Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bristol Rovers v Charlton | Sat 16 Mar | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2019
    cafc_se7 said:
    I think it’s a decoy.... my luton mate at a service station earlier sent me this.....
    Is there a Nandos at a Service Station?

Edit: Just seen that Cobham Services has one...
  • Options
    Real tough game. Difficult pitch, difficult conditions, exposed away end, Rover in form with a striker coming into form. I think we might just get edged out in this one, 2-1 to the Pirates.
  • Options
    Djksteel for solly, 1-1
  • Options
    Would be nice to see Igor on the score sheet. 2 for the Addicks, Igor and Taylor. Another 3 points.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Bristol Rovers play a flat 4-4-2 with one of the strikers dropping into the number ten role to get in between the lines, sometimes dropping into midfield or out wide to be harder to break down. They’ve only conceded 37 goals all season, the same amount as us. Their problem has been scoring goals this season, but with Clarke-Harris up front, they’ve got a player who can find the net in this division if given the chance, 6 goals in his last 5 appearances. They have a couple of players who played for Shrewsbury last season and we know how organised and aggressive they were. Bristol Rovers also have a couple of ex-Millwall players, Ed Upson and Tony Craig, again both physical. I fully expect tomorrow to be a tough game, one where we have to match the battle in horrible conditions before we impose our own game onto them. If we manage to do that, we give ourselves a chance of winning the game, but this is not going to be easy.

Form wise, it's currently very similar between us and Bristol Rovers. Looking specifically at our last 6 games each, Bristol Rovers have picked up 11 points with three wins, two draws and a loss, scoring eight, conceding only four. Our last 6 games have given us 12 points, with three wins and three draws, scoring eight and conceding five. Since we played and beat Bristol Rovers back in November, we have played 19 games picking up 35 points. Whereas, they have picked up 25 points in 17 games, not bad for a team struggling at the wrong end of the table. Bristol Rovers have only lost twice in their last 14 league games, winning seven and drawing five, scoring nineteen and conceding an impressive ten goals. That means they've scored two more and conceded two less in the same time frame. However, a key stat that also needs to be brought up other than Bristol Rovers excellent recent form, is that they actually have the worst home record in the league with only 17 points from their 18 home league games and winning only once at home this calendar year.

This is going to be a really tough game, one where the conditions are going to play a huge part in proceedings and one where we must be prepared to battle. They are far better than they were when we played them in November. The pitch is heavy, this will be our third game in a week and we have a couple of players injured that will be key to our midfield, especially for an away game, at home we can get away with playing such an attacking midfield, at Bristol Rovers, we will not have that luxury.

Regarding personnel, this is a game where I can again see Dijksteel coming in for Solly at right back again. Being a physical side it would not surprise me at all. However, with a long break coming up, Bows could decide it will be fine with Solly at right back and will be able to cope. Pratley needs to be ahead of the young Lapslie for the reasons stated above. Unfortunately, this really is a game where George could get found out and his use of the ball is getting better, but its not going to be enough tomorrow. A bit of height and experience is needed in the midfield. I believe Vetokele  will be coming back in for Parker too. We are going to need players who can battle, a side who can still play and create, but one who can match them for aggression and football know-how. I do think we can get a result, again though this is going to be tight.

Phillips
    Solly Bauer Sarr Purrington
    Cullen
    Pratley Aribo
    Reeves
    Taylor Vetokele

Maxwell, Dijksteel, Pearce, Lapslie, Fosu, Marshall, Parker

Bristol Rovers 0-1 Charlton Athletic
    Taylor
    The change I would make to that team is Dijksteel in for Solly for the reasons you give. He was also rested Tuesday so should be 100% ready.
  • Options
    A question for those far better at stats than myself. How many times this season has a Charlton player scored more than once in a league game? 
  • Options
    A question for those far better at stats than myself. How many times this season has a Charlton player scored more than once in a league game? 
    Grant v Plymouth and Barnsley (2-Goals)
    Aribo v Scunthorpe (2-Goals)

Also Phillips hasn't conceded more than one goal per League game this season
  • Options

Thanks mate, appreciate that. 

