Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

League One Promotion Stats

Here are some interesting stats relating to League One.

Average promotion points. 1st 93.5, 2nd 86.7, 3rd 82.7, 4th 79.7, 5th 77.2, 6th 74.5

The most points for second place is 94 (Brentford in 13/14). The most points to miss out on second place was the year we won the title 90 by Sheffield United (they lost the play off final to Huddersfield).

We can reach 93 points if we win all of our remaining games.

Comments

• That's a hell of a big if though, much as we'd all like it.
  • No chance we will win all our remaining games. 
  • I have us down for 16 points out of the remaining 27/9 games. Putting us on 82.

With both Barnsley & Sunderland only really needing just over 1 point per game to pip us I don't see us doing so. We'd need to repeat the feat of 97/98 season where we won 8 out of the last 9, the 9th game being a draw, can we win 8 on the spin? I can't see it.

• edited March 2019
    I have a feeling we won't win tomorrow, but if we win our next three, we might start looking at these stats with more interest.
  • No chance we will win all our remaining games. 
    That's the spirit!
  • Rob7Lee said:

I have us down for 16 points out of the remaining 27/9 games. Putting us on 82.

With both Barnsley & Sunderland only really needing just over 1 point per game to pip us I don't see us doing so. We'd need to repeat the feat of 97/98 season where we won 8 out of the last 9, the 9th game being a draw, can we win 8 on the spin? I can't see it.

That would mean 11 wins and 4 draws in the last 15 games of season. (already 3 wins 3 draws last 6 games)

Massive ask
  • If Barnsley lose tonight and we manage a win tomorrow then it'll be five points behind which is definitely catchable.
  • Chizz said:
    No chance we will win all our remaining games. 
    That's the spirit!
    Nothing to do with spirit, just plain facts, happy to eat humble pie on it but I think I will go hungry. 
  • It’s gonna be tough.

Even if we close the gap on Barnsley to five this weekend, I suspect Sunderland will beat Walsall and then the gap to them is likely to be seven.
  • Interesting stats but not sure it means too much. Last season the PL winners got 100, but when Leicester won it was only 81. In 16-17 season, Blackburn got relegated to League 1 with 51 points but last season Bolton stayed up with 43. These things change every year. Think what's more important is that Barnsley and Sunderland are getting an average of pretty much 2 points per game which means it'll be about 92 points needed for 2nd.  There's a good chance one of them could have a bad spell and end on less than that but not both of them. To have any chance of top 2, we'd simply have to win every game to give us a realistic chance of it (that would give us 93 points). Sadly top 2 isn't happening for us, unless Barnsley and Sunderland both completely collapse.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sunderland have lost just 2 games this season, it seems really unlikely they'll have a bad run of defeats now
  • Chizz said:
    That's the spirit!
    Nothing to do with spirit, just plain facts, happy to eat humble pie on it but I think I will go hungry. 
    "Plain facts" or "opinion"? 
  • Sunderland have lost just 2 games this season, it seems really unlikely they'll have a bad run of defeats now

But they have drawn a hell of a lot.  I still think it's possible to catch them (but probably not Barnsley)
  • Whats not helping Barnsley is the fact that Kieffer Moore has been out with concussion

If he remains out for the season (which was possible when I first read about the injury) then it could mess things up for them
    In that case, 1 defeat will have more of an impact on them and they’ll do a spurs with an end of season choke 
  • 0-0 HT but Barnsley look pretty average tonight. Being generous there.
  • edited March 2019
    Barnsley missing two key players Jacob Brown and Cameron McGeehan both remain suspended, plus Kieffer Moore out for the season and Dougall gone off. Makeshift side who could have been two or three down and then should've scored on the break.
  • I think it highlights how impressive we were in the opening stages against Doncaster the other week as we completely played them off the park - Tonight though they're making Barnsley look average yet Donny themselves look powderpuff in attack.

The overlying problem with trying to catch second is the fact that bar the top eight / nine teams the rest are very ordinary (proven by the gap from 12th to 24th) - Because of that cant see any of us dropping enough points to the best of the rest for there to be any drastic change, that'll solely come from the limited games between those playing each other.

Of course those trying to avoid relegation will fight for every point but for the post part will struggle to point up points against the top teams (Unless of course their name is: Charlton)
  • edited March 2019
    Blatant Penalty there for Barnsley CB Pinnock had his shirt taken off his back! Corner given Lols.
  • If Barnsley limp to the end of the season, it would be ideal if they get caught by Sunderland and finish 3rd. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Barnsley still 0-0 going into the last 10 mins
  • It is unlikely we win all our remaining games and come second... but not impossible !
  • edited March 2019
    FT 0-0 Better 2nd half from Barnsley their keeper and Captain Davies made some crucial saves his 19th clean sheet of the season notwithstanding some poor distribution. I wonder if his fans mark him down like some of ours do Phillips :open_mouth:.
  • RedChaser said:
    FT 0-0 Better 2nd half from Barnsley their keeper and Captain Davies made some crucial saves his 19th clean sheet of the season notwithstanding some poor distribution. I wonder if his fans mark him down like some of ours do Phillips :open_mouth:.
    19 clean sheets is an impressive tally. We’ve kept 11 clean sheets in league this year, but that’s with different keepers. 
  • Our inferior goal difference is a point unless we start tonking sides.
  • edited March 2019
    RedChaser said:
    19 clean sheets is an impressive tally. We’ve kept 11 clean sheets in league this year, but that’s with different keepers. 
    Don't know if you watched it but he passed straight to Marquis twice in true Thuram v QPR style! Our lot would have gone into meltdown on the players marks notwithstanding the seven or eight top saves he made to earn his side a point.
  • RedChaser said:
    Impressive as that matches the amount of clean sheets achieved by Ben Hamer when we won League One

And wasnt that a record for a Charlton Goalkeeper?
  • RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Don't know if you watched it but he passed straight to Marquis twice in true Thuram v QPR style! Our lot would have gone into meltdown on the players marks notwithstanding the seven or eight top saves he made to earn his side a point.
    Didn’t watch it, but yes imagine 15 pages of post match thread would have been about poor kicking rather than outstanding saves 
  • RedChaser said:
    Impressive as that matches the amount of clean sheets achieved by Ben Hamer when we won League One

And wasnt that a record for a Charlton Goalkeeper?
    Hamer had his critics as well someone the other day said his distribution was good but dodgy doing the bread and butter stuff. I know one thing he made some worldies to see us on to victory late in the away games v Leeds (league) and Wendies (cup) to name but a few.
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    That's the spirit!
    "Plain facts" or "opinion"? 
    I would say facts as I cannot remember the last time we won 9 consecutive games. If it was when we won the League 1 Championship this team are not a patch on that team.