Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Boys Of Summer 2019

Comments

• Options
    Ok Cards, we've lured them into a false sense of complacency.

Now start playing.
  • Options
    Just seen a recording of last nights Nats V Cards game. Not much fun if you're a Cards fan, they look a beaten side and I expect the Nats to complete the sweep tonight. I still like the AL winner to take the Series however. Looking forward to Yankees V Astros game 3 about to start. If it's anything like as good as Game 2 it will be a cracker. 
  • Options
    Altuve HR for the Astros top of the 1st. Cole won't mind that.
  • Options
    Astros beat dirty Yanks 4-1 to lead 2-1 in the ALCS.
     :D 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Oh my god. This 1st inning for the Nats.
    Struck out the side then scored 5 runs already with only 1 out and 2 more on base. St Louis have lost the plot. Two errors and a pitching change already after just 15 pitches. Mental.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    And now 7-0 with 2 outs with St Louis using Wainwright out of the bullpen.

If St Louis were to win this, it would be absolutely incredible.

Edit: 7-0 at end of the 1st. What a start for the Nats.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Ok Cards, we've lured them into a false sense of complacency.

Now start playing.
    Ouch... better hope they wake up sharpish.
  • Options
    Squeaky bum time.
    Now 7-4 in the 5th...
  • Options
    BOOM!
    Nats win!
    First World Series berth for the Nats.

Well pleased. DC is going to be fun next week!
  • Options
    Ended 7-4 and the Nationals win the series 4-0. Didn’t realise it’ll be their first World Series so huge congrats to them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sweeping the NLCS could be huge.
    The Yanks and Astros could be in a tight fight for the other spot in the WS, so the Nats need to make the most of the advantage of the extra rest days.
    Amazing postseason performances so far.
    Can they win the whole thing?
  • Options
    Well, it wasn't to be.

Congratulations to the Nats who deserve the Championship.

Hope they win the WS.

Cards have some great young players, like Edman, to build on but some hard decisions about a lot of older players but at least we're back in post-season where we belong.

There's always next season.
  • Options
    Astros v Nats WS please.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    A right schellaking for the Cards.
    Got to tip the cap to the Nats. Go and do the biz for the NL.
  • Options
    I really hope New York don't win the ALCS, because I don't want to have to cheer for the Yankees!
  • Options
    Game 4 of ALCS unlikely to go ahead due to weather.

