Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football rule [Law] changes for next season

2»

Comments

• Options
    So, if a forward deliberately flicks the ball up towards the arm of a defender, the defender has to get his arms out of the way otherwise it's a free kick or penalty.
  • Options
    The law has actually been changed with benefiting the defender in mind. It’s primary reason was so defenders don’t have to put their arms behind their backs when defending crosses etc.

however....everyone outside of the law makers are thinking about it from the other side and unless it’s clear what a natural silhouette is, they’ll be penalties every 10 minutes.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    In other changes approved by Ifab, substitutes will have to leave the pitch at the nearest goalline or touchline instead of walking to their technical area in a bid to stop time wasting.

About time too!
    Cue players being given a signal and wandering to the centre circle before their number goes up a la Jamie Ward
  • Options
    So, if a forward deliberately flicks the ball up towards the arm of a defender, the defender has to get his arms out of the way otherwise it's a free kick or penalty.

Derek1952 said:
    I know I have said this many times,but I still think players who take off their shirts when scoring

[I can't get my cursor to go outside the shaded are! Grrr.]

No he doesn't, so long as they are in a natural silhouette position.

• Options
    What is a natural silhouette position though

Makes it sound again as though its open to interpretation to some clever clogs referees

Why not just say: "If your arms are down by the sides of your body"
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    stonemuse said:
    In other changes approved by Ifab, substitutes will have to leave the pitch at the nearest goalline or touchline instead of walking to their technical area in a bid to stop time wasting.

About time too!
    Cue players being given a signal and wandering to the centre circle before their number goes up a la Jamie Ward
    Seems this rule is only based on what the Official decides...

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11655143/football-rules-how-will-new-ifab-laws-affect-the-game

i.e. If they dont want to enforce a player going off the nearest point they dont have to Am sorry but this is partly the worst part of these new rules; they're all open to interpretation which is going to put pressure on certain Referees because we're not going to see consistency across the board when it should be the case - Else how can a Charlton player be booked for not leaving at the nearest point yet an opposing player in a different match gets away with it!!... Thats potentially going to affect the season for one of those teams!!
  • Options
    Dont think its been mentioned on here yet seems as though rebounds from penalties will no longer be allowed

If a Goalkeeper makes a save or if it hits the post then there is no second chance meaning that the offending team will basically have a free-kick

Am sorry but WTF!!... What a crap rule that is!!...

I know the penalty taker shouldnt be missing but this is a rule that'll effectively see less goals not more that we all want to see!!

this will be next!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFLTIpcZxh8
  • Options
    Say if a keeper saves a penalty by pushing ball behind the byline, will it then still be a corner kick as he was last player to touch it? or will it be a goal-kick regardless?
  • Options
    Dont think its been mentioned on here yet seems as though rebounds from penalties will no longer be allowed

If a Goalkeeper makes a save or if it hits the post then there is no second chance meaning that the offending team will basically have a free-kick

I know the penalty taker shouldnt be missing but this is a rule that'll effectively see less goals not more that we all want to see!!
    It is already a rule where the taker can not touch the ball again until another player has. Therefore if the ball hits the post/bar, then the taker can not follow it up.

strange to change it so the taker can’t follow up after a save!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Say if a keeper saves a penalty by pushing ball behind the byline, will it then still be a corner kick as he was last player to touch it? or will it be a goal-kick regardless?
    You should be right. Surely the only way to deny someone the opportunity to score after a penalty is to deem the ball dead and that would mean only two options after a saved penalty or the ball hits the post: a goal or a goal kick. If not what would happen if the ball hits an opposing team member and then goes to an attacking player who scores?
  • Options
    So basically handball going forward means handball unless the players arms are down by their side?

I guess we'll know which players are being subbed going forward because they'll go stand on the centre circle!!

Its a good rule thats been introduced but think there are better ways to speed up substitutions
    My idea was that the player coming on can't run any faster for the rest of the game than the speed at which the subbed player leaves the pitch.
  • Options
    What the hell is a "natural silhouette"?

Can't believe they've taken a confusing rule and managed to make it even more confusing.

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    Goals scored or created with the use of an accidental handball will not stand from next season onwards, the International FA Board (Ifab) have confirmed.