Phillips firmly deserves this long run in starting line up. Aware that those at the game on Tuesday we’re all very unhappy with his kicking, but we can’t have any complaints over his shot stopping this season. 
    Interestingly we've only lost three games with Phillips in goal (Sunderland | Peterborough | Fleetwood)

W8 | D7 is the rest of his stats with four of those draws being clean sheets
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Sage said:
    Bristol Rovers play a flat 4-4-2 with one of the strikers dropping into the number ten role to get in between the lines, sometimes dropping into midfield or out wide to be harder to break down. They’ve only conceded 37 goals all season, the same amount as us. Their problem has been scoring goals this season, but with Clarke-Harris up front, they’ve got a player who can find the net in this division if given the chance, 6 goals in his last 5 appearances. They have a couple of players who played for Shrewsbury last season and we know how organised and aggressive they were. Bristol Rovers also have a couple of ex-Millwall players, Ed Upson and Tony Craig, again both physical. I fully expect tomorrow to be a tough game, one where we have to match the battle in horrible conditions before we impose our own game onto them. If we manage to do that, we give ourselves a chance of winning the game, but this is not going to be easy.

Form wise, it's currently very similar between us and Bristol Rovers. Looking specifically at our last 6 games each, Bristol Rovers have picked up 11 points with three wins, two draws and a loss, scoring eight, conceding only four. Our last 6 games have given us 12 points, with three wins and three draws, scoring eight and conceding five. Since we played and beat Bristol Rovers back in November, we have played 19 games picking up 35 points. Whereas, they have picked up 25 points in 17 games, not bad for a team struggling at the wrong end of the table. Bristol Rovers have only lost twice in their last 14 league games, winning seven and drawing five, scoring nineteen and conceding an impressive ten goals. That means they've scored two more and conceded two less in the same time frame. However, a key stat that also needs to be brought up other than Bristol Rovers excellent recent form, is that they actually have the worst home record in the league with only 17 points from their 18 home league games and winning only once at home this calendar year.

This is going to be a really tough game, one where the conditions are going to play a huge part in proceedings and one where we must be prepared to battle. They are far better than they were when we played them in November. The pitch is heavy, this will be our third game in a week and we have a couple of players injured that will be key to our midfield, especially for an away game, at home we can get away with playing such an attacking midfield, at Bristol Rovers, we will not have that luxury.

Regarding personnel, this is a game where I can again see Dijksteel coming in for Solly at right back again. Being a physical side it would not surprise me at all. However, with a long break coming up, Bows could decide it will be fine with Solly at right back and will be able to cope. Pratley needs to be ahead of the young Lapslie for the reasons stated above. Unfortunately, this really is a game where George could get found out and his use of the ball is getting better, but its not going to be enough tomorrow. A bit of height and experience is needed in the midfield. I believe Vetokele  will be coming back in for Parker too. We are going to need players who can battle, a side who can still play and create, but one who can match them for aggression and football know-how. I do think we can get a result, again though this is going to be tight.

Phillips
    Solly Bauer Sarr Purrington
    Cullen
    Pratley Aribo
    Reeves
    Taylor Vetokele

Maxwell, Dijksteel, Pearce, Lapslie, Fosu, Marshall, Parker

Bristol Rovers 0-1 Charlton Athletic
    Taylor
    The change I would make to that team is Dijksteel in for Solly for the reasons you give. He was also rested Tuesday so should be 100% ready.
    I do agree and as said wouldn’t be surprised at all. For the physical games we have seen Anfernee come in, hence playing both games against Portsmouth.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Thanks mate, appreciate that. 

Phillips firmly deserves this long run in starting line up. Aware that those at the game on Tuesday we’re all very unhappy with his kicking, but we can’t have any complaints over his shot stopping this season. 
    Interestingly we've only lost three games with Phillips in goal (Sunderland | Peterborough | Fleetwood)

W8 | D7 is the rest of his stats with four of those draws being clean sheets
    Interestingly, out of the 8 wins we have had when Phillips is in goal, we have only kept 2 clean sheets, Shrewsbury away and Accrington Stanley at home, both in January. Whereas in the 11 wins when Steer was in goal, he kept 6 clean sheets. Not that it matters much at all.
  • Options
    Thats stats for you.
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:
    I think it’s a decoy.... my luton mate at a service station earlier sent me this.....

Didn't take them long to stop if they were at Cobham......unless the team coach took the supporters coach route & went via Bromley, Bexleyheath & Dartford 
  • Options
    Comfortable away win.....0-4
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:

Didn't take them long to stop if they were at Cobham......unless the team coach took the supporters coach route & went via Bromley, Bexleyheath & Dartford 
    Correct. It was Cobham.
  • Options
    Would be good to keep the run going.