Looking like it was going to be a bullpen game so the extra day off might mean the Game 1 starting pitchers step up again.
  • Options
    Confirmed that ALCS Game 4 now postponed until Thursday 8pm ET - 1 am Friday here. Probably favours the Yankees if anyone as it means that they get to start their best pitcher Tanaka in Game 4  on normal rest. Must win game for the Yankees as i can't see them coming back from 3-1 down having to win both games in Houston even if they win Game 5.
  • Options
    philcafc said:
    Confirmed that ALCS Game 4 now postponed until Thursday 8pm ET - 1 am Friday here. Probably favours the Yankees if anyone as it means that they get to start their best pitcher Tanaka in Game 4  on normal rest. Must win game for the Yankees as i can't see them coming back from 3-1 down having to win both games in Houston even if they win Game 5.
    It may benefit them in game 4 but they rely more on their bullpen than Houston and we are possibly looking at 4 straight days of games if this goes the distance, and their best relievers have very rarely pitched on back-back-back days in 2019.
  • Options
    el-pietro said:
    I really hope New York don't win the ALCS, because I don't want to have to cheer for the Yankees!
    Why the dislike of the Nats @el-pietro ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    el-pietro said:
    I'm a Phillies fan. I have a number of reasons, some petty, some legitimate. I'll let you be the judge!
    • Division Rival - I don't want to see any NL East team win the World Series! I don't feel National League Pride so have no qualms supporting AL teams over NL teams. It doesn't benefit the Phillies for Los Angeles, St. Louis or Washington to win the World Series so why would I cheer on rivals?
    • "Natitude".
    • The Nats refusing to sell tickets to fans with Philadelphia address when the Phillies were good and Nats were still bad which meant the stadium was empty. I understand the logic, but it was extremely petty - https://www.sbnation.com/2012/2/28/2830557/nationals-take-back-the-park-phillies-fan-group
    • Signing everyone they could with a connection to Philadelphia and telling them to talk down their time in Philly in their press conferences in order to get Nats fans on board - there is a direct quote from Brad Lidge about this but I can't find it right now.
    • Their entire reaction to Bryce Harper - I get it, he left, and I would dislike any player who left my team for a rival but Harper was never offered a realistic contract, they made an offer so that ownership wouldn't be blamed but that they knew he would never accept. It was 300m over 10 years on paper, but over 100m of that was deferred and he wouldn't stop being paid until he was well into his 50s. On top of that the reaction to their reaching the WS has been heabily slanted against Harper. He was almost always a very good player for them, they didn't fail in the post season because of him, they reached it this year because they improved their team (Soto is a good replacement for Harper, they have improved catching and Corbin was a huge addition). harper may be overrated but hes a very good player.
    • I don't like the way they handle the Expos history. For the most part they ignore it, they don't recognise the retired Expos numbers etc, but they maintain the rights to the name and history, and this year wore Expos uniforms after ignoring them almost entirely since their inception. That's like if MK Dons wore throwback Wimbledon jerseys.
    • Their park is the dullest of the modern stadiums in the Majors. There is nothing about it that is specific to DC. Its a perfectly fine place to watch a baseball game, good views etc, its just boring. I'm in no rush to go back, though I had a great day there in April when Bryce Harper made his return and shut up their boos with an absolute bomb of a home run.
    • They are generally a pretty plastic team. The stadium is often empty even when they are good and many people there are supporting the opponents, or are just transplants who support teams from their home towns.
    On the other hand I do like some things about them
    • Anthony Rendon is legit, hes one of the best players in the game and doesn't get enough respect in MVP discussion. I don't think the Phillies should sign him because of his age but I would not be sad if he played for my team.
    • Max Scherzer is insane and brilliant. I love and hate him in equal measure
    • Thats it really.

If it does end up being Yankees - Nationals in the World Series then I will have seen both WS teams in the flesh this year as I took in a game between New York and Detroit at Yankee stadium in April before the Phillies -Nats series in DC. I also saw the Phillies v Atlanta and Minnesota. If you had told me that 4 of the 6 teams I saw live this year would make the playoffs I'd have been felling pretty good about the Phillies chances!
  • Options
    Personally I can't stand any team that plays in pinstripes -Yankees, Cubs (naturally) and Ph.........ive or six others. :)  
  • Options
    Personally I can't stand any team that plays in pinstripes -Yankees, Cubs (naturally) and Ph.........ive or six others. :) 

You've not seem Charlton play for a while then Peanuts : - )
  • Options
    edited October 2019

You've not seem Charlton play for a while then Peanuts : - )
    Must be something to do with my specs Henry