Isn't this now open to abuse? It's worth handling the ball as it will only result in a free-kick and not necessarily a goal?
    I presume that means an accidental handling by the attacking team.  If the defending team handles and it goes in, it would still be a goal.  However, if the rule hasn't stated that explicitly, I'm sure there'll be a defender (Ramos?) claiming to have handled the ball so a goal can't be given.
  • Options

Makes it sound again as though its open to interpretation to some clever clogs referees

If you're running, your arms wouldn't be by the side of your body.
  • Options

If you're running, your arms wouldn't be by the side of your body.
    They would be if you’re the “only a flesh wound “ knight from Monty Python.
  • Options
    Players who get booked and then complain it was their first tackle should be made to sit in a corner and write 100 lines of 'I'm a very silly boy'.

• Options
    The substitute rule is interesting as they will find another way. How about the player about to be subbed gets word, as soon as vall goes out if play they mysteriously get injured so go down. They being subbed anyway but wasting time but getting physio on etc. Ref can't book as may be injured or may be time wasting.

Either way, each sub is worth 30secs of added time I thought at the end if the half so once the allowed 30secs are up for that sub taking place, just restart play. If the team making the sub has the possession, if sub not completed, possession switches. That will speed it up, no doubt.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

What are people's views on the penalty kick change - i.e. no rebounds.

It solves the problem of encroachment (all the players apart from the taker and keeper can be in the centre circle) but fundamentally changes the 'ball in open play' scenario.

On balance I think I'm against the change.

Apparently the rules[laws] about penalties are not changing,see below.
    This is an updated and corrected version of this article. The first edition mistakenly referred to a rule in relation to penalties which will not come into effect.

• Options

Also re the sub rule, the wording is that players can leave at the nearest touchline, doesn't say they have to.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

No attackers within a yard of the wall is a strange one for me, never saw it as an issue that needed fixing. both teams do it.

Been used a lot lately with attackers on the end of the wall and/or splitting the defenders in the wall

• Options
    I think that throw ins should have to be taken within say 10 seconds. Infuriates me when a player crosses from the other side of the pitch just because he can hurl it furthest. 
    Disagree with that... I used to play right back and take any throw either side of the pitch in an attacking position. It isn't time wasting, it is playing to your strengths
  • Options
    So basically handball going forward means handball unless the players arms are down by their side?

I guess we'll know which players are being subbed going forward because they'll go stand on the centre circle!!

Its a good rule thats been introduced but think there are better ways to speed up substitutions
    give the refs cattle-prods?
    About time the clock is stopped when a player goes off. Comical that a player for losing side runs off and winning side decides to shake hands, watches the clouds, and 60 seconds is wasted as he ambles off.

Stop the clock. 
  • Options

give the refs cattle-prods?
    About time the clock is stopped when a player goes off. Comical that a player for losing side runs off and winning side decides to shake hands, watches the clouds, and 60 seconds is wasted as he ambles off.

Stop the clock. 
    When the ball isn't in play full stop would be better.

There was talk about reducing a game from 90-mins down to 60-mins because on average thats the amount of times the ball is in play but do people seriously think that anything would change unless they get the clock stopped at the same time - Of course it wouldnt, we'd then have games that would on average be even slower because players would just continuously keep slowly the game down in their favour
  • Options
    I think that throw ins should have to be taken within say 10 seconds. Infuriates me when a player crosses from the other side of the pitch just because he can hurl it furthest. 
    You mean similar to how goalkeepers are only allowed to hold onto the ball for 5 seconds? Can't remember the last time that was enforced (unless it's been changed?) so reckon the same would happen for this. 
  • Options

It was suggested and discussed apparently and there were rumours it was being brought in. But the official word is it was (thankfully) turned down, so it's not a rule that's being brought in.
  • Options
    The attackers not being allowed to be in the wall is ridiculous to me. I don’t see any problem with it and you never see anyone complaining. All they’re doing is leaning into the opposition which isn’t a foul and can’t be classed as obstruction as the opposition aren’t intending to get the ball, only block it themselves.

The rest of the changes are okay and agree with them in general. It really is now up to the referees to enforce them and get some consistency in the game, because for me that’s the most infuriating part.
  • Options
    Depends on the players natural silhouette, everyone will be different.

For instance, a natural silhouette for Cantona was a kung fu kick.
  • Options
    Depends on the players natural silhouette, everyone will be different.

For instance, a natural silhouette for Cantona was a kung fu kick.
    The Arsenal back four under George Graham permanently had one hand high in the air whilst looking round at the lino.
  • Options
    The 'no attackers in the wall' rule is crazy and for me isn't really a rule that was needed.

I'd have much preferred they clamped down on diving, time wasting, and on the WWE wrestling that goes on at corners.

I'd love for someone at the governing body to explain how they've decided to eliminate players pushing into defenders in the wall at a free kick..............but absolutely nothing will happen when a defender wrestles an opposing player to the ground as a corner is swung in.