Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

madonna & co

personally i think this latest 'adopt an african baby' is ?????????????????? i really can't think of the right word.
don't get me wrong the kids that get adopted and shipped off to an obvious better life are indeed lucky. but if these stars are so committed to helping these children, why dont they look at the slightly bigger picture.
by 'adopting' these children they effectively become their parents. parenting is a full time job. why dont these stars, madonna for instance instead of taking on the full time job (probably paying nannies to do jobs anyway etc) why doesn't she include 2 or 3 dates of her tours and donate the profits from these concerts to set up health programs/orphanages/education etc in these countries.
i'm am in no way a fan of her music, yet surely if she isn't touring she could still do these shows (3x1 days work) at stadiums in the uk, us, and japan.they would definately sell out.

Comments

• Options
    very good call. Jolie, Madonna etc

They're not going to raise the kids, their assortment of nannies and personal assistants will. Kid may be lavished with clothes and gifts, but it cries of a hollow publicity stunt to me rather than a sharing of love.

Or am i being too cynical ?
  • Options
    If you've more money than sense, you probably believe you're doing good by doing that kind of thing.

Saw some charity woman on the news this morning saying sponsorship is the way to go.
  • Options
    personally i think you are all being too polite. This is a pitifully sick publicity stunt. She could afford to kit out every ophanage in Malawi with supplies for years but prefers to just take one of the occupants. she should be being roundly condemned by everyone.
  • Options
    Probably, but there's probably also charities rubbing their hands at this, since it means a bit more publicity for their cause, and it brings a topic into the spotlight which would normally be glossed over. Clearly, she's a stupid cow, but if it leads to (say) 300 more people sponsoring kids in Malawi, then it can't all be bad.
  • Options
    The money that will get spent on that one kid, could probably feed a whole African village for a year, as well as pay for other projects (water, buildings etc). That's the bigger picture, and surely more worthy of her money.....
  • Options
    but at the end of the day, playing devils advocate here, its alright for us to criticise, but i can see too many of us sponsoring an african village etc. if we ever made it big.

I wouldn't.
  • Options
    The thing is think of all the money that gets donated from other charities. Live 8 for example, look at all the money that was generated from that & apparently they've not even recieved all of it yet. Its all well and good doing all this but how helpful is it all at the end of the day? I know these people are poor & have near on nothing but Comic Relief for example has been going for around 20yrs now. Where does all the money go? I would have thought many of those in poverty now would have a much better standard of living. 10-20 million per year would go a hell of a long way out there.
    Apologies if this sounds arrogant to some, its not meant to be in anyway.
  • Options
    [cite] AFKA Bartram:[/cite]but at the end of the day, playing devils advocate here, its alright for us to criticise, but i can see too many of us sponsoring an african village etc. if we ever made it big.

I wouldn't.

Precisely, I think it is shallow to criticise her for adopting a child - that's one child going to have a much better life and even more importantly hundreds of other kids who probably benefit through extra sponsorship. Good on her.

PS She may, or may not, do many other good deeds for those communities and choose to keep this private.
  • Options
    having a good bitch is much more fun though :-)
  • Options
    I've read that she's bought the kid a rocking horse for 5k....why not spend it on supplies for his village?....a sick trend if you ask me.