it is easy to stumble across kids tv shows that have been doctored somehow. My 4 year old loves super heroes, paw patrol etc, so i let him go on my phone to watch them on youtube. I always search "super heroes for kids", and he flicks between videos himself. However, after a few clicks here and there you can find some more, er...questionable videos, so you really have to keep an eye on him! Youtube should obviously be policing things better, but i guess its a massive job, with people uploading thousands of videos a day.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    I'd not heard of momo before, but it is easy to stumble across kids tv shows that have been doctored somehow. My 4 year old loves super heroes, paw patrol etc, so i let him go on my phone to watch them on youtube. I always search "super heroes for kids", and he flicks between videos himself. However, after a few clicks here and there you can find some more, er...questionable videos, so you really have to keep an eye on him! Youtube should obviously be policing things better, but i guess its a massive job, with people uploading thousands of videos a day.
    Seeing that Google paid $1.65b for it am sure they could afford it
  • Options
    There was a widespread softcore paedophile ring on YouTube that was uncovered by a YouTuber and has seen advertisers leave the platform.

The explainer video is quite disturbing.

Regardless of whether Momo is real, it's just not a very safe place for kids, watching or creating.
  • Options
    Letting children have constant unrestricted access to the internet is just asking for trouble. 
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Seeing that Google paid $1.65b for it am sure they could afford it
    Maybe youtube is only 2% of their interests, so they just don't have rhe time/will/budget :wink:
    Shouldnt have gotten foreign owners should they!!
  • Options
    Regarding children's content online, this is a great investigation.

https://medium.com/@jamesbridle/something-is-wrong-on-the-internet-c39c471271d2

The conclusion being that weird parody or troll children's videos get amalgamated into word lists by youtube algorithms, which are then reproduced into original videos with that content. So rather than being an evil scheme it's just the product of bots, algorithms and industrial video makers fitting content to keyword lists. Very weird.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    There was a widespread softcore paedophile ring on YouTube that was uncovered by a YouTuber and has seen advertisers leave the platform.

Regardless of whether Momo is real, it's just not a very safe place for kids, watching or creating.

That is absolutely horrific. How does YouTube let something like that happen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Back in 2017 it stated 300 hours of video are uploaded every minute and I imagine that has increased since then.

• Options
    Letting children have constant unrestricted access to the internet is just asking for trouble. 
    As with anything it is the parents responsibility to police their kids.

I have no problem with my 8 and soon to be 6 year olds watching YouTube kids or playing on their tablets. We have time restrictions set up under the parental controls and are happy for them to have downtime as they lead active lives

Typical week is:

Mondays - after school hockey club
    Tuesdays - lunchtime school Handball club
    Wednesdays - eldest has school football club.
    Wednesdays - cubs and beavers
    Thursdays - lunchtime school dance club.
    Thursdays - Street Dance
    Saturdays - football training + Street Dance
    Sundays - swimming lesson

• Options
    Bullshit. No proof it even exists - just like all urban legends since the dawn of time. They just morph into whatever medium is 'new' every time. Remember the 'Chelsea Smilers' , who were regularly 'waiting for you outside the gates' at school? Or 'Bloody Mary' - who would appear behind you and cut your throat if you stood in front of a mirror and said her name three times? Or the 'Blue Whale' game of a few years ago which was supposedly responsible for the suicides of hundreds of kids across Russia despite not a single one ever having been attributable to it?

These stories prey on deep-rooted fears within the human psyche, each new medium tapping into something in our subconscious. With this new wave, it's parents' fear that they are somehow abdicating responsibility for raising their children and letting their formative years be guided by them staring at a phone or tablet
    Going further back cheap novels in Victorian times, comics in Edwardian ear, cinema in-between the wars, radio, TV, videos, arcade games in their eras.

There's always a new threat.

Not to say that there are no risks with social media etc but it's not the bogeyman it is made out to be.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    As with anything it is the parents responsibility to police their kids.

I have no problem with my 8 and soon to be 6 year olds watching YouTube kids or playing on their tablets. We have time restrictions set up under the parental controls and are happy for them to have downtime as they lead active lives

Typical week is:

Mondays - after school hockey club
    Tuesdays - lunchtime school Handball club
    Wednesdays - eldest has school football club.
    Wednesdays - cubs and beavers
    Thursdays - lunchtime school dance club.
    Thursdays - Street Dance
    Saturdays - football training + Street Dance
    Sundays - swimming lesson

The trouble is some parents just allow kids unfettered access often from a young age and obviously don't give a thought to the consequences.

The internet/social media is still in its infancy and nobody really understands the long term effects. I was speaking to a psychiatrist recently who works with young adults and they seem to be dealing with a number of problems that are potentially exacerbated by the internet - young people will seek help for their problems in some very dark corners of the web. 

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Back in 2017 it stated 300 hours of video are uploaded every minute and I imagine that has increased since then.

@MrOneLung jesus, that's a staggering amount!
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Yep it’s horrific. People need to know about this.
  • Options
    It's a real issue - a lot of my year 4s were distressed yesterday. Its not funny and luckily a lot of the kids reported the video as they had an internet safety week recently.
  • Options
    whether it's a hoax or not, my daughter has been proper scared by it (just the weird pic was enough!)
  • Options
    Bullshit. No proof it even exists - just like all urban legends since the dawn of time. They just morph into whatever medium is 'new' every time. Remember the 'Chelsea Smilers' , 
    Yep, hence why I have worn a cricket box every single day since the rumour surfaced at my school in 1987.

I'm ready for the bastards when they come.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Yep it’s horrific. People need to know about this.

it is horrific watching some morons kid burp 'ABC' into the camera or some absolute bore talking about how he got forest green rovers into the premier league in under 10 years on Football manager. that kind of shit probably takes up 250 hours of that 300 hours.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gammon said:
    It's a real issue - a lot of my year 4s were distressed yesterday. Its not funny and luckily a lot of the kids reported the video as they had an internet safety week recently.
    Videos on YouTube or somewhere else @Gammon?
  • Options
    All I know is you’ve got to be half a momo to fall for this shit. 
  • Options
    I'll try to find out more, but only last night my Grandson was telling his Nan that he had watched it!
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    All I know is you’ve got to be half a momo to fall for this shit. 
    Not sure if that is a joke, but if not that is totally incorrect. The age they are aiming for (If its even semi real) are impressionable.

Sorry if i have been whooshed there :)
  • Options
    It’s a hoax. Considering the rumours were hundreds of children had died in Russia should’ve tipped you off. It’s like the “feminists are going around throwing water over manspreaders” headline that was doing the rounds. It’s kremlin backed misinformation. It’s a form of terrorism. 
  • Options
    It’s as real as Jussie Smollett.