• Options
    el-pietro said:
    el-pietro said:
    I'm a Phillies fan. I have a number of reasons, some petty, some legitimate. I'll let you be the judge!
    • Division Rival - I don't want to see any NL East team win the World Series! I don't feel National League Pride so have no qualms supporting AL teams over NL teams. It doesn't benefit the Phillies for Los Angeles, St. Louis or Washington to win the World Series so why would I cheer on rivals?
    • "Natitude".
    • The Nats refusing to sell tickets to fans with Philadelphia address when the Phillies were good and Nats were still bad which meant the stadium was empty. I understand the logic, but it was extremely petty - https://www.sbnation.com/2012/2/28/2830557/nationals-take-back-the-park-phillies-fan-group
    • Signing everyone they could with a connection to Philadelphia and telling them to talk down their time in Philly in their press conferences in order to get Nats fans on board - there is a direct quote from Brad Lidge about this but I can't find it right now.
    • Their entire reaction to Bryce Harper - I get it, he left, and I would dislike any player who left my team for a rival but Harper was never offered a realistic contract, they made an offer so that ownership wouldn't be blamed but that they knew he would never accept. It was 300m over 10 years on paper, but over 100m of that was deferred and he wouldn't stop being paid until he was well into his 50s. On top of that the reaction to their reaching the WS has been heabily slanted against Harper. He was almost always a very good player for them, they didn't fail in the post season because of him, they reached it this year because they improved their team (Soto is a good replacement for Harper, they have improved catching and Corbin was a huge addition). harper may be overrated but hes a very good player.
    • I don't like the way they handle the Expos history. For the most part they ignore it, they don't recognise the retired Expos numbers etc, but they maintain the rights to the name and history, and this year wore Expos uniforms after ignoring them almost entirely since their inception. That's like if MK Dons wore throwback Wimbledon jerseys.
    • Their park is the dullest of the modern stadiums in the Majors. There is nothing about it that is specific to DC. Its a perfectly fine place to watch a baseball game, good views etc, its just boring. I'm in no rush to go back, though I had a great day there in April when Bryce Harper made his return and shut up their boos with an absolute bomb of a home run.
    • They are generally a pretty plastic team. The stadium is often empty even when they are good and many people there are supporting the opponents, or are just transplants who support teams from their home towns.
    • Anthony Rendon is legit, hes one of the best players in the game and doesn't get enough respect in MVP discussion. I don't think the Phillies should sign him because of his age but I would not be sad if he played for my team.
    • Thats it really.

If it does end up being Yankees - Nationals in the World Series then I will have seen both WS teams in the flesh this year as I took in a game between New York and Detroit at Yankee stadium in April before the Phillies -Nats series in DC. I also saw the Phillies v Atlanta and Minnesota. If you had told me that 4 of the 6 teams I saw live this year would make the playoffs I'd have been felling pretty good about the Phillies chances!
    Cheers @el-pietro . As you say - justified and petty!
    I always find the reasons for disliking teams interesting. You only have to look at the discussions on this board about whether we hate Millwall or Palace more, or whether Man U, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea or Man City are more repugnant.

Personally, the only baseball team I despise is the Yanks. I’d cheer on anyone against them. I get why some dislike the Redsox (my team), Cubs (my other team) as well as some of the other franchises, but I’d never seen comments of strong dislike for the Nats before. I agree with you about the attitude to the Expos and I understand there are some in Baltimore who are not too pleased with the Nats either. I also agree that Nationals Park is a bit soulless. (Every ballpark could learn from the Pirates on this.)

However, they’re my local team now, so they’ve got me as a fair weather fan for now.  :)
  • Options
    el-pietro said:
    el-pietro said:
    • "Natitude".
    • Thats it really.

I always find the reasons for disliking teams interesting. You only have to look at the discussions on this board about whether we hate Millwall or Palace more, or whether Man U, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea or Man City are more repugnant.

Personally, the only baseball team I despise is the Yanks. I’d cheer on anyone against them. I get why some dislike the Redsox (my team), Cubs (my other team) as well as some of the other franchises, but I’d never seen comments of strong dislike for the Nats before. I agree with you about the attitude to the Expos and I understand there are some in Baltimore who are not too pleased with the Nats either. I also agree that Nationals Park is a bit soulless. (Every ballpark could learn from the Pirates on this.)

However, they’re my local team now, so they’ve got me as a fair weather fan for now.  :)
    As far as I'm concerned the Red Sox and Yankees are interchangeable at this point. Super rich teams with tonnes of success. Equivalents to Man United, Chelsea, Man City etc.  One has had more historical success one has had more recent success but I dislike both equally. I probably should dislike the Yankees more because of 2009 but it felt like a fair cop, they were the better team in that series and while things went against us I couldn't feel too bad for them winning, especially as we were champions from the previous year. I hold much more hatred against the Giants and Cardinals for our defeats in 2010 and 2011 when I felt we were destined to win,

I have no issue with Nats fans individually and I give anyone credit for following a local team ,even as a second (or in your case third team!).

