Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anyone still do the Pools?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Addickted said:
    My Nan won £1400 on the pools in 1969.

What a Christmas that was. Got a go-kart and a Johnny 7.
    A Johnny what???
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxiwW5QBQNc&bpctr=1552850895
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Addickted said:

A Johnny what???
    I so wanted one of those when I was a kid!  :)
    If you’ve still got it, can I have a go?  :|
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I gave up doing the pools years ago, I have a man come in and clean them twice a year now.  :)
  • Options
    adrian said:
    Won approx. £3200 on Swiss Pools in the fifties when I was'nt yet 18.  Never stopped since.
    Won £530 on Vernons in London in 1961.
    Won £1550 on Zetters, in 1985.
    Won £490,000 on French Pools in 1989 (jackpot, only one to guess 13 correct results in France)
    Won £305,000 on French Pools in 1994 (only two of us to guess the 13 correct results)
    The following year was my last decent win : £66,000 
    Nowadays, when in London, I'm lucky when I have 2 correct out of 7 in an acca.
    Which is why I don't dare guess a Charlton score any more

Wow 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    adrian said:
    Won approx. £3200 on Swiss Pools in the fifties when I was'nt yet 18.  Never stopped since.
    Won £490,000 on French Pools in 1989 (jackpot, only one to guess 13 correct results in France)
    Won £305,000 on French Pools in 1994 (only two of us to guess the 13 correct results)

Wow 
    That is truly impressive  :)
  • Options
    Someone I knew was part of a syndicate where he worked in the late 70s/early 80s and they got quite a big win - big enough for him to move out of his council flat and get a mortgage (and he was in his late 60s at this point!). I think the lottery offers a lot more of the whole get a life-changing amount for a small fee with little chance of winning and I don't know anyone who does the pools anymore
  • Options
    I recall the lady who won and said she'd 'spend, spend, spend'.  Googling those words brings up the name Viv Nicholson, remember her?  Never bought the poor woman any happiness .
  • Options
    I recall the lady who won and said she'd 'spend, spend, spend'.  Googling those words brings up the name Viv Nicholson, remember her?  Never bought the poor woman any happiness .
    The BBC series Play for Today made a superb drama of her story in the 70's called Spend! Spend! Spend! I remember her characters final line saying the ironic thing was she didn't even win, it was her husband. 
  • Options
    adrian said:

You twice correctly guessed 13 results and all you got was a total of £800k ? Any of you mathematicians out there know what the odds are of guessing 13 results correctly ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    adrian said:

You twice correctly guessed 13 results and all you got was a total of £800k ? Any of you mathematicians out there know what the odds are of guessing 13 results correctly ?
    Based on match odds, 13 results at Evens = 8191/1 - at 6/4 = 149,010/1

So depending on the stake, £800k looks pretty good!
  • Options
    In France, the possibility to play the odds or accas was only introduced about 15 years ago.
    As in today's Lotto or Euromillions, amounts distributed depended solely on number of correct guesses.
    To complete the story, for the first jackpot win, I was glued to the spanish radio because I was on 10 out of 10 a few minutes from the end.  Saragossa drew, that made it 11, then Atalanta drew two all with Inter, that made it 12.  It looked good for the last game because I had a win or draw for Osasuna against Real and
    Osasuna were leading 1-0.  Then, pitch invasion, game interrupted and abandoned.
    I had therefore 2x13, which gave me more because less taxes had been deducted. Not that it mattered much.
    After all those years, the money is now all gone.
    However, I did buy a flat in Paris after the first win and a pharmacy for my wife with the second.  Had to sell
    the flat to save the pharmacy (we had been cheated), which allowed us to live in relative ease for 20 years. 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Adrian, must have been great moments when you won all those.  :)
    We used to do a syndicate at work many years ago. Every week I was convinced we would win. I think we won about £10 once. Worked out 1.48 each!
    Good times... :)

• Options
    My dad used to do the pools for years, and spot the ball too in the off season.  I'd help pick the games when I was a kid.  I can't have been much use, he never won more than a tenner!

I suppose the national lottery pretty much killed it.
  • Options
    adrian said:

Surely you could have got a top notch Private Detective in Blackpool for that?!?
  • Options
    Did it for many years with only minimal returns - but always enjoyed the checking on Saturday evening.  Think the National Lottery killed it.  "The Football Pools" was relaunched a year or two back as an App.  I signed up and gave it a go but the App was awful - lots of bugs ad difficult to use.  Gave up...
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Addickted said:

A Johnny what???
    My cousin had one of those, mid-1960s. Used to have a go. Our little sisters were terrified.

• Options
    My neighbours in St Paul’s Cray won the jackpot. In those days it was about 250k. The guy who collected the money had pocketed their 37.5p and they never saw a penny. The Sun newspaper camped on the green outside our house, but our neighbours had moved away for a while. Was front page news back then, about 1970 I think. The two eldest sons tried to track the collector down to ‘ break every bone’, but they never found him.