Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Forster-Caskey edging closer to return

"Some minutes for the U23s is not too far away. The plan next week is for me to be reintegrated into training with some non-contact and then I'll be playing an U23 game."
https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5c94efdaa7a51/forster-caskey-edging-closer-to-return

Comments

• What wasn't mentioned in that article was his contract situation...
  • Wonder if it'll be the Rochdale game and then the Play-Offs that he'll be potentially involved in
  • edited March 2019
    What wasn't mentioned in that article was his contract situation...
    Probably because the article wasn't about his contract it was about being close to returning.

It'd be great to have JFC available even if only on the bench he's a goal scorer and one of the few people you think could actually come off the bench and score a goal.
  • good news but who writes those reports, an eight year old? Don't they read them back before posting them up? Eight spelt 'wight' twice and 'it' with a capital I in the middle of a sentence. Very sloppy and very unprofessional.
    I agree , most of the reports written are pretty bang average at best. You only have to look at the match reports , twitter updates - they can’t even get goal scorers correct. The whole set up needs investment, better focus and a degree of consistency. 
  • edited March 2019
    Big fan of JFC, and delighted to hear that he’s almost back to full fitness. IMO he is the best set piece taker and goal scoring midfield at the club.

I can’t see Bowyer and Jacko doing anything silly and taking any risks with him. If he can get 2/3 matches under his belt it will be a bonus for himself and the club. Especially, allowing us to rest some of our squad for the PO.
  • Being fit to take part in pre season is surely the only target. Anything more would be foolish.
    As his contract expires at the end of this season there is the possibility that he won't be here next season .
    Hopefully he will make a full recovery and be offered a new contract. 
  • Sponsored links:

• good news but who writes those reports, an eight year old? Don't they read them back before posting them up? Eight spelt 'wight' twice and 'it' with a capital I in the middle of a sentence. Very sloppy and very unprofessional.
    The club is probably short-staffed in every area, a situation which may be reflected in the quality of the work they do?......

As for the news, I'm very happy for JFC. Just hope he isn't rushing back.
    good news but who writes those reports, an eight year old? Don't they read them back before posting them up? Eight spelt 'wight' twice and 'it' with a capital I in the middle of a sentence. Very sloppy and very unprofessional.
    I agree , most of the reports written are pretty bang average at best. You only have to look at the match reports , twitter updates - they can’t even get goal scorers correct. The whole set up needs investment, better focus and a degree of consistency. 

sorry but it takes less than a minute to re-read that and correct it before publishing it. Should be a matter of personal pride in your work as much as anything.
    Agreed (I see the article has been corrected). It's not as if Friday afternoon when there's no game for a week is a busy time anyway when you have to issue everything at breakneck speed
  • Wonder if it'll be the Rochdale game and then the Play-Offs that he'll be potentially involved in
    JFC winner in the play-off final?
  • Cannot see any point in rushing him back,we have plenty of cover in midfield and the only intention should be to get him fit for next season.
  • It looks like wight for eight has been corrected. 'notplay' in the 2nd mini paragraph is another example and the capital I in it is still there.

It is a bit nit picky but I get your point. 
  • Rob said:
    It looks like wight for eight has been corrected. 'notplay' in the 2nd mini paragraph is another example and the capital I in it is still there.

It is a bit nit picky but I get your point. 
    It's not exactly asking for much that basic errors are corrected.
    I genuinely don’t think I’ve read a match report on the official site since Charlton Life was invented.
  • Sage said:
    Forster-Caskey has been ahead of schedule for a good while, since around Christmas he has really kicked on. It’s a huge credit to himself and the work he has put in.

Being outside, running and changing direction, kicking the ball are all great things and little milestones.

I said a long time ago now that we wouldn’t see him this season and anything before is us rushing him back. However, as his development has gone so well and far better and quicker than anyone thought it would. There is now a real chance, a very good chance, we will see him this season.

The one thing we have to be cautious of is when he is back playing for the U23s and in normal training, there is a high likelihood he will pick up another injury, such as hamstring, calf or groin. It’s completely normal. The body has been working so much on strengthening a specific area for so long, it’s almost a shock to the structures in close proximity. I have no doubt he would have been working on other aspects and parts but naturally the work would be to his knee.

If he can get through training and U23s without an injury, we could see him in the squad against Scunthorpe at home/Gillingham away/Rochdale at home. It could be that soon.

I am really excited to have him back. Forster-Caskey, Cullen, Aribo, Bielik, Williams, Reeves, Fosu. You won’t find another midfield as strong as that in this division. Could be that extra added boost just before heading into the play-offs that we need. Life and football works in funny ways, it could be Forster-Caskey who scores the winner for promotion. 
    The stuttery way Billy Clarke returned from his related injury shows that it doesn't pay to expect too much

It's not as if we NEED JFC back this season, it's in a position where we are pretty strong, indeed I imagine Cullen was signed to directly replace JFC

We do need to sort out his contract situation though, I'm sure he'd want to security of a contract for next year after a bad injury which should help
  • Sage said:
    Forster-Caskey has been ahead of schedule for a good while, since around Christmas he has really kicked on. It’s a huge credit to himself and the work he has put in.

