Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Another Bonkers Statement from Roland - the "The EFL must buy the club" one

Comments

• Options
    That is my favourite ever post from @Grapevine49 - which is a very high bar. Well said, sir. 

I’d be happy to join you. 
  • Options
    £2.500 you say? Count me in. 
  • Options
    2.5k, yup I’m in. 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    So we're in a position where our owner is asking the EFL to buy him out!! When i first saw this earlier this evening I thought it was a joke, spoof or a hack onto the official club website, but no it was for real. It must now be obvious to everybody the man is beyond deluded, he is asking an organisation that caters for 71 other clubs to buy 1 of their competitors and run it, and rent the ground if they cant buy it....unbelievable!
    However this rant, in my eyes is serious. The question is what can be done to finally get him to drop his price before he runs the club into the ground? He wants out, so any thoughts of him spending any money on player contracts, getting new players in, offering contracts to LB and JJ is pie in the sky. So where could that leave us in the summer? 8 or 9 contracted players, youngsters and little or no management. Time is running out, perhaps all fan forums can unite and look for common ground in how to save CAFC from what must now be obvious to everyone - an owner, who by his own admission, has little time (2%) for the club, and by his own admission has and never has had any ambition for the club, and once again, by his own admission, should NOT have been allowed to buy the club by the EFL. The issue I have on top of all of the above, is he has been banging on through LDT about Aussies buying the club, only to say today that he won't sell to foreign owners, unless I'm mistaken aren't Aussies foreign owners?
    This man needs to be removed from the ownership of this great club, his experiment has failed, its time he moved on, its time he dropped his price and let a new beginning dawn. As a normally peaceful 64 year old - Its time for constructive action!!

What do you mean by constructive......the mind boggles!
  • Options

Interesting musings, @Grapevine49, which hits several nails on the head.

I can certainly see that if the freehold assets were offered to sale to the supporters, there would be interest of the type you outline - but of course, that is not the major problem, is it?

The real question is who might take over responsibility for the playing side of the club, and why, because we can all see its potential to be a financial black hole.

Looking round the leagues there are still a few clubs, like Accrington, where a main motivation of the owner appears to be philanthropic - to do something for the good of the local community.  There is probably still scope for this in one-club towns which do not have the competing attraction of multiple Premier league clubs nearby.  It seems doubtful to me that Charlton could survive on that basis.

Two other motivations appear to be either a conspicuous display of wealth "look at me; I'm so wealthy I can afford to bankroll a football club", or for business reasons, using the club as an advertising vehicle and for large scale corporate hospitality.  There are then less laudable motivations such as money laundering, tax avoidance, attempts to gain citizenship, all of which have been speculated on in the press at different times.

Of course there would also be the hope that the club would achieve promotion to the Premier, and do sufficiently well there to remain at that level and become self-financing - but nobody sane could rely on that.

So... we all know the EFL cannot fall in with Roland's demand - but what alternatives are there waiting in the wings?  And is there anything we as fans can do to mitigate the harm Roland has done and continues to do? 

Although Roland has never recognised it, we are potentially a large asset to the business, and not only as buyers of tickets and merchandise.  Is there an effective way to publicise the fans as more than cash-cows who have inventive minds when it comes to protesting?

• Options
    One issue I see with the fans owning the ground and training ground is what happens if the club doesn't pay the rent or carry out the required maintenance?

Will we evict the club?

We would be hostages to the owners and they would know that.

Even a "friendly" separation of club and ground is, IMHO, a bad idea although still better than Duchatelet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes what's that saying about friends and business. .
  • Options
    I've just seen the next EFL Board meeting is on 6 March - Oh to be a fly on the wall if Roland's Rant is on the agenda!!
  • Options
    Why can’t Roland be sectioned under the mental health act surely there are 2 doctors who support Charlton who could sign the section order
  • Options
    Why can’t Roland be sectioned under the mental health act surely there are 2 doctors who support Charlton who could sign the section order
    The problem is that he doesn't spend any time here and his stupidity isn't sectionable.
    Also a doctor who did this on the basis of the football team they support would be struck off.
    Apart from that well done.
  • Options
    I’m astounded 😮 genuinely can’t believe this has been put out on the O/S I mean WTF 🤪
  • Options
    It needs working on obviously but to end this nightmare I’d chip in £2,500, happily.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Yep me too...for the 2 n half...become's me littleun' s inheritance,bit of a legacy or if sold back to someone who really cares about our club,a little profit maybe...😉,win all round me thinks...
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    His argument is amazing... I got us relegated and no one will buy us.
    NOT because my price is at or above Championship levels but because no one wants to deal with the fans. The fact he uses the Trump term "fake news" is telling.
    Has the EFL responded yet, as they said they would? That will be hilarious.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As large says, need working on, but I might be tempted as well.
  • Options
    Out of curiosity where has this £2,500 thing come from? Seen it floating about for a few days and first seen on Facebook, have I missed something?
  • Options
    Out of curiosity where has this £2,500 thing come from? Seen it floating about for a few days and first seen on Facebook, have I missed something?
    Have you not read Grapevines post? Disgraceful. 
  • Options
    Grapevines excellent post, page 15, deserves its own thread in my opinion. Anyone care to oblige? (Have tried on my iPad but can’t get the hang of copying and pasting)
  • Options
    Grapevines excellent post, page 15, deserves its own thread in my opinion. Anyone care to oblige? (Have tried on my iPad but can’t get the hang of copying and pasting)
    Done!
  • Options
    I just did it too. Will delete.