I haven't been to PNC yet, was hoping to visit in September but work situation meant I had to postpone my trip to November so no baseball unfortunately. I hear its great though. Baltimore gets a lot of love too for Camden Yards, another stadium on my bucket list.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    el-pietro said:
    el-pietro said:
    el-pietro said:
    • "Natitude".
    • Thats it really.

As far as I'm concerned the Red Sox and Yankees are interchangeable at this point. Super rich teams with tonnes of success. Equivalents to Man United, Chelsea, Man City etc.  One has had more historical success one has had more recent success but I dislike both equally. I probably should dislike the Yankees more because of 2009 but it felt like a fair cop, they were the better team in that series and while things went against us I couldn't feel too bad for them winning, especially as we were champions from the previous year. I hold much more hatred against the Giants and Cardinals for our defeats in 2010 and 2011 when I felt we were destined to win,

I have no issue with Nats fans individually and I give anyone credit for following a local team ,even as a second (or in your case third team!).

I haven't been to PNC yet, was hoping to visit in September but work situation meant I had to postpone my trip to November so no baseball unfortunately. I hear its great though. Baltimore gets a lot of love too for Camden Yards, another stadium on my bucket list.
    PNC Park is great. It’s funny, because you can’t really put your finger on why - it’s got the view and the architecture, so you’d think that would explain it, but it’s more about the atmosphere. It’s just...right, somehow.

I was hoping to catch a Phillies game this summer (We drove up to Canada and took in games at Boston and Toronto) but the timing just wasn’t right as the Phils were on the road when we passed through. Maybe next season. What’s the stadium like?
    Camden Yards just hasn’t happened for me yet despite being fairly close - I’m sure I’ll manage a game there soon too.
  • Options
    I love Citizens Bank Park but I'm biased. I've been to games at 5 MLB stadiums, Citizens Bank Park, Citi Field, Nationals Park, Yankee Stadium and Safeco T-Mobile Park. I'd rank CBP and Safeco well above the others. I don't think its at PNC/Camden Yards level but its one of the better modern parks, maybe a tier below those two.
    I've sat just about everywhere at this point and I don't think theres a bad place to watch a game from. Good food and beer options and generally a good atmosphere, especially when the team is doing well. The sports complex as a whole is great, you have the NFL stadium and the basketball/hockey arena across the road with a good sports bar/complex in XFinity Live. Good access by subway from the city and I think Philly is an amazing city to visit. Can't recommend it highly enough.
  • Options
    el-pietro said:
    I love Citizens Bank Park but I'm biased. I've been to games at 5 MLB stadiums, Citizens Bank Park, Citi Field, Nationals Park, Yankee Stadium and Safeco T-Mobile Park. I'd rank CBP and Safeco well above the others. I don't think its at PNC/Camden Yards level but its one of the better modern parks, maybe a tier below those two.
    I've sat just about everywhere at this point and I don't think theres a bad place to watch a game from. Good food and beer options and generally a good atmosphere, especially when the team is doing well. The sports complex as a whole is great, you have the NFL stadium and the basketball/hockey arena across the road with a good sports bar/complex in XFinity Live. Good access by subway from the city and I think Philly is an amazing city to visit. Can't recommend it highly enough.
    Cheers. Also done 5, but one of them (Shea Stadium) is no more. Also done PNC, Fenway, Rogers in Toronto, and a few games at Nationals.
    PNC and Fenway are my favourites for very different reasons: PNC as already mentioned and Fenway because it’s so different, has a real lively crowd, and I’m biased too! Nationals park has the least charm. I quite like Rogers. Can’t really remember Shea. I think I was too pissed up!
    Safeco is one I want to do - looking to do the West coast next summer, so hope to do the LA and SF stadia too.
  • Options
    Is there a baseball version of doing the 92?

Fewer stadiums but a lot more travel.

I'm on three,  New Yankee, old Baltimore and Busch