Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Have you ever been misinformed about a Charlton Result ...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Cheers @MrOneLung

Must have been one of the last times that Fish and Rufus played together as didnt Curbs mention in his book that both were struggling with illness during that game? - According to Wiki; Rufus played his last game for us on the 21st April that year against Liverpool so just 16-days after that heavy loss

Those two could so easily have been one of our best Centre-Back pairings!! - Certainly in the Premier League era
  • Options
    It was around 1990 I think. We were playing Brighton at Selhurst park and were leading 1-0 as teletext was flicking over. It got to about 5pm and still said 1-0 so I went and had dinner rejoicing that we had beaten them (never liked them!). Anyway, go the paper on the sunday and found out we'd lost 2-1 with Brighton scoring twice in injury time. Teletext had never updated!!!

Gutted!!
  • Options
    drewman said:
    Back in about 2003 I picked up a French newspaper whilst in Paris to find out our result and read Charlton 1 Leeds 6. Must be a typo I thought, we'd have won 1-0.
    Im sure that was grand national day.
    we were 1 or 2 down when I went to the concourse to get a beer and watch the race. When I got back to my seat we were 5-1 down,
  • Options
    Over the years I have often been misinformed that I had purchased a ticket to a game of football...   Does that count?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Not misinformed, but - was in the British Club, Cairo waiting for the play off final to begin against Sunderland, had been avoiding the result because the whole game was to be shown, but 3 hours delay. Some geezer come in rabbiting about it 20 mins before kick off, I turned my back and Ms Sunbury explained why and who I supported, so he stopped talking about the game, which was nice, I turned round and he gave me a great big smile and thumbs up - ffs
  • Options
    Not me personally but many years ago we played away at Norwich. A mate was so drunk he clearly had no idea what had happened late in the game, as when we're walking back to the station feeling completely pissed off, he goes "well that wasn't a bad 0-0". 

We'd lost 1-0.
  • Options
    Cheers @MrOneLung

Must have been one of the last times that Fish and Rufus played together as didnt Curbs mention in his book that both were struggling with illness during that game? - According to Wiki; Rufus played his last game for us on the 21st April that year against Liverpool so just 16-days after that heavy loss

Those two could so easily have been one of our best Centre-Back pairings!! - Certainly in the Premier League era
    Should have been nothing to worry about - did you see who our third sub was? 

Ahem....
  • Options
    Not misinformed so much as disconnected. About 2000, was keeping tabs on Charlton away at Coventry in the FA Cup, no internet in my rented flat at the time so just occasional waits for Ceefax to tick around.  Sky Blues 2 nil up a good way into first half.  Based on our pony record in cups I didn't stay glued to Ceefax for the rest of the afternoon but took up a booty call, which saw me miss MOTD that night too (insert your own 'scoring' gag here).  Early morning Sunday flight to Italy and I didn't see an English Sunday paper until returning to hotel after dinner Monday night.  No idea before then that Johnny Robinson, Shaun Newton and Andy Hunt had scored to propel the Addicks into the 6th round and a dreary defeat at the Reebok.
  • Options
    I came round after eye surgery and my son told me we'd drawn 0-0 with Man U.  The neighbour who'd used my ticket to take my son to the game told me the real score: 3-3.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I came round after eye surgery and my son told me we'd drawn 0-0 with Man U.  The neighbour who'd used my ticket to take my son to the game told me the real score: 3-3.
    quite easy to miss 6 goals ...
  • Options
    There are some classics on here.

My best one wasn't Charlton related, it was the local A-League team here, the Brisbane Roar who were hosting the A-League Grand Final against Central Coast.

They were red-hot favorites but with the game into extra-time Central Coast scored twice in quick succession to take a 2-0 lead and it looked all over.

There were 50,000 people there and I had my two boys, aged seven and five, and my 67 year old Dad who wasn't that mobile.

"Come on then, that's that, let's beat the crowds and get out of here," I said.

Both the boys protested fiercely - still believing their heroes could pull it off - but I said no way and we walked back up to Roma Street train station which was about a 20 minute walk.

We get to the station and get on the train and it didn't move, just sat there way past the planned departure time.

I saw a guard and asked him, "What's happening with the train mate? What's the hold-up?"

"We are holding it for the football crowd, they'll all be down here in a minute, they're all going mental apparently."

"What for? They lost 2-0, we were only just there," I said.

"No mate," he replied, "They came back and drew 2-2 and won on penalties."

Sure enough within a few minutes the train was packed with ecstatic Brisbane fans - including loads of gleeful young kids with their Dad's who'd just seen the comeback of a lifetime - whilst my two boys looked at me like I'd just invited Jimmy Savile to their birthday party.

It sure was a long train ride home.
  • Options

My best one wasn't Charlton related, it was the local A-League team here, the Brisbane Roar who were hosting the A-League Grand Final against Central Coast.

They were red-hot favorites but with the game into extra-time Central Coast scored twice in quick succession to take a 2-0 lead and it looked all over.

There were 50,000 people there and I had my two boys, aged seven and five, and my 67 year old Dad who wasn't that mobile.

Both the boys protested fiercely - still believing their heroes could pull it off - but I said no way and we walked back up to Roma Street train station which was about a 20 minute walk.

We get to the station and get on the train and it didn't move, just sat there way past the planned departure time.

I saw a guard and asked him, "What's happening with the train mate? What's the hold-up?"

"We are holding it for the football crowd, they'll all be down here in a minute, they're all going mental apparently."

Sure enough within a few minutes the train was packed with ecstatic Brisbane fans - including loads of gleeful young kids with their Dad's who'd just seen the comeback of a lifetime - whilst my two boys looked at me like I'd just invited Jimmy Savile to their birthday party.

Moral of this story....never ever, under any circumstance, leave a game before the final whistle. 
  • Options
    quite easy to miss 6 goals ...
    He was only seven at the time, but still...
  • Options

Moral of this story....never ever, under any circumstance, leave a game before the final whistle. 
    We were 3-0 down to Reading at half-time a few years ago, I left in disgust at how shambolic we were.  When I got home, I saw that the Arsenal loanee we had had scored a hat-trick but we'd still lost 4-3.