Being outside, running and changing direction, kicking the ball are all great things and little milestones.

I said a long time ago now that we wouldn’t see him this season and anything before is us rushing him back. However, as his development has gone so well and far better and quicker than anyone thought it would. There is now a real chance, a very good chance, we will see him this season.

The one thing we have to be cautious of is when he is back playing for the U23s and in normal training, there is a high likelihood he will pick up another injury, such as hamstring, calf or groin. It’s completely normal. The body has been working so much on strengthening a specific area for so long, it’s almost a shock to the structures in close proximity. I have no doubt he would have been working on other aspects and parts but naturally the work would be to his knee.

If he can get through training and U23s without an injury, we could see him in the squad against Scunthorpe at home/Gillingham away/Rochdale at home. It could be that soon.

I am really excited to have him back. Forster-Caskey, Cullen, Aribo, Bielik, Williams, Reeves, Fosu. You won’t find another midfield as strong as that in this division. Could be that extra added boost just before heading into the play-offs that we need. Life and football works in funny ways, it could be Forster-Caskey who scores the winner for promotion. 
    The stuttery way Billy Clarke returned from his related injury shows that it doesn't pay to expect too much

It's not as if we NEED JFC back this season, it's in a position where we are pretty strong, indeed I imagine Cullen was signed to directly replace JFC

We do need to sort out his contract situation though, I'm sure he'd want to security of a contract for next year after a bad injury which should help
    I don’t think Bowyer rated Clarke which affected his return to fitness, plus he was out longer than JFC. 

Dont agree we don’t need him back. Every little helps and he is a very good player. We may have a lot of CMs but few who can chip in with goals and Cullen is not like for like at all. 
  • Sage said:

There are a lot of factors that influence each players return. Their injuries may have been similar but that doesn’t mean their return will be.

Clarke suffered an ACL injury on his other knee previously in his career. The injury was mid-season and he is a good few years older than Forster-Caskey. Whereas, Jake’s was at the very beginning of the season after he had come through a really good pre-season. Looking sharp and probably the best he had felt for a while. This would mean his body was actually in the best condition to get injured if there is ever a time to get injured. His structures would have been strong which aids the rehabilitation. The warm weather would have helped too, in comparison to Clarke’s ACL in the winter.

I don’t think playing him at the end of the season would be rushing him back or foolish anymore. They know what they’re doing and have done a great job. I really look forward to seeing him back in the squad in around 4, maybe 5 weeks time.

His contract situation will take care of itself in due course. I would assume he will sign a new deal in May.
  • Sponsored links:

• Forster-Caskey is a great player for us at this level. Seeing him and Aribo play together before the end of the season could be a delight to watch (assuming Joe's off in the summer)
  • se9addick said:
    good news but who writes those reports, an eight year old? Don't they read them back before posting them up? Eight spelt 'wight' twice and 'it' with a capital I in the middle of a sentence. Very sloppy and very unprofessional.
    I genuinely don’t think I’ve read a match report on the official site since Charlton Life was invented.
    Must admit, neither have I. 
  • Sage said:

So,                  Phillips 
                        Bauer Sarr
    Foster-Caskey. Cullen. Aribo. Bielik. Williams. Reeves. Fosu
                          Taylor

Does it for me!😉
    JFC winner in the play-off final?

and remember Robbo who broke his leg and played through the final with it
  • Hi might next season but with Bielik and Cullen here I’m not convinced a fit JfC gets in our current midfield 
  • Hi might next season but with Bielik and Cullen here I’m not convinced a fit JfC gets in our current midfield 
    Agreed but i'd find a place for JFC on the bench even if it's at the expense of Lapslie for example.

I like Lapslie but i'd rather in the play offs JFC is brought on if we need a goal. As much as I admire the work Bowyer has done and I stand to be corrected but have we had any subs score coming off the bench this season? If so it can't be many at all.
  • Is he a better midfielder than Cullen, Bielik, Aribo or Reeves?

Not convinced.
  • Great physio insights, @Sage, really informative, keep 'em coming
    Agreed but i'd find a place for JFC on the bench even if it's at the expense of Lapslie for example.

I like Lapslie but i'd rather in the play offs JFC is brought on if we need a goal. As much as I admire the work Bowyer has done and I stand to be corrected but have we had any subs score coming off the bench this season? If so it can't be many at all.
    Igor away to AFC Wimbledon
    Marshall home to AFC Wimbledon
    Ajose away to Portsmouth
    Marshall home to Mansfield(FA Cup)

Thats all I could see on flashscore although they only go as far back as Barnsley in October so not sure if there were more before then
  • edited March 2019
    Redrobo said:
    Sage said:

So,                  Phillips 
                        Bauer Sarr
    Foster-Caskey. Cullen. Aribo. Bielik. Williams. Reeves. Fosu
                          Taylor

Does it for me!😉
    With that personnel, we’d see better balance with:

Phillips
    Bielik Bauer Sarr
    Fosu Aribo Cullen Forster-Caskey Reeves
    Williams
    Taylor

Or we could play Bielsa’s classic 3-3-1-3: