Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jarred Gillett (Australian Referee)

2»

Comments

• Options
    I just wonder how he's going to adapt to the language barrier.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

how is he going to find time to study, referee and be our new CEO?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    be no worries on that score mate
  • Options
    PeterGage said:
    Thought Id create its own thread yet interestingly; Jarred Gillett (A-League referee) is going to become the first Referee from abroad to join the list of Championship officials from next season

In his last game in Australia he was hooked up to a mic so he could be heared - Now might be difficult to have it for non Televised games but how simple does it make it for everyone to understand whats going on

Part of me would settle for getting this feature in Football over VAR!!

@PeterGage as someone who has been involved in this side of the game Id be curious to get your views on this?
    A couple of random thoughts and information.

The concept of miking up a referee was trialled, I believe for one game in the late 70s, involving Arsenal (in the Tony Adams era) and I think the referee may have been David Ellery.

The trial was abandoned after just one game because of the level and frequency of swearing. I think most fans were genuinely shocked at that frequency and the level of disrespect shown by players to the match officials. Fans couldnt understand why the referee didnt taken action.

So far as the question of "miking up " referees, I am in agreement in principle but I can see some potential flaws. I am in agreement because we are living in a more transparent society where members of the public have the expectation of "information share". It may also take out some of the mystique out of refereeing and make supporters aware of the degree of difficulty of refereeing.

On the impractical side, it is difficult, if not impossible, to speak during open play whilst  running at speed to keep up with play. Therefore the timing and frequency of explanations needs to be carefully considered.

As a slight aside, I like the idea of referees changing countries to referee domestically within. It broadens the experience of referees and could improve the level of refereeing in this country if and when we dont have sufficient referees on the right standard coming through our domestic system.

The game you are talking  about was in 1989 Millwall vs Arsenal
    Still remember Adams sprinting after Ellery screaming "You're a cheat!!! You're a cheat!!!" or something along those lines. On YouTube somewhere I'm sure