Parker not Vetokele please. More physical, wins headers and runs about.

0.1 Charlton (Parker tap in from Taylor assist on 74 mins)

• Options
    edited March 2019
    They can’t win at home but neither do they concede many. It’s going to be a tough battle for both sides and we’ll need players that are willing to get stuck in.

I can see a one nil going either way. Scrappy goal from a corner decides it.
  • Options
    Given Rovers current form I’ll be happy with a draw.
  • Options
    Bristol Rovers v Charlton Athletic
    Saturday 16th March 2019 ... 3pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Dean Whitestone (Northamptonshire)

Prediction
    Under the current coaching staff we're witnessing a Charlton who refuse to accept defeat in a way that we've not seen since under Chris Powell's stewardship... In recent years; Bristol Rovers have been a side who have ruined our promotion hopes and could prove troublesome this time again. With a week off coming up, you'd hope that we see the display of a side knowing they're about to have a break, rather than already on that break
    You tease FA!! Prediction?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Easy 3 to 0 victory, chasing down Barnsley.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    cafc_se7 said:

Not totally sure what night game it was, think it was Wycombe in the 2011/12 promotion season when the coach we got from Bexleyheath had come up from Bexhill. It then stopped early into our journey at Clacketts Lane services never mind Cobham which I don't think had been opened at that time. The driver was legally obliged to take a break IIRC. Needless to say we had to bail out of the coach near the ground in that 'one road in one road out nightmare of a location' and leg it to just about make the kick off :rage:
  • Options
    Nervous for this one. Our away form is notably inferior to our home and I’m feeling that in non-idealistic conditions this could be a game we could have done without. We need that rest and recharge I think. 

If we eek out a win today I’ll be surprised and impressed
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Horses for courses this afternoon, not worth risking any of the 50/50 injured/fit players. Start with Pratley and make full use of the bench where the likes of Pearce, Marshall and Lapslie, if he doesn't start, have a big role to play. Donny drawing last night means we don't have to win, forget automatics. COYRs
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Horses for courses this afternoon, not worth risking any of the 50/50 injured/fit players. Start with Pratley and make full use of the bench where the likes of Pearce, Marshall and Lapslie, if he doesn't start, have a big role to play. Donny drawing last night means we don't have to win, forget automatics. COYRs
    Interesting you mention Donny drawing means we don’t have to win though....we were closer to Barnsley before last night than we were Doncaster so why should we forget automatics?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    cafc_se7 said:
    RedChaser said:
    Interesting you mention Donny drawing means we don’t have to win though....we were closer to Barnsley before last night than we were Doncaster so why should we forget automatics?
    We've got to win all our remaining games which is a very tough ask albeit not a mathematical impossibility. As we would need our best 11 to take the field (Williams is definitely out) every game I just don't think it is worth gambling on playing Bielik or Aribo if they are not 100%. If we win today great the two week break will help recharge batteries and we go again but the automatics will take care of themselves so when I say forget them what I really mean is let's take one game at a time.
  • Options
    They can’t win at home but neither do they concede many. It’s going to be a tough battle for both sides and we’ll need players that are willing to get stuck in.

I can see a one nil going either way. Scrappy goal from a corner decides it.
    We’re the form team for set pieces, so should be us :-:smiley:
  • Options
    Accrington vs Rochdale postponed already due to a waterlogged pitch. A local derby too, so it's not as if they had a take an early decision to help the away fans!

Bury vs Cambridge in L2 also off as are a number of NLN games
  • Options
    Accrington vs Rochdale postponed already due to a waterlogged pitch. A local derby too, so it's not as if they had a take an early decision to help the away fans!

Bury vs Cambridge in L2 also off as are a number of NLN games
    Not at all surprised the rain in the North West has been pretty frequent over the last week and heavy downpours forecast for this afternoon.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Bristol Rovers to win 2-0 on a heavy pitch against a weary Charlton.

The boys looked jaded 2nd half on Tuesday night and With Williams, Bielik and Aribo potentially missing, I can't see the grafters of Lapslie and Pratley with Reeves iffy away form getting to grips with Rovers. Cullen can't do it all on his own 

The two week without a game and the players having 4 days off will do then good before they bounce back with a resounding win against Bradford.